THC, THC-A solubility comparison

THCA is not significantly water soluble. The solubility difference is negligible in Alkane solvents like heptane. Simple alcohols dissolve neutral and acidic cannabinoids almost immediately.

Heptane may be safer and easier to get where your from but it’s high boiling point makes it not ideal. Just use Ethanol if your not extracting quality cannabis.

Decarb after

Heptane may have a high boiling point but it evaporates much faster than alcohol. Much faster. @Dabatronicus

Wait what? Evaporation is directly connected to boiling point. @Photon_noir Will heptane evaporate faster then ethanol as ScoobieDoobie is suggesting?

I had the same questions, and so far I’m here

HEPTANE vs HEXANE

PROS:

• It’s supposed to be less dangerous to have an accident with it.
  • It’s USP Class 3 Residual Solvents List instead of 2.
  • See this by @Future: Heptane vs hexane wash - #3 by Future
  • Will evaporate faster I guess (how are these not proportional, what am I not getting?):
         Heptane: ΔvapH° [32.00; 36.90] kJ/mol (Bu-Ac=1) = 3
         Hexane: ΔvapH° [30.00; 32.10] kJ/mol (Bu-Ac=1) = 8.3
         Ethanol: ΔvapH°[38.90; 42.59] kJ/mol (Bu-Ac=1) = 2.8

CONS:

• Hexane has lower boiling point by ~20C
  • Needs more vacuum, more heat thus more cooling a the the condenser, ergo less energy.

Of course I can’t edit this ^$^%@^ post.

So pros: pros of heptane over hexane and cons means: pros of hexane over heptane

Last line: ergo more energy

Yes, you are totally right.
All right people, I will create the other topics and this will revert to the original.

Is there a preferred way to do this? Post the links in here afterwards?

Go onto the main page

https://future4200.com

+New topic

Got that, my question is how do I link them, like post this here: “I split this thread, these are the new threads… etc”?

I create some topics soon not just these in here, I just need to finish a drawing something first.

Defiantly
I work with hexane or methanol in 200 liters in the still
Hexane will evap of in almost 1/2 the time that methanol does
22 L an hour for methanol
36 L an hour for hexane
Same parameters on the still

1 Like

Methanol: ΔvapH°=38.278 kJ/mol (Bu-Ac=1) = 4.1
So evap rates i got, I need to research Enthalpy of vaporization more

1 Like

Boiling point is the point at which a liquid physically starts to boil and nothing more. A solvent can have a higher boiling point and still evaporate faster than a solvent thats got a lower boiling point, it depends on the intermolecular forces of the solvent molecule. The intermolecular forces between alcohol molecules is stronger than the IMF between alkanes. As a result heptane molecules tend to get excited and escape the solution as a vapor at a quicker rate than alcohol due to the hydrogen bonding capabilities of alcohol. What really matters is the vapor pressure of a solvent. This will tell you which solvent evaporates faster.

In other words, because alcohol has an OH group it has a stronger degree of attraction to its surrounding alcohol molecules that stick together via hydrogen bonding.

6 Likes

Just got for knowledge butane stops evaporating at around -60C
You can not light it anymore from the outside of the flask

3 Likes

To see differences in speed of evaporation between 2 compounds, you can look at their “vapor pressures”… vapor pressure is proportional to the number of molecules in the vapor phase above the liquid in the headspace of a closed container of that liquid at a certain temperature. Compounds with higher vapor pressure evaporate faster than those with lower vapor pressures, for a given temperature… whether the compound is at its boiling point or even below it.

Vapor pressure is related to the energy of vaporization. As you can see from @zanog 's table, heptane takes less energy than ethanol to evaporate 1 mole of the compound. If you look up the 25°C vapor pressures of heptane and ethanol, you will also see that heptane’s is higher than ethanol’s.

8 Likes