THC-o Acetate Time! Wtf did my buddy buy?!?!

Hey all,

Headys here, formerly @NorthCarolindica

A processing buddy of mine recently ordered a Kilo of THC-O acetate from a reputable CBD / D8 supplier. Against my advice, he dove deep into without getting a sample product in and assuming customers want it.

I have plenty of experience with other cannabinoids, but found out about acetate a few weeks ago. I am making this post to see if anyone can answer any questions i have about it and tell me more about wtf this guy purchased!

The biggest red flag to me is the lab test that came with it. It says 1% d8 distallate and ND for every other cannabinoid tested.
I guess my first question here would be how hard is it to test for THC-o right now? Is it difficult but possible or only available at a few experienced labs kind of difficult? The COA looks EXTREMELY shady to me

Going off of that, this mystery distillate is pretty unique but also throws off another red flag to me. This oil is clear and transluscent and refracts the light in a much more distorted way than the kilos of d8 i have handled. However, in the video following this paragraph you can see that the oil has an incredibly low viscocity. It moves instantly and when inside a cartridge flows like a vape juice. Incredibly thin, which follows up to my next question,

What should the consistency of THC-o be like? Thick and firm like d8, or runny like CBC?
The consistency is like a cross between runny but maleable mother liquor i have handled and runny CBC.

Now, I have personally tried the oil. I dabbed it straight up when I got there and noticed a very nice and calming effect set in 20 minutes after, and felt really nice and chilled out with a decent buzz 30 minutes in. I have been mixing it with wax and i do notice that it enhances the effects over time. It seems to have THC-o in it from what i am experiencing, but not sure of the overall concentration.

4 Likes

In my unprofessional opinion:

Boof it and let us know what happens

Don’t go in dry though.

Edit: well did you boof it OP???

20 Likes

This is the same thing that i said when i received that COA. I then received this COA from KCA labs that has the peak at the end. Going to grab some samples to try out. Over all though not that impressed yet. Poor shelf life, vinger smell , low viscosity.

@kcalabs do you have any input on this coa.

5 Likes

Definitely smells like vinegar / ruins fast. Nailed it on the head. @ProEndo
Same with OPS dab experience. Shelf life is not Bueno.

3 Likes

I have been reading about that. i should have also me tioned the distillate is oxidizing fast, was water clear when i got it and now is hydratred piss yellow color and has a faint apple cider vinegar odor that is starting to develop. I got it the day the oil came in btw

1 Like

Cayman supplies an analytical reference standard, so that is a good start. The lab would then have to validate an instrument method. Not hard, but the Cayman standard is not a CRM (not sure if other providers have one) so labs putting an ISO stamp on their COAs wouldn’t be able to include it.

3 Likes

Thank you! i actually got off the phone with my lab and fotunately that already ordered the standard for their equipment and will be able to test early next week! Ill keep you guys posted with the results

My lab tech and i were talking about the shelf life and degreagation behind the THC-o acetate. He was saying that the acetate bond will break off but is unsure what the molecule will degrade into when this happens!

1 Like

I also forgot to send this picture of water soluble nano infused acetate they sent a sample of. Thats basically how the carts move. Anyone know why this is so milky / cummy looking???

Also, when i made a sample of carts with it infused with other cannabinoids, the solution appeared to look like coconut oil when mixed with ethanol to clean out the container. There were seperated bubbles at the bottom that look like there was coco oil or butter added to the mix, but was just cannabinoids and terps

1 Like

The white stuff is most likely because they are using a cyclodextrin complex to encapsulate it to call it “Nano”

6 Likes

Its strange that its separating like that. Maybe polarity?? Idk not educated enough for that one

2 Likes

Because the THC acetate has decomposed, the acetate has turned into acetic acid leaving you with salad dressing.

It’s been said around here before that thc acetate has a very short shelf life and needs to be consumed very quickly.

You should never buy a kilo of it unless you’re having a big party lol

15 Likes

If you neutralize and dry it you can probably just re-acetylate but you still run into storage problems.

I’d just market that nano as “Cannabis cumstain” or “Wookie cum”

11 Likes

The acetate needs to be kept dry as fuck in order to prevent hydrolysis, but even then traces of acetic acid (which has a pretty low odour threshold) will show up. Shelf life isn’t actually that bad though. Take a whiff of some aspirin tablets, they all smell like vinegar but still don’t show much decomposition even if stored for ages.

19 Likes

The acetyl bond is far more stable than you suggest. The decomposition product would be ketene not acetic acid. Combustion of almost all biomass produces acetic acid. For the acetyl group to be liberated, it would take an incredible temperature in excess of 300C+ or an immense voltage along the lines of a GC-MS.

8 Likes

So what exactly happens here when the acetate degrades? You said it degrades into ketene, but what about the THC-o acetate itself? Would it convert to another cannabinoid or be plain Thc-o? Thanks for the info so far good stuff in this thread!

1 Like

My bad that question was actually for @boutybouty but I do appreciate the input!

THC-O-Acetate hydrolyzes with water back into THC and acetic acid.

It’s actually protected by the acetate ester (to some degree) from getting oxidized by atmospheric Oxygen to the coloured quinone.

4 Likes

Let the Acetate games begin, there is no known delta 8 THC O Acetate standard just D9.

6 Likes

Interesting so in theory if the acetate bond were to degrade then you would be left with delta 9?

1 Like