THC and CBC in Distillate

Had some guys in lab run some CO2 oil to distillate. The CO2 oil tested at 88% THC before distillation and minimal in other cannabinoids. After being distilled the distillate tested a like 77% THC and around 20% or so in CBC. They said it has been happening for the last couple months so not a one time thing. Any ideas how this is happening?

88 % thca and 77 % thc
two diff things

ND for CBC in crude?

This was just THC not A. The CO2 oil tested at 88% THC and very little CBC. The distillate tested at 77% THC and like 20% CBC. Where did the CBC come from?

1 Like

can you give us any info on ph of the crude? From what I understand various acid levels push cannabinoids to isomerize

1 Like

Will have to get back to you on that. It is a lab down here in PR. I do hydrocarbon and distillate. My partners do the CO2. They also said it has just been happening for the last couple months. Any idea why it is happening now or what is causing it? They did change growers at couple months ago as well and are using different nutrients in the feed. Could that be a possible cause? Just the change in PH of the water and feed the grower is using will impact the plant ph and therefore the oil, correct?

1 Like

Well I have a friend who uses a specific nutrient to cause more cbg

2 Likes

I will post a copy of the test report tomorrow and test the PH. What levels would I be looking for in the crude?

I’d put my money on this and it probably isn’t even CBC but d10 masquerading as CBC.

I’d be interested to hear how they managed the distillation run, specifically the mantle. Ramp up too slow and this can happen if the PH conditions are conducive.

4 Likes

it’s NOT CBC.
they are wrecking** your THC

http://future4200.com/search?q=delta10

edit:

**ok lets use “isomerizing”

6 Likes

I love this.

I think it is Delta 10 for the win or loss in this case, lol. Thanks guys. Thank god it is not my THC but a partners. So next question. Since they changed growers around the same time as this happening, is it due to the now different ph of the co2 crude? The equipment and operating procedure are the same for distillation now as before it was happening. Would an equipment change fix this? Or would it still happen due to ph even if better equipment was used and lower temps during distillation? They are using Chemglass and a Chinese mantle, but a larger Edwards vacuum pump. Stays around 50 or so microns duing runs. But he is currently taking a long time and could be over heating on the cheap mantle.

1 Like

Like up to 8 hours or more sometimes on a 2L.

Yeah that’s a long time for 2L.

@cyclopath is correct, most likely D10, not CBC. Was there any delta 8 indicated in testing? It’s common for all 3 thc isomers show up. If you’re in California feel free to message me and I am happy to assist with identification.

You can also get higher CBG crude by extracting material that has a lot of seeds in it. I’d like to learn more about how certain nutrients promote varying cannabinoid profiles, sounds interesting.

3 Likes

ouch, I’d rather have the CBC…

If it’s testing at a higher percentage before distillation you have to look at the conditions, as others have said acidity can cause isomerization or other break-down products.

I find it highly unlikely that the plant material is causing this. Any chemicals sprayed on the plant is another story…

What PH levels is the oil supposed to be? And at what levels would isomerization occur?

Neutral is best. 7-7.5 iirc

Any swing low or high can cause destabilization of these molecules, Although any acidic conditions can quickly cause these results.

We see it often with people who try to get better color by loading a flask with an acid activated media. But it can be caused a number of ways. The first thing to audit is the distillation process. Contamination from previous runs or cleaning products, Poorly made glassware, Vacuum leaks, environmental conditions.

Past that the Extraction process needs to be vetted. if theyre ever exposing an extract to direct contact to dry ice, you may leach some carbonic acid from the sublimation, and that will mess with your purity and color

Past that it could possibly be from the growing, but its relatively uncommon. I honestly have no idea what those factors may be

1 Like