THC Acetate SOP

FYI - for anyone ordering acetic anhydride. chemical suppliers are required to divulge your information to the DEA.

Despite its wide array of use in industry, Acetic anhydride is a list I precursor chemical and if you order it, your name/company/address will be placed in a DEA registry.

6 Likes

I thought acetic anhydride was list 2? Same as acetone, where you have to order a shit load in order for it to set off any flags for the DEA.

However you can easily make it “at home” with Acetyl chloride and sodium acetate. Both of which can be ordered without any federal notifications.

3 Likes

You can substitute acetic anhydride with acetyl chloride. You have to use more acetyl chloride though since it is extremely reactive.

Acetyl chloride can also make hydrochloric acid gas fumes if you are not careful

Yes you are correct, my bad, it’s list II. I think the threshold quantity for dea registry is significantly smaller than acetone though

Someone who is not me mentioned that if you’re ordering liters, you will get a phone call or knock from your local DEA office with a few questions. It’s best to avoid that whole scenario imho

2 Likes

You can get away with a 4L purchase. That will last you a long time if you want to push carts

4 Likes

I’m not 100% sure on the veracity of this claim. But do what you gotta do fellas.

It’s super simple to make yourself, just saying.

2 Likes

Yeaaa, a knock on your door from the DEA with questions is never fun, even if the state is allowing you to do what you’re doing. Those visits can easily lead to a boot through your door and a rifle in your face in the middle of the night. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I’m just saying with two different firms, I’ve pulled 8 L of this stuff into shop.

2 Likes

Which vendor is selling the vacuum sealed vape carts?

1 Like

So my friend who has much more chemistry knowledge than myself was asking how cannabinoids, being zwitterions, can be turned into an acetate form, as he assumed it wasn’t possible to do as you can an alkaloid. Figured I’d ask here to get a detailed explanation just out of curiosity.

Amino acids are typically zwitterions. A zwitterion is a molecule with an acid and a base present in the system. They react with themselves or another molecule in the batch to make a salt. Amino acids are know for this because of the amine and the carboxylic acid in the scaffold.

Cannabinoids only have the hydroxyl group present in the scaffold. That phenol is considered an acid. There is no base present in the molecule.

4 Likes

Ahh, good to know. So why can’t you make THC hydrochloride?

There is not a base in the molecule to accept a proton.

The hydroxyl group can accept a proton, but it is not favorable so it gets deprotonated. If you want a THC HCl salt you need a basic functional group (amine) on the molecule to make it.

However, you could deprotonate with an amine but then you have an ionic salt of THC hydroxide and a quatenary amonium salt. You would not be able to separate them. You also have a competing reaction with thc quinone.

6 Likes

yadav2002.pdf (294.7 KB)

Do you think it’s possible to effectively acetylate with acetic acid plus catalyst? I just read this paper and was pondering this. I’m brainstorming before distilling acetal chloride and sodium acetate or building a ketene lamp like a madman.

@anon93688

Thanks a lot. Very nice of you.

I looked into legality of THC acetate last year and was advised because it’s a cannabimimetic i’ts not legal in the US, at least in the state where I reside (which has medical and recreational).

THC acetate is also a pro-drug “because acetyl drops off in the body”

I would be interested to hear opinions. And if anyone knows of legal sales?

U.S. Criminalizes Designer Drugs

1 Like

Has anyone ever heard of, or seen THC or CBD acetate being sold in regulated markets? Not in terms of if it can be made, but if it’s legal to sell.

And thinking now, I wonder if it’s even legal to make? The attorney I spoke with was only responding to me regarding legal to sell.

If you used delta 8 you might be able to get away with it as long as its from hemp

2 Likes

anybody consume some of this yet? what was it like? recommended dosage? can you overdose? Im a very curious turtle :relaxed:

Yeah. It’s pretty sweet.