Thank me later Δ8THC via ptsa

damn dog don’t gotta massacre the boi.

9 Likes

Why do I feel like you’re always arguing and going back and forth with someone in these threads. The D9 thread where you claimed to hit it but had no proof to back it. Same thing with the j12 diamond miner tek you claimed to have but never showed proof but insisted your tek was better than jars… and let’s not forget about the one that someone said you did a horrible consultation job and wanted to inform us about.

Starting to see a pattern here.

Edit: I’ve seen you justify your diamond miner tek in another thread so you don’t have to explain yourself again… figured I’d try and save you the time of trying to explain some of those again… all good just saying

3 Likes

As we’ve talked about ptsa anhydride will be much better for D9

The diamonds thread with j12 was all over me not having made diamonds in a prv valve added to a lid of a mason jar( which bg had also posted which gave me the idea to draw one up. Yes I did not make diamonds with it but it’s a simplistic design for someone who can’t obtain a miner. As I said in that thread more of a safety precaution & better for growth than just a lid. Not once said it’ll outperform a miner, just allow more space in a oven than one.

2 Likes

For what its worth, toluene famously has a very favorable azeotrope with water (85C, 80wt% MePh, 20wt% water). Its considered commonplace to distill toluene to dry it. Not that heptane doesn’t have a decent (but less favorable) azeotrope with water (79C, 87wt% nC7, 13 wt% water).

Bearing that in mind, one might say toluene is easier to dry via distillation.

10 Likes

If D9 is the goal wouldn’t phosphoric be the simplest route?

Also, any reason you can’t run this reaction in hexane?

3 Likes

Phos acid is rather tough to dry out and is a lot of work compared to some of the other methods that use pyrophorics.

1 Like

Um, i think you may have written something wrong there… What you wrote is the azeotrope for toluene is wetter – that means trying to dry by distillation would be less useful.

Ptsa, phosphoric or hcl

Some run hexane for d8, I guess that’s just another toxic solvent though

2 Likes

I’m not sure if ptsa is capable of hitting high D9. About 70% even tosic acid in a anhydrous from.

Even having an inert atmosphere, I can’t see why anyone would run TIBAL considering the cost, safety and accessibility of 85%.

Yes, it’s a more complete reaction and I understand the value of that. Still, I personally think there’s no good reason to mess with it for d9

1 Like

I agree. I’ve personally never tried it but have heard a few people having success with it. Oxidation being one of the issues with a pyrophoric method…

sure sure; but nowhere in his SOP does he call for azeotropic distillation; still calls for the usage of a desiccant.

2 Likes

Hexane will accomplish much the same conversion, or similar enough. But, more notably, the drawback to hexane is…having to use hexane. Toluene is a teratogen that is also bad for your central nervous system. Hexane is bad for the ozone layer, and bad for your central nervous system. Whereas heptane is incapable of the chemistry hexane does with ozone, and is not a known teratogen. If all three solvents work, you usually go with the least offensive to your body and the environment.

16 Likes

Cause the azetrope distillation for it would be for another sop.

Not to mention removing toluene from the solution in the roto… which may need to be azeotrope in another solvent to fully remove the toluene out of the cannabinoids?

1 Like

You don’t have to pull my arm twice to get me to put away a disgusting smelling solvent in the back of the fire box. I had hexane, I now also have n-heptane, guess its time to try that one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely no mistake here.

Ok picture this - two identical vessels with 50L of wet heptane (say 200 mL water in 49.8L solvent) and in the other vessel 50L of equally wet toluene. Now you raise both of those vessels to reflux and start collecting distilled solvent. You would need to distill off less volume from the toluene reactor to remove all 200 mL of the water. Does this clarify what I mean? The vapor coming off is wetter, which means its removing more water from the bulk liquid. Your dry solvent is not what is distilled, its what remains in the vessel when you stop distilling.

12 Likes

Ok yes, i get what you’re saying now.

First of all thank you for that explanation, I found it very informative.

I’m wondering, is there is any reason not to use sodium sulfate to dry solvents? Versus say, distillation

2 Likes

Oh, I know. I was just stating something that is both true and loosely relevant.

1 Like