Thank me later Δ8THC via ptsa

the secret is to just not integrate it.

10 Likes

I always do w:w even with solvents

2 Likes

1:1 would be solvent : isolate

I’ve done

No it actually stays relative temp throughout the entire reaction at 53-58c in the solution once it’s all added together.

1 Like

The hump before isn’t d9 the shoulder coming off 9 would argue is d9. I’ve posted it over layer with a standard run before

right. we read that.

the question is:

is that 1kg per kg or 1l per kg?!?

6 Likes

@eyeworm is asking if you do weight:volume or weight:weight.

Your answer isn’t very clear because it’s common to measure solvent by volume but it’s also commonly measured by weight.

9 Likes

I understand that 1:1 means the ratio of solvent to isolate, what’s missing are the units of measurement. 1:1 could mean you used 1 kilogram of solvent per kilogram isolate, or it could mean 1 liter of solvent per kilogram of isolate. These are not the same thing.
1 kg toluene per kg CBD = 1.15 L toluene per kg CBD
1 kg heptane per kg CBD = 1.46 L heptane per kg CBD, see what I mean?

I also assume 2% means 2 mole percent?

I think I understand what you’re saying, but the way its presented is a little unclear. You mentioned the toluene being at 75C, but then your reaction temperature is in the mid 50’s, but then you also mention reflux at some point which would be 110C for toluene. What I think would provide clarity is: what temperature you add your catalyst, what temperature you run the reaction at, and for what duration do you hold your reaction at that temperature.

4 Likes

Got ya okay yeah it’s w:v not w:w

5 Likes

Just to hear it enough prior to homogenizing with cbd, it will cool by the time being added to reactor. Watching the thermoprobe youll voice up to to 53-58c during reaction once acid is added. It starts room temp.

2 Likes

no reason 1:1 couldn’t be a molar ratio.

you know, like when making water with fire

2:1 hydrogen to oxygen.

…because Stoichiometry matters!!

14 Likes

Yes, the reaction should be done in Heptane. And only 1% PTSA. And only for 4 hours, and not in an inert atmo. :call_me_hand:t4:

7 Likes

and now I see why so many are against it

:green_heart::facepunch:

now if u choose to smoke it at least u know what it is

2 Likes

The addition of PTSA does cause a drastic exothermic increase. 10-30c increase at 1% TsOH and 1:1 (CBD:Heptane). :call_me_hand:t4: I just reduce my reactor temp to 50c, allow it to stabilize, then add in TsOH. I’m about to put our 10-20Kg, 100L reactor method SOP up for everyone :white_check_mark:

13 Likes

why on earth would you use toluene?!? that shits nasty as fuck; whenever you can substitute a solvent for a less dangerous/toxic solvent always do it; its not going to effect yields what so ever.

this reaction is as easy as they come; no need to complicate it by using solvents that you shouldnt be exposing yourself too; plus all the post processing and waste management associated with tol makes it a bitch

also it says run condenser at 10-15c; this must be a typo; run that shit as cold as you possibly can.
also; wtf is “gravity free fall” ? lmaoooo :rofl:

23 Likes

I choose toluene for this write up, heptane will work as well never said it wouldn’t. Toluene just happens to be easier to dry than heptane IMO if you need to take it that direction. If you’re scared of toluene oh well, handle it properly & you’ll be fine as long as you wear ppe.

The gravity free fall is for those whom don’t have a proper vac assisted filtration setup. It’ll still flow.

I’m with Rock… this reaction should be done with nHeptane, not toluene.

11 Likes

Either or works. Just a matter of the technician handling properly & removing residuals.

Residual water does not have that much of an impact as often thought.
heptan should yield the same.

1 Like

its called gravity filtration; your just making up your own terms as you go along; SOPs should always use correct language.

you should be wearing PPE regardless

citation needed drying a solvent is drying a solvent.

13 Likes

Oh my I added free to the term, get over it. I’m not hear to argue solvents or a term with you.

Never argued it, just don’t see why you jump to assume someone that would work with solvent wouldn’t be. Again speaks to a technicians handling & care.

Drying a solvent as in removing all water content of solvent via a drying agent. Why should I have to cite that for you? No it is not a part of this process but it is a reason I myself choose toluene over heptane for certain aspects.

1 Like