Terpenes evaporate/degrade temp

I’ve read somewhere that certain terpenes will begin to evaporate off at temperatures as low as 70°F, although most will begin to degrade at around 100°F, can anyone confirm or elaborate on this?

1 Like

Under vacuum they can withstand stability up to 100-130c but they have to be handled a certain way and rapidly condensed after. If they condense with the presence of air it can cause the degradation.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I see most people are heating up distillate with terps at temps between 125-150F when filling them into carts, will that ruin terps?

Evaporation rates also change with pressure, and then it gets even more complicated. In your reactor or oven, do you smell terps when you turn on the vacuum pump? If so, then you just lost them. Or, are you concerned about loss when filling carts? What equipment are you using to fill carts? You can fine tune equipment and use a little technique to have an easier time making a better cart.

3 Likes

Say making carts mixing on hot plate mag stirring what’s to hot?

Anything. You want a sealed glass vessel.

1 Like

Meh: Be careful what you turn into a pressure vessel.

3 Likes

Yea that scares me also

Yeah, don’t use glass, that’s almost as dumb as open blasting in a basement.

The pictures you have seen, if you keep up with the comments apparently some high ass dude put water in the jacket and capped it off with a cap, then placed a vessel completely sealed on a hot plate and created a steam pot. For obvious reasons this is dangerous and about as negligent as putting your arm in a wood chipper obvious.

You can use a vessel made of glass to seal and mix terps. In fact the majority of the industry bakes mason jars in ovens to grow crystals and that seems to be fine even though there is a danger with cheap glass and high pressures.

When mixing terps there is relatively near zero pressure. Even if you seal it on a jar with a stir pill it will not explode. The temps are mild and do not stress glass as well as being able to see that is it fully mixed up.

It’s not about the safety of the materials persay. It’s about the safety applied by the users or the malicious acts by said people. Ergo, drunk morons in labs.

Negligence is recommending people heat and mix volatile mixtures inside of sealed glass vessels. Mason jars at least have a lid that will crack almost like a prv. What you are recommending is… wow.

1 Like

Mason jars have no prv crack, they have a hard seal between the glass and flat lid/ring. Like wow.

When you take terpenes that have a very low volatility and near no vapor pressures alone, and mix them with distillate there is no “volatility” or danger of having any pressures that could affect user safety. Distillate itself with added 10% terps would have redactive effect to any volatility and presumed pressures you are suggesting to begin with.

Side note. If you take butane with a average of 30 psi at a high temp and say have it at a 10% into a solution with substance dissolved, the pressure is barely 4psi. Other substances affect the pressure rating of another substance/chemical. This is far not a comparison to terpenes which do not have volatility behavior compared to butane.

4 psi in what volume container?

1 Like

TBQF IME, you don’t really need a sealed container to mix terps with distillate, the lowest BP of the most common terps is 107c, and sure, they will vaporize a bit before their BP, but the loss is quite minimal unless you’re just being excessively negligent/reckless. If you feel you need to mix better than using a stir bar or something similar, get a homogenizer. No need to run a sealed container, glass or otherwise.

1 Like

Lid is 60” diameter…that will be fine right?!?

3 Likes

Thanks for your explanation, so higher pressure decrease the evaporation rate? Filling carts is not my work, but some of our customers use automatic filling guns to fill carts. I am curious if terps will loss when filling carts in high temp(like above 130℉) :

But it seems to depend on many factors, not just temperature.

Crazy, but I did saw some YouTuber heated up distillate in sealed glass vessels

1 Like

Feel like I start lose terps between 150-180 above that the batch is ruined. I’m using manual feeling method and making small numbers of each.

1 Like

Is this the temp of hot plate or oil? If you mean oil temp that it’s too hot.