TERPENE steam distillation

I was thinking of buying a steam distillation kit and making my own cannabis terpenes. What the yield per pound and what kit do you recommend?

2 Likes

If you do can I buy some? Are these anything like co2 terps

3 Likes

I have CO2 terps available if interested?

4 Likes

I’m not sure how they differ from co2 but hopefully someone can elaborate more on the difference as well as the yields.

2 Likes

The heat from the steam distillation changes the terpenes, no heat is used in CO2 so the profile remains true.

8 Likes

I use lab society steam distillation setup. Yield off of trim is about 1% or more if its good trim.
Dosent smell good right away because of thiols or something, but tastes just like fresh flower “green hit” without the smoke.

4 Likes

Don’t steam distill, it does not make a product that is even close to representing the real smell and taste of the input cultivar
—
CO2 Terps aren’t all the way there either.
—
Butane/Propane extracted terpenes separated from diamonds are the only true representation of the plant. It’s more difficult and many strains don’t do well but rosin can also achieve the same quality. Both can be further cleaned without clays or bleaching media to be completely free of canabinioids but gas extract are the easiest

22 Likes

CO2 uses pressure, which creates heat, it also forces terpenes closer together causing reactions, especially with the far from inert CO2 present.

4 Likes

Asking cause I don’t know.

Could I not utilize solvation effects and the fact terpenes are a natural solvent to just do a specific LLE?

Louching?

2 Likes

@BrotanicalMatt

The active volatile compounds are not all terpenes. Capturing all of them, in the same ratio, is the trick. Terpenes, Terpenoids, Smaller isoprenoids, alcohols, alkane, alkenes, etc etc.

Terpenes is a misnomer that needs to die.

20 Likes

Thank you chosen one ! :pray:

Imma put the thinking cap on.

Buy the terpenes isolated. Smoke and dab them with Thc and/or THCA at whatever ratio you find for your favorite strain.

Then observe if you get high like high quality cannabis, spoiler: you won’t, at all.

3 Likes

I’m interested!

Your telling me you cant get high off of thc and thca isolate with terps?? I beg to differ unless were talking about minute differences in the effects .

You can already find em cheaper :joy::rofl:

1 Like

Exactly

I get LIT from my distillate dabs. Zero Terps, albeit residual.

6 Likes

Yea i honestly prefer to dab my distillate uncut, When i dab my Distillate or diamonds dipped in the HTFSE i’ll get HELLA anxiety however i’ve been working with some heavy Sativa strains lately

6 Likes

co2 definitely uses heat

2 Likes

Subcritical co2 is under 88f isn’t it?

I definitely disagree. yeah basic use of a steam distiller isnt ideal but the principle can give you perfectly unadulterated terpenes. Any solvent extraction is greatly changing those dynamics.

4 Likes