Terpene Degradation

In trying to create a good sauce that will not sugar in a syringe, I tried putting some sauce in a mason jar with a good amount of head space, and decarbing in an oven at 250F. Some R &D was showing that in that oven, it was taking about 9 hours to fully decarb the sauce. When the sauce is opened after the decarb, there is the smell of CO2 even after that has been removed, the sauce smells pretty off, almost sour.

I am assuming that terpenes degraded, are these degradation products tested for by any/most labs?
Would you consume a product that was made this way?
At this temp/time would you be worried about significant degradation of terpenes? Any thoughts on the production of benzene from degradation of myrcene or other similar terpenes?

Just trying to wrap my head around this, any and all input welcome.

1 Like

Two primary options to avoid degradation in the common scenario.
Go lower temp for longer; low and slow.
Or spin separate and decarb the thca on its own so there is no risk of the other fraction being degraded.

Not certain on your questions about testing or other worries, there has been studies that do show the conversion to benzene but that took place at higher temps, but was done over a much different time frame. Im sure there are labs that could easily test for benzene.
If its sour and off smelling from potential degradation I wouldnt recommend it as a usable product, even if it has no safety issues.

4 Likes

Sounds like your terpenes are oxidizing. You need to do your decarbing in a stainless steel vessel. Pull vacuum then backfill with n2 to a positive 5-10psi. Let it go for several days on a hot plate or sous vide bath at around 140-160°F.

When finished decarbing I toss the vessel in the freezer to allow any vaporized terps to condense.

7 Likes

Decarb at 125f on a hot mantel till percolation of thca stops & you’ll have dank smelling d9 that won’t sugar. Remember to keep rpms around just enough to break surface tension. If using a flat bottom flask it’s very possible to remove atmosphere or go inert to preserve terps :call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Someone should look into decarbing by means of ultrasound at low temps
I think that the microsecond high heat is good for decarbing but NOT for terpene degradation

1 Like

The proper process to do what you are trying to do is loading your sauce into a spd7, harvesting all the terps and flavors first. Then bumping out the “rotten” smelling components that will taint the solution inside flask. Then you can decsrb in flask for correct psycoactive layer of go right to distillate.
Then mix it together. You need to use a device to purely harvest your flavors and then remove the mod range compounds that aren’t psycoactive to begin with.

2 Likes

Anytime is the right time for a sales pitch if your Elliott

6 Likes

if he would have called it the “cold path” he would have had SO MUCH seo, so much that he would not need to advertise

So thissssss is how everyone’s getting them quick testers

how does one bump tap a harvested test for higher potencies ?

That was a typos I meant terps.

1 Like

Dude is literally spelling out a problem there is a solution and sop for, directly for the results he’s asking for.

2 Likes

I figured lol, was just to good a chance to pass up

I don’t think you understand how popular and wide spread the spd7 patented setup is. We sell alot of them and alot of companies use it and don’t tell a spike hat they are doing with it so they can have a edge with thier carts. I’m just offering a solution to a problem. Also it only does terps when cold, I wouldn’t call it cold path since it’s intended uses are directed to refined feed stock solution. Wich can be ran at room temp all the way to 300c for whatever product. Generally in our industry it’s a specific tool for a set of jobs. And the name persists it’s a ultra unit coined and named by myself in a effort to namesake express exactly how short of a path it has and first in history to become a new catalog item in glass technology for what it is.

2 Likes

I think its dope as fuck. I think its even more dope how Summit puts a lot of effort into watching the market, capitalizing on trends, and evolving with the market. Not everyone is trying to rip off “lab society” :rofl::joy:

I take quite a few pages from your book too.

2 Likes

We are the most watched and coppies for a reason. I plan to break the spdwebs with spd8. And the new shit I’ve been diligently working on.

1 Like

I still wanna play with the head :unamused:

is this some irc channel im not aware of

2 Likes

next week on wookglass anonymous

1 Like

is spd7 terp harvesting process done under vac? is this the spd7 usp head or the terpene distillation kit?
@spdking

1 Like

Honestly, I’m sure it works great. You make awesome shit. It’s just hilarious how you always pop in with a slight sales pitch. I respect your game, but this is funny as hell every way I look at it

4 Likes