Terpene Degradation

A couple of things will screw with terpenes which are extremely volatile compounds that can easily become oxidized under certain conditions. Things you want to avoid:

1. Moisture
  2. Oxygen
  3. Excessive Heat

Issues 1 & 2 can be avoided by purging the system and backfilling with DRY gas.

A good way to do it would be to heat the chamber and pull vacuum overnight. This removes a large portion of vapor. Backfill with nitrogen and purge again.

When you want to fill the oven it gets difficult, because if you can’t maintain positive pressure relative to the room you add moisture and oxygen back into the chamber. You could help reduce this by allowing nitrogen to flow while you’re openining the chamber. But BEWARE, a 100% nitrogen atmosphere can fuck you up big time. Make sure you reduce the amount of time you’re breathing in more nitrogen than naturally occurs in the air.

2 Likes

Well it’s a glassware setup really and can be used in any mantle. For terps we suggest a weaker but controlled vario style diaphragm or controlled diaphragm pump. For isolation or highly remediated feed stock it can run with standard e2m30 configuration

Insert car salesmen meme

2 Likes

Light is a an enemy of terpenes as well

4 Likes

Insert spd8 giveaway ! Make a lottery ! I’ll buy a ticket

4 Likes

Raffle ticket time. Man I could think of some cool raffles. I think I need to ask the lawyer about doing this. I think this is considered gambling and need to be worded in a certain way but man this would be a cool promotion

3 Likes

You mfers want summit to do a spd8 raffle???..

What’s a spd8 head raffle ticket worth…

Who would buy the tickets?

5 Likes

A lottery is the ONLY WAY I think I would EVER be able to afford anything from Summit!

I 100% would buy a ticket.

But I think it should be for all the glassware. Not just the head.

1 Like

I’d try my best to buy 1 at any price point, but $25 bucks a ticket? I bet you most members would buy 4, or more tickets

2 Likes

I’d buy

1 Like

So what kind of ticket format should be used for a giveaway promotion like this.

2 Likes

i think you should make it $25 a ticket to make it available to even the lowest income person. I talked to my lawyer yesterday about this. He advised me to sell a t-shirt with a free raffle ticket with a chance to win. He told me the selling the raffle tickets is usually for a fundraiser for a NON PROFIT. When your a profit corporation. This has to be done a bit differently. usually a gaming licence is required.

Im gonna be setting something up like this month. I might apply for a gaming license so i can do it right.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to hear that water itself is an issue, I had always assumed it was incidental in terpenes degradation (eg if you have to boil water out of the system you will have to make things warmer than otherwise). Not disagreeing, just curious what the mechanism would be

Especially with oxygen containing terpenes, their bonds become more “active” with heat. Combine that with the coexistence of superheated water molecules, and it’s not too much of a stretch to suggest that hydrolysis or some other water-driven mechanism is occurring

This is just conjecture, but I’ll look to see where someone smarter has explained it more correctly.

3 Likes

Interesting. Do you think this is a factor at or below room temperature?

Absolutely, it’s all about the activation energy required for a mechanism to move forward.

Of course the lower the temperature, the less of that activation energy is taken care of by increased intramolecular “activity” oscillations, movement, etc

Water and Co2 create carbon acid which will oxidize and sour terpenes.

You are creating both (co2 and h2o) in your process and most likely that is the root cause of your off aromas.

1 Like