Tech gurus? Wiring and process control guys? Got a dehumidifier I need to modify controls for

I picked up a cheap dehumidifier I need to run off a controller. The unit now will not turn on by itself it must be manually pressed on to get it to fire up. How should I go about running this thing off a controller cheaply? Should I hardwire the fan and compressor to then run off like an inkbird humidity controller? The unit right now defaults to off when powered up. You have to manually push the button “on” to get it to kick on so a simple plug type controller won’t work

So I just tried plugging it in with my finger on the on button and it fired up as soon as I plugged it in. I guess I could simply put a toggle switch inline to force it “on” as soon as power is applied. I’ll need to probably solder this toggle switch to the back terminals of the “on” button and run it remotely

2 Likes

The built in controller may have some features the inkbird doesn’t. Like defrost mode to kill the compressor when ice forms. Or the ability to control the condensate pump. Best to use what is there if you can.

If I unplug the power to my dehumidifier when it is running it will come back on when plugged back in. So I can use a smart plug to control it.

What is the model number?

How are the buttons and display connected?

Ya this one doesn’t do that unfortunately. Which is my dilemma. It’s a drizair 2400 150ppd aham I scored cheap. I did plug it in while holding the on power button and it kicked on. This might be my cheat to get it to power up when it is energized at the plug. My other fantech 250ppd unit will turn back on when power is lost and reapplied. I.can control that one with a sonoff type controller but unless I can figure out a way to get this other one to power on after power loss it won’t work

Maybe an in-line contactor or relay. Wired from the switch to the system main start. :thinking:

1 Like

Dm me a wiring diagram I’m pretty good with controls solid state or otherwise

3 Likes

You could try to avoid messing with the controller board.

You could try to add a microcontroller that can detect the power state based on the LEDs, then push the button with a small solenoid like this

Mounting it might be a bitch. But you could build some logic into it so it would wait 5 mins between compressor restarts.

1 Like

I can’t find a wiring diagram for the unit.

Although creative I think the solenoid idea is far too elaborate of a system for what I am wanting. if I can somehow figure out a way to get this thing to turn on when it’s energized I can use an ink board type controller to control it. Preferably one of the ones that has a compressor delay built in. What I’m not sure about is how having the on switch permanently engaged in a closed circuit will affect possible other functions of the logic board controller

A relay would work great. You could copy (or take) a system from an A/C or build one for use with arduino controller with this:

These temperature controllers have relays which will switch on whatever you want. I’ve wired these into ghetto-fied window unit a/c chillers and they’ve worked great

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X6SEWS4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00X6SEWS4&pd_rd_w=9ENye&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=cIxfF&pf_rd_r=GMPD241RTH5Y7JJNYNN8&pd_rd_r=53cce0c9-bf37-4a2e-b78f-2d2c3a7f133e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzME9HODBNMDFHUklOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzYwNTAxQlhETENDSU1XVTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDI5MjI5ODFMT0hTUjhPQ0I5MjYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

There are even digital controllers for relative humidity so you could use one of those and it would work just like a thermostat

If you wire it to the main switch with a contactor. The control will still work as usual. Connect the controll board to the contactor coil. You can get a low voltage coil and contactor combo

1 Like

If you need some help dm me and we can work something out. Good luck bro​:+1:t3::blush:

I am guessing this is the connector to the buttons. Does it unplug from the control board?

Do you know the DC voltage of the control board?

i will find out tonight but i believe that ribbon does indeed connect to the faceplate buttons. i could solder a toggle switch there that closes the “on” button circuit. then when im not running the unit off a controller it can be flipped off and function as normal.

tried jumpering the prongs on the faceplate ribbon with a screw. It the first 4 times did nothing but the last 2 made the pump cycle on so looks like I need to find the right combination to jumper to get it to cycle on.

It should be easy to work with. J1 looks like it is a 5 pin right angle header.

I wonder what jumper JP2 does.

Are there only three buttons? On, off and purge

1 Like

It’s only those 3 buttons @blackie

What are the chances The Purge or defrost will not work properly if I jumper the on pins?

I’m pretty sure the condensate pump has a float switch in it so it would kick on automatically anyways I believe

I found the pins to jumper to force it on. The other functions still appear to work minus the off switch which is fine. Gonna solder in a toggle switch so it can be put into “controller” mode and be controlled by an on off type controller maybe a sonoff or something

2 Likes

Nice. Sound like you got where you needed to go.

You could add a microcontroller with a humidity sensor. Then you could set the relative humidity level and have the dehumidifier take care if turning itself on and off as needed. You could get fancy and add WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity…but that makes the code a lot more complex.

2 Likes

thats beyond my skillset i think. hard wiring a toggle switch and plugging the unit into a humidity controller is one thing but coding and making my own controller is quite another lol.

1 Like

well i tried soldering leads to the controller but my hack job soldering skills ruined the board. now none fo the buttons work.

ive found new controllers on ebay for 100 bucks that apparently have the ability to start the unit in the on position if power is lost

2 Likes