Tank pressure safety question

i have two 25lb sanitary solvent tanks that I use to distill my butane , and I run 100 percent n butane . My concern/question is why is it that one of my tanks is less full than the other one but the pressure is higher ? The gauge on my half full tank is reading 55 ish psi , and the gauge on my quarter filled or less tank was reading up to 90 psi. I know it’s not a faulty gauge because I checked it with the prv . And I also no it’s not a temperature difference
Any one got any ideas ?
Maybe air in the tank from not vacuuming the lines before distillation ?

I’m gonna guess headspace to relative temperature

The one w more headspace has turned more the liquid into gas to fill the headspace…the other one has no room to do this. Once it reaches a certain amount psi usually it stops turning into a gas

Purely a guess

@cyclopath ? For the real answer?

2 Likes

I am also not sure but I thought it was the opposite?

1 Like

Your probably right that’s why I ask the wizard of OilZs!

maybe you should get a refrigerant scale

7 Likes

You using n2?

5 Likes

I haven’t ever seen (even an overfilled tank lol) of nbutane hit 90psi. That’s wild.

My isobutane rests at 30-50psi even in the summer, and this has a lower BP…

3 Likes

If I remember correctly he is against the use of n2

Lol

If you recover with no condenser you will hit 90 psi lol

2 Likes

i would dump the tank and see whats up with the gauge. styrofoam from the boxes can get stuck in the hole. but like someone said…ive never seen about 45psi from Butane and thats running like 100F.

you really need to be above 120F to see that pressure. sounds like a gauge and overfilling i dont think will create that pressure either…

At 110F it should only be 47psi…

2 Likes

No , no n2

It’s not the gauge because I lowered my prv to release some pressure and to check the gauge

I didn’t use a condenser but I recovered last night and just noticed the pressure being high today

1 Like

Use a refrigerant scale for what ?

1 Like

To make sure u don’t over fill and you’ll know exactly how much to add?

1 Like

Oh my…

You are dense.

Carry on.

3 Likes

The tank with high pressure barely has any butane in it it’s not from over filling

I overfilled one time, before I had a scale. Went back out the next morning and thought my guage was broken Because it was maxed out…

Nope, just way to much butane in my tank lol

2 Likes

My tank is only like a quarter filled Over filling isn’t the issue

I’m gonna go check my 2 tanks

Weigh em and see which has the higher pressure

Check the gauge like @Killa12345 suggested to be on safe side