Talk me into buying a homogenizer

I have achieved stable emulsions using a vitamix with a lid you can vac before mixing. I think these sheer homogenizers (cat, kinematic etc) are stoopit, overpriced garbage. I got one and sent it back. I personally think the vitamix does as good or better job for completely homogenizing edibles. no data to back it up, just my watchful eye and thrifty checkbook… IF I observed the sheer homogenizer worked better, I’d own one.

That said, making water soluble emulsions is not the easy. There are many, many factors that produce the end result. One of those factors is mixing. Here’s water soluble crude homogenized with a Vitamix. Yea. Crude :wink:

5 Likes

A cat 1000 would be perfect for your size.

< img src=“https://cart.farm/laughingwooks >
he doesn’t even make carts :joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

@qma OP asked about dual use, edibles and carts. But more to the point: mixing terps and distillate to squirt in carts is 3.7 shit-tons easier (linked to source) than making crude water soluble. :kissing_heart:

Would i be able to use the x1000 for chocolates and hard candies? That make the cost a little bit easier to swallow.

1 Like

This might be a sour note for @qma as i know he trashed a homogenizer shaft his first run at making gummies.

Just imagine what his answer is gonna be…

2 Likes

Good to hear, thanks!

I actually got it clean with boiling water.

I later learned I was an idiot when I sold the “failure” double batch to the edible girl for $80. She literally added it to bloomed gelatin and it looked normal. I just didnt know what it was supposed to look like or act like.

She came back and showed me a sampling. They were normal gummies, no grainyness like I thought

You can use it for anything that can remain at olive oil consistency. Hard candies are the easiest, but you will want to use a much larger homogenizer than a tiny cat for this purpose. You need either a 1750 and their largest shaft or an actual purpose built homogenizer because edible people have to mix bucket sized amounts of high/exotic viscosity material

2 Likes

we make live resin carts, whats a good homogenizer for 200-300 ml batches? After it mixes are you putting it on a heated stir plate to than make carts?

How hot are you heating the mixture prior to introducing the homogenizer?

1 Like

I know some people using quick bursts in microwave to get distillate to the right temperature.

1 Like

Or the oven

1 Like

Water bath (sous vide) seems like a good option

1 Like

Live resin carts need a lot of work to get right.

The best way to do them is by

separating the thca and hte.

melt the thca in a microwave (30 seconds per ounce in a 1000w)

Dumping the hte back into the melted thca

Homogenizing with a cat 1000 for 45 seconds or less (get from 1 to the highest speed and back down)

Dumping into the filler and carting quick.

1 Like

Can the g20 shaft really be used for 100ml or would I need a different shaft?

Also, how about small batches of candy? My “double batch” of hard candy is probably only 500ml, chocolates are probably 1000-2000ml

It will work for 100 ml in a high form beaker or test tube.

500ml of candy will work if the sugar is sufficiently heated

It sounds like you definitely want one, but maybe not a production unit- your needs could be served easily and economically with a cheaper model (cat is TAXED up too)

3 Likes

If you decarb THCa when you’ve melted down the diamonds to avoid nucleation, does it still apply as live resin cart?..

o_0

1 Like
1 Like

Not all of the thca has time to decarb. Its better to heat a larger amount of distillate up and sprinkle in thca and hte while the distillate is being mixed

I was thinking about smash them before decarb…

Then it need to be rebranded as half dead sauce carts…

)

1 Like

People use this unit with good success I thought?

If it works decent… super affordable.

1 Like

FWIW, I don’t use anything other than hand whisking or mixing for my gummies and chocolates at home. I just submitted for testing and I’m sitting at about a 1%RSD on the final product when tested for homogeneity.

I do use some emulsifying agents in my gummy mixture but in my chocolates I don’t because I’ve found that the distillate seems to incorporate into these mixtures pretty easily - but I do infuse the filled center and not the chocolate itself,

1 Like