Talk about bullshit

Got a email from the director of the hemp department in Oregon that it is federally illegal to feed livestock hemp… I asked what happens if they come and my pigs test positive for cannabinoids, will I be subject to a organized crime investigation like they did all the hemp growers this year? Or can I just say they ate it as a supplement? Because I’m allowed to sell humans this compound and animals as a supplement but not as food?
Currently awaiting a response.
Also the fda law states it is to prevent intestate commerce. So I asked if it is intrastate will Oregon still abide by the fda laws that don’t allow it for interstate? Big fucking no on that.
They got that bayer money son. They aren’t giving up the tax revenue from fertilizer and seed companies. So as prices of feed rise which in turn the meat prices rise the government doesn’t give a shit because it’s a actual business makes more tax revenue the more the public struggles. All this in the name of the publics best interest but they’re fuckng right, we’re fucked as a country and need to raise federal rates but can’t because we will default so in turn it is illegal for me to feed hemp to my livestock in order for the US economy to tax the shit out of people so we can all get out of inflation after we raise interest rates which will costs us more in terms of costs to own a asset.
Talk about bullshit huh.

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s just illegal to sell it as animal feed…

2 Likes

The FDA is as strict as humans when it comes to animal health. This applies to animal feed, supplements and veterinary applications. (We are UL/cGMP with the FDA)

2 Likes

It applies to animal feed, which is also animals that have been fed sold for commerce.
It has nothing to do with supplements as it is federally legal to sell hemp products for human consumption.
It has to do with farmers farming with supplies the government gets to tax.
Established seed companies like Monsanto which is more bayer lobby billions.
I think this is why you don’t see hemp sugar or hemp flour in national products, because it’s not a supplement it is whatever term they use for a meal at that point.
Hemp just didn’t get created there has to be data from the early 1900 on it’s benefits for livestock.
I was under the impression you couldn’t get a hemp cgmp facility authorized. You could use a cgmp facility that was approved for supplements but that might cause problems with the future cgmp certification. That was the situation 3 years ago. Maybe things changed. But cgmp compliant and cgmp certified are two different things correct?
My understanding is hemp businesses cannot be cgmp certified.
So back to livestock, I can’t sell it, or sell a animal that I fed it to the public.
No way that makes sense to anyone.

2 Likes

There are pilot programs underway to get hemp based feeds USDA approved. It will take some time.

6 Likes

I’m aware. But if you monitor the fertilizer prices which influence the feed price which influence meat price and meat increased like 30% last year, isn’t this a emergency? Our meat will be crazy expensive this next year. This will cause inflation to keep rising because all food costs will rise.
The fda approved all these fucking covid shots with the snap of a finger.
They could immediately transition into allowing hemp, and in the next 2 years the farmers would figure out and we would hedge the inflation of meat prices. Or at least try to.
It’s complete bullshit.

4 Likes

Whether it’s food, construction materials, fabrics, etc, the reason you don’t see many industrial hemp products produced on a large scale is because the farming, decortication, and end processing supply chains haven’t been built yet. But yeah the feed issue is a regulatory pain and will take 1-2 years to “legalize”

3 Likes

Hemp OSB I’m sayin’

3 Likes

I get that. But I’m not talking about that. This is something that doesn’t require large scale infrastructure investments of one industry to do it parallel to another. Who comes first the large scale supply or large scale process. But I’m not talking about that.

Those are logistical issues. This is a federal law prohibiting that from becoming a logistical issue.

1 Like

I met with a guy out in Kentucky a few times during NOCO that was developing some sort of hemp based feed for his cattle, he said dealing with the FDA was an insane headache and that was the majority of the issues he was dealing with. I think it took him over a year to get considered for the paperwork.

5 Likes

Well it’s a good thing we all see the law and don’t break it in this forum. No hemp for piggies. Lol

1 Like

Bagged feed may be regulated, but which plants the animals eat in the field is not so much.

I’ve worked with multiple hemp farmers that put pigs in the field post harvest to clean up. One even grew out a seeded crop specifically for pigs to eat.

The easiest way to avoid any USDA/FDA issues is to sell the animals as shares. You can feed your own animals just about anything you’d like.

FYI, hemp, like corn, isn’t great feed for cattle…

13 Likes

In the US, meat prices are already subsidized. Beef farmers would lose money selling beef at market prices, just like corn and soy farmers if not for subsidies.

taxpayer dollars make meat on the shelf seem cheaper than it actually is. it makes it more affordable to the average person. I personally don’t care for subsidies but if they were done away with immediately food would become prohibitively expensive for a huge % of the population to buy. A fast food burger (just the burger) would cost like $20 or something crazy like that.

1 Like

Since you seem to know more than me about livestock you may be the man to accurately answer this.

My former landlord made his nut (and several others) large scale cattle farming and sending the entire batch on down to Japan. How does that work where we can’t exactly import any sort of cattle from out there but it’s 100 percent A-OK to send it over there at 3k a head?

Yours in sausage,

Tony Soprano

3 Likes

According to whom? That’s how wagyu genetics got to the states, right?

2 Likes

We can straight up buy Jap cattle? I’ve never been involved with livestock trade so I’ve had no functional instructions other than other farmers telling me its illegal to import live cattle from japan to the states. I’ve known restaurant owners though that have told me they’ve tried to import japanese waygu but never got clarification if they were speaking about processed slabs or whole, live cattle

And i assumed neptune seed bank brought that heady af strain of cattle to market.

2 Likes

100% Japanese wagyu genetics are not exported. You can only buy the slaughtered meat not a live cow.

2 Likes

Apparently that’s a Japanese law, which had some downtime in the 80s/90s which allowed the existing genetics to be brought over

4 Likes

Correct, Japan currently does not allow export of live cattle. But they did for 20+ years, thus there are 100% wagyu genetics here

5 Likes