Synthetic Chemists

What machine was that? I forget the brand name but I know the GCFID that has a red casing on it are very affordable and popular for R&D

SRI 310. Not the most precise analytical device Iā€™ve used but for the price and robustness itā€™s a good deal. Plus the barbarians I work with will be able to use it without giving me a heart attack because itā€™s a solid piece of equipment

2 Likes

What would you estimate your average deviation is? If its within 3% then Iā€™d say itā€™s still decent R&D machine

Just get a used agilent. Pretty close to the same price but much more capable with a tremendous number of columns and detectors that are modular.

3 Likes

I only have access to it because of @krative and @CuriousChemist22. They were nice enough to introduce me

5 Likes

Same here. I have been working on developing some methods/ patterns for day-trading. Itā€™s worked pretty well as of now. I might go back to school (on GI Bill) for finance just so I have a foundation to back the tinkering Iā€™ve been working on.

Edit: added info

4 Likes

Nice! I was thinking I could get a new system for now but I might stretch out the cash and bring something back to life.

The only thing Iā€™d do remotely close to this is making thcv using 5-propylbenzene-1,3-diol and verbenol.

2 Likes

So happy to hear that. My brother is an Afghan vet heā€™s using his GI bill for a masters in data science (I think). I think it is very wise to have an alternative skill set.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that! My focus is on web development (HTTP servers, app deployment, front end clients, REST APIs, SQL and NoSQL databases) but I am always interested in bridging science and software. Will definitely check out!

Thanks for sharing that!! :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

When I get to my lab I can take some pics of books that helped me out a lot.

2 Likes

Thats all good stuff too, and if thats what you like doing then theres really nothing to stop you from getting a tech job

I can validate that used agilent systems are a solid purchase. Iā€™ve worked extensively on the Agilent 1100 series HPLC with good results. Although, with some used systems, the software can be a bit difficult to deal with as the older systems often have obsolete software. Iā€™ve been running an old copy of chemstation, and it works., however theres no updates and little support for it.

2 Likes

For sure. I do love science and chemistry, and working with extracts. I guess Iā€™ve been growing frustrated with some of my experiences with the legal companies in this space. Too many investor types with dollar signs in their eyes thinking making and selling THC products are a slam dunk. Or executive type individuals with 2-3 decades of corporate experience decide it would be fun to get into cannabis and donā€™t have the humility to say - hey I donā€™t know this industry can you help? I guess I havenā€™t had the chance to work with like minded people yet - I have typically been the token ā€œmarijuana scienceā€ guy, so there is a degree of isolation I suppose. I think the coding gives me a sense of being in control of my own professional development without relying on an employer - its like right now I am seen as a valve turner by my current company and I can definitely offer much more than that. Its like I actually get to use my brain and solve problems independently when I am working on a web application. But anyway, this forum is awesome and talking to you all is pretty amazing!

4 Likes

I loved having the Agilent 1100. Much easier to wrench on than the Waters 2695 machines I used in pharma. Chemstation is okay, certainly a better experience than Waters Empower in my opinion.

3 Likes

Yeah, you do start to run into operating system/software compatibility issues when you go far enough back. That is definitely the weakness of most systems as they age, and in general software is usually the least quality part of an instrument. But if you just Google used agilent hplc or gc you can find plenty that are still supported without going over 10k unless you choose to spend more.

3 Likes

Go work for a startup and not for a guy who has 2-3 decades of corporate experience. Corporate robots usually have zero emotional intelligence and expect results without understanding. I donā€™t mean to generalize but sometimes itā€™s the truth.

2 Likes

Another synthesis project that popped into my head would be receptor antagonists. Weā€™ve all heard the hype and claims that CBD can reduce THC/metabolite activity in cases of ā€œoverdoseā€, but this is often a result of SSRI action relieving anxiety rather than true receptor antagonism.

Two antagonists that were identified in the 90s, but not approved in the USA, were SR141716A and SR144528. These compounds had a side effect of depression risk, and in turn were not FDA approved and in collateral several other antagonist compounds had their research scrapped.

True receptor antagonists are somewhat of a holy grail right now

5 Likes

@Ruwan if you have an organic and vape-able cutting agent, please enlighten us!

1 Like