Summit Hochstrom Filter vs bel art tabletop buchner (use with cryo EtOH )

I drove it with vacuum. I think driving it positively would probably be better though. Maybe a diaphragm pump. As far as telling when it’s full that’s kind of hard. These things hold so much sludge I never actually reached a limit. I just changed them daily. You should be able to tell they’re full when flow becomes highly obstructed, or you see a large pressure drop developing.

2 Likes

this is a good cryo pump that explosion proof, its expensive, but there are somethings you may not want to cheap out on.

is a cheaper alternative, im unsure of its longevity in cryo temps tho

for vacuum all you need a receiving tank, ie, vacuum rated carboy, stacked and capped 12" TC spools etc and pull vacuum on that.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help! :metal:t3:

1 Like

https://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Shanghai-Future/6008852386948/pdtl/Size-2-Stainless-steel-Jacketed-Bag-Filter/1152111788.htm

here is a jacketed filter bag set up, its made in china, so beware, but they do make jacketed ones. i may go for one of these.

2 Likes

That looks good. You can get domestic ones with jackets too without much price increase (certainly still a lot cheaper than summit’s filter). Rosedale is the company that makes the one I linked and they can customize however you want.

4 Likes

Belart makes filter paper ring holders for all of their benchtop buchners, they just don’t have them on the website. This should fix the leaking edge problem some have with it, I’ve never had this problem. You have to order the ring holder from an authorized dealer, it was 300 for my 24 inch ring holder

That’s soo much for a HDPE ring… maybe @David can make a PTFE ring for u for much cheaper?

I already bought it, I’m sure with shipping it wouldnt have been much cheaper

If you’re talking about the size 2 filter that’s 7 inches in diameter by 32 inches long, it has a surface area of 780.69 square inches, the 24 inch belart has a surface area of 452.39 square inches. Considering the bag has less than double the surface area and is probably 10x the cost of one of my filter papers I’d probably stick with my belart unless I had to filter hexane.

1 Like

That is incorrect. Bags are depth filters, so the surface area cannot be compared in that manner. Their surfaces are highly convoluted on the micro level and lead particles into additional layers. This is reflected in their extremely high dirt holding capacities.

2 Likes

Silica does the same thing, and a silica bed is a better 3D filter then a bag. I can easily make an inch deep bed in my buchner which will give much more surface area than the bag does (3D wise, a bag is maybe a 1/4 inch thick)

So, how do I winterize with my summit things and make them go faster. Add a silica bed?

Besides getting rid of them

3 Likes

Yes, silica increases filtration capacity. You can use DE, celite or silica

When I last tried celite (that silika pulver stuff) it didn’t help me much at all

By that point, your statement about it being 10x the cost no longer holds true.

Lol you’re lucky you put the besides getting rid of them part, I was going to say sell them and buy a better filter xD I have an N.B oler I dont use with 4 filter because it sucks to clean, spent over 8 k on it and used it once and put it away

You’re incorrect again, 55 pounds of celite is 100 bucks shipped to me. Your filter bags I bet cost close to that.

40 bucks each for the 7 x 32 inch, not bad. I still think celite and filter paper is cheaper

You can argue about this till the cows come home but 2d plate filters are completely unknown in industry and there’s a reason. Also celite moves slow as molasses compared to a bag. Tell me what kind of gpm you get filtering that waxy hexane solution through 1" of celite. There is a reason there are threads left and right of people complaining their hochstrom is bottlenecking them. Never heard that complaint from someone using a bag. A buchner funnel is a lab device meant for recovering small amounts of valuable solids. It was never intended for this use.

3 Likes

Did you wet load it? Get celite 535 from proof33.com for cheap, it works great