Sulfur remediation with copper and ethonal questions

i now see thread states Ethanol… silly me

Not my point.

Your jar may have turned green. Which was absolutely from the copper.

It was NOT a reaction between BUTANE and copper.

Certainly leaning towards that conclusion.

possibly Long Term Cognitive Impairment with Cannabis Use

As stated above green is likely a reaction with the primary component in the jar…a carboxylic acid.

3 Likes

Is the green not the reaction between the sulfur and the copper? Sulfur adsorbing to the copper
And if it turns green do it again? Until it doesn’t?
I think this is what I heard from someone a few years back

1 Like

Black is the reaction between sulphur and copper.

@bromeliad23’s green may well be a Cu carbonate.

6 Likes

Not necessarily. If you leave copper in water it will also turn green as the copper ions dissolve slowly. Can look blue too

6 Likes

Eh, I’ve seen it done with copper pipes in a 5 gallon bucket with a bucket heater on it. After 24 hrs take out the copper pipes and add clean ones for another 24 hrs.

Scrubbies and small copper particles are great, but a fucking nightmare to clean and reuse

2 Likes

If you can grind your copper down to increase surface area, scrubbies are, a fine powder is better. Also limiting air exposure and using fresh ground copper in an air free environment is important. An oxide layer can quickly deposit on the surface and drastically slow down the reaction.

Another issue may be the solvent, sulfur has a pretty low ethanol solubility, so maybe acetone would be a better solvent, an acetone reflux would actually work well. I would also recommend strong stirring under an inert atmosphere if possible.

2 Likes

so I did this with diffrent results using ethinol

copper peices turned black many times

one I left copper in overnight turned patina green I chucked it (maybe was cleanable)

one is nice and clean but, can taste metals in my mouth for days
copper is a Nero toxin.

Why I’m here distalation to leave copper behind or am I out of luck here.

Nano-valent copper basically had to be synthesized in a chemical process, milling down copper from bulk would be insane

3 Likes

From my experience, heating in ethanol with copper still leaves sulfur behind. Better to put in heptane and react with sodium hydroxide water as it forms water soluble by-products upon reacting.

H2S + NaOH → NaHS + H2O
3S + 6NaOH → 2NaS + Na2SO3 + 3H2O

Peroxide for H2S quench but not Sulfur removal:
H2S + H2O2 → S + H2O

7 Likes

Do under vacuum as well to avoid cannabinoid oxidation, but a very good cleanup method! The only thing that might be hard is getting the hydroxide to dissolve in heptane, though a suspension may be a good method for adsorbing NaSH to the surface. Maybe dissolve NaOH in anhydrous ethanol

1 Like

Vigorous mixing for a period of time. Agitation is key with that one.

You could also start with ethanol-koh and mix with the product first then mix with heptane and hit with hot water. NaOH is poorly soluble in ethanol but KOH will jump right in but with potassium you need more to quench than sodium by weight.

Also its good to use a water aspirator with water pump and circulate mild lye water through the aspirator. This will both pull a mild vacuum up to about 25" and help quench any H2S vapors that make it over.

2 Likes

well that’s alot…

so add NaOH and KOH

how will I seperate the KOH from the meterial after ? seems I would have to flush with water first. I was looking but, got more confused :confused:

NaOH had a boil of like 99c I think. I have to decarb yet to do distillation so would it be worth decarbing and removeing NaOH at the same time ?

I apologize ia a little lost on process but, my chemistry is slowly comming back lol

Soaking copper in water and citric acid will Take the green right off of copper . Old moonshine trick taken to next level cause got tired of smelling like vinegar after cleaning the still and the ph of citric acid is way stronger so less elbow grease .

1 Like

KOH and NaOH are water soluble bases. Make a solution of about 10-20% and mix with heptane containing product.

Upon reaction with sulfur or hydrogen sulfide, water soluble salts are formed along with more water.

1 Like

ok…

use my seporator funnel with this to pull off the bad stuff my oil would float correct?

Jean the heptane with cannabinoids (organic phase) will be above the aqueous phase(water on the bottom)

1 Like

There’s roughly 1,000 lbs of trim that was sprayed with sulfur - i dont know the extent of how bad the sulfur contamination is but was hoping someone could explain to me the process/equipment needed to get clean distillate. Know people willing to toll process and others willing to handle the remediation side of things (all of which have mentioned copper one way or another) but wanted to understand the science and steps behind it all. A lot of the info on here is over my head and trying to better understand the extraction process altogether. Yes im a newbie feel free to explain it to me like a 2nd grader.

Send it 2 tha edible department.

Even if you scrub it enough to not smell or taste it cold and raw, the vape market will always taste it through flavoring.

2 Likes

I tried the tek given and it did work a process to do and for that much $$$

I did try a filter media as well since I figured I lost money on it I would play with it.

They dry media filtering did a better job than the chem tek
Still only good for eating I would not smoke it still tastes off