Sulfur remediation with copper and ethonal questions

Has anyone used the method of using a copper soak on a large scale? It would be difficult to replicate these methods when it comes to remediating a large amount of sulfur contaminated winterized crude oil, or ethanol slurry. Any insight would be super appreciated! For scale it would be roughly 2900gal of slurry, or ~500L of Winterized crude oil. Thanks in advance!

slurry suggests solids. if winterized there shouldn’t be any.

how did you get to 500liters before figuring out you had sulfur?

while I’m sure you could scale

using say these (literally “inline” if implemented correctly).

you would likely be better off exploring

4 Likes

My apologies, I’ll provide more context. We recently did a microextraction on some biomass that indicated a large amount of SO2 being produced when processed. Normally we would reject the material, but this is a large contract of several thousand pounds of potential biomass. When I refer to “slurry” (an in-house term we use) I mean a combination of cannabinoids cryo-extracted with EtOH filtered down to .5µm. Based on data from our normal process, this biomass contract would equate to roughly 2900gal of “slurry”, and if processed further, around 500L of winterized crude oil.

The issue I’ve found with “FicklePickle’s” solution is that would require several weeks, if not months, of remediation using our bucket heaters, and even jacketed barrel heaters. However, we have tried a version of this on a small scale (although we are waiting on distillate analytics). We added copper into our boiling flask during the degassing phase, which for a ~14L batch takes around 5hrs. It still had a slight smell, as well as a COA indicating presence of sulfur during the degas phase. We’re still exploring all options as this seems to have some merit to it!

1 Like

?!?

at 10:1, 500liters of crude => 5500 liters of solution (“tincture”), which is less than 1500gal.

what do you have for jacketed vessels?

maybe obtain one of these?

I know this is cannabis, where folks make meanings up for established terms all the damn time, but if you’re filtered down to 0.5um, and have 500liters of crude in 2900gallons of ethanol, is it NOT a slurry above -80C.

just sayin…

so NOT actually crude yet? calling unfiltered, unwinterized crude than has been bought up at 7:1 or 10:1 and chilled below -40 “slurry” makes some sense. as perhaps does the disconnect between 2900gal and 500L. dunno. if you’re looking for help solving problems,. using the consensus jargon, and giving all the relevant details is pretty important.

helpful. thanks. welcome to the future.

solid intake procedure!

can you make 6" copper pipes work?

The downside to using a hydroxide wash is acidic molecules become water soluble and wash out of the product.

Decarb first to maximize product yield during basic scrub.

Powdered iron is the most friendly sulfur quenching. Solid and nontoxic. Can find in those hand warming packs that create heat upon reacting with oxygen. Iron is used commonly in industrial cartridge filters for h2s also.

Edit: it might be possible to use the powdered iron inline during crc as well and keep it single solvent.

7 Likes

We use a BZB Silver Serpent, but this made me wonder if coppering tubing inside the unit would have any affect on sulfur remediation haha.

Is copper in silver serpent?!?

@BizzybeeTeam?

Nah, too reactive for my taste.

1 Like

I like the idea of an inline powdered iron column, as we’d definitely want to stick to a single solvent extraction. I appreciate all the insight, just chatting really helps!

2 Likes

How much would you charge to help with this problem?

If you’re trying to get sulfur out of CBN then I would do a heptane scrub or pass through active iron a couple times until it’s sulfur free.

It likes to carry over during distillation and two to three passes can usually get it to not smell but technically it’s probably still there.

Crystallization should also help remove it due to the high solubility of sulfur in heptane and other nonpolar solvents.

Otherwise if it’s from an extract then I would consider trying the active iron CRC concept.

It’s not something I have performed because I don’t have any sulfur laden bio, but thinking through the problem that was the best solution I could come up with based on other industries and how they remediate sulfur from their products.

4 Likes

Thank you man, for the detailed help!

1 Like