Sulfur in extracts

Nothing worse than being excited for a dab and exhaling that fart taste

5 Likes

Ever tried copper?

Yea I think that’s what @Concentrated_humbold meant when he said scrubbies.

I can verify it works inline in a butane cls

5 Likes

Sulfur is known to oxidize THC to CBN at high pressure and temperature.

8 Likes

Ya i used copper scrubbies cleaned in citrix acid and then etho and lastly water before drying in oven. When they would turn black after a day or so i would clean with citeic acid and wash with etho

2 Likes

Hey man! It’s a fewwww months removed from this post but you seemed to know what you’re talking about.

I think I have some wax that kind of tastes like burnt popcorn. I’ve been using the search bar and looking around this sight because I think it’s sulfur.

I want to do the copper test to determine it, and I want to do the process of removing the sulfur if it is. But to be honest, looking through these posts, a lot of it has gone right over my head and I’m quite confused. Anyway you could provide a ELI5 answer haha? :rofl::rofl: I’m gunna give it a try but I don’t want to waste. Thanks! Sorry if i’m breaking any site rules. joined just to browse briefly.

@Roguelab has mentioned using copper rashig or packing media in a SPD head before. Too lazy to search for it right now

2 Likes

I have a feeling if it was treated with sulphur that’s not the only thing left in the wax. I could be wrong But with sulphur you’re likely either fighting different types of molds or pests. If it tastes a bit like matches, it’s definitely sulphur mate.

Just take a copper scrubbie ( like for dishes) clean it with etho or iso and water and just add it to your oil thats already dissolved in alcohol and just wait. It will start to turn black then just take it out repeat the cleaning of the scrubbie and put back in until there is no black anymore or you think its good

4 Likes

THIS WORKS for small batches, use at your own risk. Ok, so you’ve got some wax/bho/shatter that tastes like burnt tires dipped in rotten eggs. You will need a few things. 1) small thick glass jar. 2) 12 awg stranded copper wire 3) oven.

I removed the insulation from the wire and used a lighter to confirm it wasn’t coated. Using a nail clipper I cut about a foot of the wire into 1/4 pieces and placed them in the bottom of the jar. I then took about 8 inches of wire and meshed it into a cap that would fit into the glass jar and keep the 1/4 inch strands in place. Really y compress it good. Then I preheated my oven to 250f. ( i used mechanics wire to make a little handle for the jar.) This will decarb your wax. You will lose some product. Continue at your own risk, I dont claim this is safe to consume. I then took about 2g of seriously sulfurous shit and placed it on the copper wire cap in the jar. 30 minutes in the oven did the trick. Do not let it cool, the thick glass will retain the heat and help decant off the wax. The copper wire was slimy black. I could not believe it worked so well without diluting in a solution. Hope this helps.

You can use copper scrubbies once there cleaned and get more surface area and just remove clean and repeat until the copper isnt black anymore.

3 Likes

In the other thread someone suggested azulene being a result of using sulfur… described the rotten egg smell.

1 Like

Hey there! Would you care to elaborate on how I’d incorporate inline? Such as volume of copper to volume of material being extracted etc, I ran into this issue a bunch last year and wish I would have learned this earlier. Thanks in advance for any input :metal:t2:

2 Likes

My apologies, I found the other post and will dig deeper .

I don’t have any quantifying data for removal of sulfur. I noted that used copper for several runs left a rotten egg smell on the spent copper

I’m currently dealing with a large amount of sulfur treated material. We’ve tried everything we can think of with copper;
Copper scrubbies and then powder in-line were helping but didn’t get it all out.
Copper powder directly in the solution for 48 hours seemed to help a lot more. still waiting on tests to come back
(BHO)

What seems to work is distillation. The fart smell comes out with the volatiles, most likely from the residual solvent. Fart smell loves to stick in your ethanol. The boiling point of sulfur is like 800f, so I’m guessing it stays in the boiling flask… regardless, the disty comes out clean.

We still have probly couple thousand pounds to go through so if anyone knows a really easy trick that really works for BHO, I’d love to hear. Maybe more powder inline? Anyone have a ratio that’s worked for them?

Ty

2 Likes

Interested in this as well.

Spitballing here…

setup a recirculating style CRC and fill it with copper scrubbies or even the powdered copper rather than the traditional magic dirts. see: Opaline Silica Thread - #313 by Dred_pirate for 1k word substitute.

@Photon_noir used a foodboxer.
@Soxhlet is using a gear pump.
@Roguelab points out that most recovery pumps can handle liquid too.

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/COLDBREAK-MESH100-Copper-Mesh-Pure/dp/B07THFDKF1

Pack a column with these maybe? Threaded and gasketed stainless filter housing, run two with a three way valve to allow you to line up to either as well as a bypass. Run length of column and flow rate testing to determine optimal size and flow rate as well as time to fouling. you could also stack the coils of mesh on a central rod with stop plates above and below (rated for your solvent of choice) creating a diy filter cartridge. That would speed up replacement time when you need to swap media.

7 Likes

@cyclopath Brilliant! This is a good plan.

@Estokha Now we’re cookin! I’ve seen the DIY “sintered disc” using this method.

The more copper the merrier!

I’m gonna try a hexane soak in powdered copper today. If it works I will built something proper.

Thanks, team!

3 Likes