Indofabs C.R.C & BHO Color Remediation Tek

I have a dedicated vac oven for powders now that has been thoroughly cleaned a few times. I get a lemony/ peppery smell from the powders. I bake celite 545, t5, an silica 60 at 205f. It’s pretty strong everytime I open the oven. Even if there’s no powders in it an no heat applied, still carries the smell

3 Likes

for 10 lbs of resin try a 6x36 or 48 column, the problem you are having is the band of color is eluteing before all of the solution is passed through the column.Ideally you ant the color band to just make its way to the bottom before running out of mobile phase.

7 Likes

Do you run nitro or just the pumps?

I use to use the pump full time, now i use nitro to push and the pump to recover

7 Likes

What do you do with nitro before recovery

I’ve got ppl running active wanting to use nitro but idk how to remove the nitro safely without dropping the temp on collection. Or an expensive nitro membrane

Using some form of copper in a secondary might be the solution for your sulfur woes…

I am going to mess around with this, i have a few oz. Of sulfur contaminated bho to test on

1 Like

I just purge it before i start recovery

2 Likes

Now take this with a grain of salt as it is just my thoughts and please correct me if I am wrong. I had a lot of trouble with runs coming out grey/green when I first started playing around media filtration and I’ve spent a good amount of time trying to figure out why it was happening. I havent seen anyone explain why this is what I think is goin on:

I’ve seen someone (maybe @Shadownaught ?) mention that t5 is designed to out filter heavy metals. When I unpack the t5 from my filter it usually has a bunch of gray compounds in it which seems like they could be heavy metals. From my experience t5 will filter compounds out of the solution and separate them based on their size (chromatography) . To a degree it will let terps thru first followed by cannabinoids then lipids afterwards (along with other compounds in-between). I don’t know for sure, but I think that if you are not using enough t5 or get some channeling that the gray compound(s) could be getting separated but not filtered and make it into the filtrate.

3 Likes

You just burp it. The butane wont boil until the n2 is gone. I run active with n2 for dewax crc. Itll drop in pressure and then shoot back up fast while your burping it. The extra pressure keeps it condensed. Ill also burp my tank after the run which is cold enough because the coil

5 Likes

Could be. Tbh a while back we started using equal parts t5 and silica.
For example 400 grams sil with 400 grams t5.
Results have been going well since then

My buddy is using a copper rod in middle of secondary column. Stalling for 30 mins ( I believe dry ice w/out etoh)
Claims it removes sulfery smell. No test results to show. Just what I’ve heard

3 Likes

1 solvent, 1 CRC, 1 fraction, 1 crystalization, 1 pour off, no rinse, no dewax.

25 Likes

What do you mean by 1 crc?

2 Likes

It just went through a ‘standard’ in-line crc process with n-butane. Collected all as a single fraction, and a nice slow crystallization.

5 Likes

I’m having trouble with filters blowing out. I’m running n2 assist and my dewax sits directly ontop of my crc. I just don’t see how a paper filter wont blow out if the pressure in collection is low from recovery and the dewax is pressurized by n2. I’ve been running the tane through the crc while recovering in collection. I cut off my CRC before it gets dry to prevent blow out and just pour the rest from the bottom after letting the pressure off. I know this is the wrong way to do it. Are you guys filling your collection and closing off the crc before starting recovery?

Can I prevent blow out by running a sintered filter at the bottom of my crc? I see people running paper filters after their sintered filter which makes me think that’s not the answer.

My plan was to run paper or mesh filters working down from 25 micron to either a 2 or 5 micron sintered filter.

I have been getting good results with using celite/silica 60/T5/celite at around 1/3 cup equal parts. All media held in 3"x24" spool except the other 1/3 cup of celite on bottom in its own filter plate with a SS 20 micron screen holding the media. Then screens from top to bottom, SS 20 micron / 5 micron sintered disc /SS 1.5 micron. Using about 15lbs of N-Butane to 1400g of trim through a non jacket column just -40 solvent coming through. Every thing going fine using media for a couple weeks now then this is happening…

it took about 2 hours just to get to that point which is the top of the the collection base

this is the feed line to the collection base from crc column

I haven’t baked any powders but all my powders are being held in a bin in a room with controlled humidity 40% at all times. Im assuming they need to be baked which Im doing now but just wanted to know if this was a sign of that problem?

Hope this was enough info any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

will post pics of some of the good results in a few

Id up solvent ratios for sure. I do at least 8/1 solvent to material. Are collection and material column both warm?

1 Like

It’s basically a 5/1 solvent to lb of material what Im doing I’ve done this ratio before with no issues and up to 8/1. I was able to send 9.5 lbs of solvent before it came to a complete halt. My column was cold from the solvent being sent in cold and a coil in between. The collection base was under vac still because nothing ever made it to the base, it was stuck for hours as shown above.

How often do you clean filters?

The filters were soaked in iso prior to run. I clean every time.