Suggestions for cannabis business success

As of today, I have been in the legal cannabis industry for exactly four years. My company is a licensed Processor in Oregon and we make/sell an array of vape carts. We are family-owned and -operated, and we are definitely what one might call lean. We released our brand ~1.5 years ago, and our products are now sold in more than 130 dispensaries across the state. Here is a summary of what I have learned during the past four years in the cannabis industry.

Seven suggestions for cannabis business success:

1. Do your homework.
  2. Make a high-quality product that stands out from the crowd.
  3. You need a very attractive and well-polished brand. Read this one twice.
  4. Work your friggin’ ass off.
  5. Stellar customer service will serve you well.
  6. Don’t be afraid to pivot.
  7. Focus on sales and distribution.

If I were forced to pick the single most important suggestion from the list above, I would pick Focus on sales and distribution. Most cannabis business failures I have observed during the past four years stem from a lack of sufficient focus on sales and distribution.

As a minimum, your focus on sales and distribution should include your continuous attempt to successfully answer the two key questions:

What specific things can I do to get my products into more dispensaries?
What specific things can I do to increase our sales in the dispensaries that already carry our products?

This is exactly the information I wish I had four years ago today.

What else should go on this list of suggestions for people getting into this industry across the US?

26 Likes

Dont forget networking and gaining new angles and markets. Basically sales and distribution lol.
I also find watching market trends and adapting to the ever changing market and reinvesting in biz.
Any successful biz has to grow and adapt.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your success in a mature market like Oregon!

We’re in Southern CA, and would add-

If you’re working with a landlord, you will add substantial value to the building if a license is attached to the property. Use this as leverage for help with rent or improvements.

It will not be easy. You’re going to have to put in major time, thought, and continued effort into your business to succeed.

Ensure you know all the taxes you need to pay and when to pay them. Set calendar reminders on important tax, license or certification renewals.

Most importantly- be a good person. Be honest, lead by example, appreciate and commend your team. This helps you to build a good team, attract good karma, and be the leader you’re team will need to thrive in the very challenging cannabis space.

14 Likes

Always incentivize your team to make the company profitable. Hourly and salary offer no vested interest in committing to generating higher revenue for a company. Without an equity stake or sales commision there is no extra reward for harder work.

8 Likes

You hit it on the nail, the hardest part of ANY industry, product or service is the actual sales/execution of said product or service.

There’s a lot of people with great products who never succeed because they’re missing the sales and distribution. On the opposite side, there’s a lot of really shittttt products that are sold everywhere because they have the network and a solid sales crew.

3 Likes

Given the concensus on this factor being paramount to success, what are tactics businesses owners have deployed with marked reciprocity?

Let’s get specific;

A. Sales

-When hiring sales teams…commision only or base salary with commision?

-Hiring full time staff or on boarding with brokers/sales teams representing multiple brands?

-Going direct to distributor and ditching the traditional door to door sales model of dropping samples and following up?

-A hybrid of everything that works after trial and error?

B. Marketing

-Hiring marketing agencies?

-In-house content creator on full time staff?

-Attending trade shows and mingling with distributors and retialers?

-Dispensary demos and cannabis cup exhibits?

What’s seemed to work best for everyone?

2 Likes

“There’s a lot of people with great products…”

Not once—in my entire life—has anyone EVER invited me down to their basement to look at all the shitty weed they are growing down there.

6 Likes

It wasn’t a basement, but it’s happened. Black (not green) thumb kinda folks

2 Likes

This applies to the regions not super plugged in with genetics

If the rest of your town is deps and trash ins with so so genetics DO NOT accurately tell any of your competition with out of town connects accurate strain names. Clones may be a commodity at this point with people selling the real deal as little as 20 bucks. But if you have filtered your genetics down to exotic, fast finishing, yielding, that is a competitive advantage. If they see you doing well killing it at 2k a lb, they will simply have their people pick up your genetics, or find someone else that’s in Oklahoma ready to crash your market with the same strains @1000 a shitty indoor bow.

6 Likes

Genetics are just as important as the quality of your finished flower.

You could grow a ton of good flower, but if it’s the same shit everyone’s growing youre basically pissing in the wind.

12 Likes

-When hiring sales teams…commision only or base salary with commision?

We landed on base pay+commission until their commissions are way bigger than their base pay. Then it is commission only. My approach is to give our sales team as much pay as the company can possibly afford. Drop some Amazon Gift Cards too. Happy sales people sell more.

-Hiring full time staff or on boarding with brokers/sales teams representing multiple brands?

We are somewhere in the middle of these two options, mostly due to resource limitations. The excellent guidance we received on how to approach a Sales Team at our small company was to “think outside the box” and to “get creative” so we paired up with another non-competing family-owned cannabis company in Oregon and we share a small sales team. This cuts the HR/Sales Team costs in half for both small companies and increases commissions for the sales team. It also creates opportunities for additional discount incentives when a dispensary purchases both company’s products, instead of just one company’s products. My suggestion is two or at most three companies sharing a small sales team, or this will become very complicated very quickly. One word of caution here: it is important that there is not a huge difference in possible commissions from each of the two companies because it will bias the sales team efforts (naturally), and then this approach will not work.

-Going direct to distributor and ditching the traditional door to door sales model of dropping samples and following up?

We interviewed six different distributors in Oregon and we came within a few days of signing on the dotted line with one of them. We changed our mind at the last minute when someone explained to us that paying a distributor to establish new dispensary relationships for our company does not work. When you hire a distributor, your small family-owned cannabis company will end up with fewer dispensary relationships than you had before that distributor, because the distributors usually take over all your relationships, and then you are no longer personally maintaining those relationships. If you want to build relationships, go shake hands. Drop sample packs. Talk to the budtenders. You don’t get to outsource relationships; that is oxymoronic.

IF you decide to go with a distributor for your cannabis products, you should insist that the sales targets in your contract with the distributor be (purposefully) at the very high end of what they can likely achieve. Best case scenario is that they meet your very high sales targets. In addition this approach gives you the option to quickly terminate the contract (assuming they are not meeting your contractual sales targets), in the event you come to realize that this distributor is not a good fit for your company.

-Hiring marketing agencies?
Marketing agencies require large budgets. If my company could afford a marketing agency, I would definitely give that a try.

That said, hiring a very good branding agency to help you define and polish your brand, and design your packaging, etc, is worth every penny of the $15K to $25K it will likely cost. It is far more difficult than I expected to get onto dispensary shelves with a crappy looking brand or an ugly product package. The only way to get an unpolished, poorly-executed, product package onto dispensary shelves in Oregon is to discount your wholesale price so much that you—literally—can’t turn a profit. I made that mistake and it has taken us over a year, a ton of stress, and too many 80-hr work weeks to recover from it. My prediction is that exactly 0% of the cannabis companies that ultimately survive in Oregon will have a crappy looking brand. In other words, poorly executed branding will prevent your small cannabis company from being successful. DM me if you want the name of a stellar cannabis branding company in Portland.

-In-house content creator on full time staff?
For us bootstrappers:
Phone a friend. Final answer.

-Attending trade shows and mingling with distributors and retailers?

Mingle with local budtenders and their Purchasing Managers for your local products. When you have a product that could be sold to other parts of the country, it might be time to invest in a booth at a few trade shows.

-Dispensary demos and cannabis cup exhibits?
I am surprised at how many budtenders tell me that Vendor Days are definitely worth every penny they cost me. They all say that they drum up interest in our products with customers that did not previously know about our products. Vendor Days have increased our sales, and that seems a pretty good reason for us to keep doing them. Vendor Days can be outsourced, if you can find the right team to run them for your company. DM me if you want the name of a great Vendor Day company in Oregon or Seattle.

Brand awareness drives sales up. Cannabis Cups and local cannabis associations are excellent opportunities to get your company logo up in front of other decision makers in your state’s cannabis industry. I now budget a few thousand dollars a year to be a co-sponsor for these types of gatherings.

13 Likes

I agree i used to buy seeds over sea all the time to find the unicorn.
Noone gives there best mayb second if ir lucky.
I had to teach my self trial and error. Everyone acted as i was competion and never was helpful lol.
Now have gained the knowledge .
My motto is information is free labor will cost u lol better than i was treated

1 Like

U just hook up with me and u make money lol
I always make them earn from sales. Labor i pay good . i work them hard but pay them well.
I seem todo free samples to potential buyers to try new products. Any only free sample to potential they arnt commited but have to have ability todo sales if they find the product meets their needs
I also make sure i do quality. And be honest about product . my peeps always know i tell them what product is and make sure i maintain what i say. Return customers is how i make money.
A person can be shady and make a buck but people wont be fooled twice and wont return

3 Likes

There’s some serious value in your reply. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing the valuable experiences for everyone, you are so gorgeous.

4 Likes

Thank you. That is a nice compliment.

3 Likes

Congrats on getting a foothold. Hope you have much more success forthcoming!

I’ll have to try some of your flower when in OR next. The only OR brand I’m super familiar with is Decibel Farms. We grew up together.

But I’m working in NorCal

His carts are supe nice, too! I rather enjoyed the two I’ve tried!

3 Likes

I did not mean to imply that my company produces any flower.

2 Likes

I have written an article [Can You Run a Successful Cannabis Vaporizer Business Without Prior Experience?] that I think is equally useful for other cannabis busniess.

1. Research! Research! Research!
  2. Gain Exposure from the Conferences and Mentor
  3. Find the Right Business Partner
  4. Find the right Manufacturer
  5. Focus on the Customer Satisfaction

The most important matter in starting a business is putting in all your time and energy. However, it is also important to consider external factors such as mentors, connections, knowledge, and customer satisfaction to make a sustainable Cannabis business.

3 Likes