Sugars coming out wet

Have been having issues lately with sugars coming out really wet after crashing and purging. We run a 70/30 butane propane blend and are extracting cold (-30 and below). Oven temps are set at 117f for a 1-2 day crash cycle. Running mainly dried trim or nugs through CRC. Recently almost all of our sugar crashes have come out with a wet consistency that the customers we have do not want. Looking through this forum I have seen advice on having a wet consistency but not the opposite. We are looking for dry crumbly sugars.

4 Likes

leave in a warm oven, or (gasp) pull a vac.

but honestly, wtf wants less terpenes in their dab?

13 Likes

Its left covered with a tight seal for a day or 2 to use the pressure of the gas to cause the crystallization, then uncovered and purged for a day after that. (gasp…) But also it makes no sense to me that people want sugar less terpy, but we cant sell what people don’t want.

centrifuge it and separate the terps to use in something else then

20 Likes

One thing I have done is put the pyrex I poured out into ,in the oven at a steep angle and drain off the terp layer a few times. You have to watch it so the terp layer doesn’t spill over, but by adjusting the angle, and draining it a few times, we have been left with a much drier sugar which is what our client wanted. I usually put the pyrex inside a large stainless steel bento box just in case of spillage.

Propane will usually make your concentrates heavier in terps, maybe consider going with a higher butane %

Picture doesn’t show the actual angle I put it in at but hopefully you get the idea.

3 Likes

You don’t grok YOC?

Spin to separate. Add back only what you needs. Sell the rest as bonus.

CDT are highly sought after…

Edit: should have read all the way through…

3 Likes

That makes sense for sure. We crash everything out in 4000ml beakers with a tight press and seal top. Are you covering the pyrex dish at all or just using the positive pressure created by being inside the vacuum oven?

I’m sure you can figure out how to remove more of that hte without spilling…Even if you don’t have a centrifuge. You’ve used a strainer before right?

Makes a whole lot more sense than the alternative, which is sending those terpenes to waste

Have you stirred it at all?

I find that a good stir, then back in the oven overnight will go a long way towards finishing a crash aimed at sugar.

3 Likes

Im open to trying anything at this point. Based of your reply you would let it crash out a night, stir it up, cover up again and let it crash out another night?

1 Like

If it needs to be in ‘flake’ form you’ll need to fuge some of terps off, redissolve your dryer sugar, and repour. Then you get to keep everything and you only sacrifice the butane you pour with.

For a good dry crumble you really don’t need to have pressure for crystallization, you’ll get similar results just leaving it in the oven overnight at a decent temp. I also recommend parchment paper over Pyrex to make for an easier recovery of your product if you already know it’s going to be dry enough.

For that wet stuff though, if you went cold enough and evapped the remaining solvent slowly you could get some decent little stones in all those terps. Just might take a few days for that result.

Your pressure has nothing to do with crystallisation other than controlling solvent evaporation fyi.
Scoop the wet sugar into a screen and just let it sit for an hour or two if you don’t have a fuge. Extra terps can go with some facets for sauce or go into carts. :+1:

7 Likes

Get rid of the jars, pour out like shatter and let budder up.

3 Likes

98bdb56f-3e2c-45d0-a9ee-c45df3f3340c_text

2 Likes

Use a sweater to dry the sugar out if you don’t want to invest in a fuge

A centrifuge will strip most of the sauce off like this

If you go this route you’ll simply have to redissolve back at the ratios you want to make the perfect “dry sugar”

6 Likes

Damn wish I could get some terpy shit like that client is bananas

3 Likes

Weird Double post poor connection

This is the biggest and best spoon in the thread. If you can’t justify a centrifuge yet, sweating in a basket or strainer like Waxplug recommends will work wonders.
A centrifuge will move mountains, however.

6 Likes

Congratulations, it’s a terpene.

Your customers (or patients) will now enjoy an even better extract.

Edit: If you reaaalllly don’t want the extra terp-sweat, you can separate it by gravity (I.e. with a centrifuge or “sweater” like @Waxplug1 posted) or if you really don’t care about the terpenes, spread it thin and vac it hot at full vac. Sometimes it helps. A nice bit of agitation can move that along as well in my experience.

$0.02

3 Likes

I’ll second this. Bests thing for sugars is pantek.

3 Likes

My favorite gender reveal of all!!!

3 Likes