Stepping away from a run

Hey guys,

I was curious. I have this super slow Short path. Sometimes the runs can be up to 12 hours to run through a couple kilos of crude. (It’s a CES 5 liter in case you were curious) But what I was wondering if there was any harm in turning the system off half way through the run and then turning it back on the next day. I have been hesitant to do this, but there are days where I can’t afford to be sitting in my office for 12 hours waiting for a run to finish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075K89NTR/ref=psdcmw_14241151_t1_B07BP42FWJ

This may help having one of these overlooking your machine when you aren’t their and only have to come in when it looks ready :slight_smile:

That’s not a bad idea, I already have camera’s installed. I didn’t even think of that

1 Like

I’m a scary cat also leaving equipment running and not being their lol. It gives me anxiety if I can’t have eyes on what’s happening at all times. They have cameras with 360 view that you can zoom into your parameters. Place one of these in front of your machine you can check it from you phone.

5 Likes

I would strongly discourage shutting down system mid run. Best case scenario is you only isomerize or degrade most of your desired cannabinoids because of such a long residency time in flask. I’ve spent quite a lot of time on the CES short path machines. What temps are you running at what fractions? Whats your vapor temp at? With the CES 2L or 5L Ive seen In boiling flask I usually hit 85c for solvent removal, 165c for volatiles, 188c for heavy volatiles and 200-210 mains. A long run generally takes me 8 hours though…wondering where your extra time is coming from.

3 Likes

I never ran an SPD but my knowledge just about any process is best for continual usage of the set parameters other than start up/shutdown. I agree with what your saying.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Wolf!

All of my temps are spot on with what you said, but I think I might just be spending too much time on each one. I tend to just bump up 5-10 degrees half hour or so till I get my boiling flask to 220 then just let it chill

My vapor temps are at 190 pulling mains and I feel like I’m rushing things… running a single kg through my 2L doesn’t take more than like four hours tops what are these 12 and 8 hour runs about?

My 5L was a six hour open and shut case with vapor temps down in the 170s

3 Likes

That’s insane. What is the lowest you have been able to get your vacuum on first pass?

1. Get a bigger pump and run full bore all the way
3 Likes

Holy crap dude… My pump gets down to 110 if I’m lucky

1 Like

What’s your cfm? Also I don’t take internal BF temp I Run the mantle from between the flask and mantle- less leaks

1 Like

12 If I remember right

I’m running a 14.4cfm - I’ve been told that’s the minimum size you should run a 2L from

2 Likes

Let me double check real quick

At 90 microns a 1 liter run took me 9 hours. At 18 microns it only took me 4 hours. I’m thinking that definitely has a lot to do with it.

5 Likes

I think it’s about time to upgrade my pump

1 Like

I’m at 49 right now just chugging along- oh and as always hot condenser tek always really bolsters speeds nicely.

4 Likes

A typical run for me on my 2liter cheap spd takes 6-8 hours or so. Usually end up with good product tho… atleast for a newb

With that being said, as for your question. I do know that the material in the boiling flask stays VERY hot for a long time. So I would thing that having it sit So hot after shutdown for no reason would just roast it.

2 Likes

Yeah once the temps drop it’s really good practice to dump some ethanol into the flask (I mean COOLs down a LOT or you’ll rupture the glass due to thermal shock) then run hot ethanol at atmosphere through the whole still to clean the glass out and make sure you don’t have to pull a @Demontrich and throw the whole flask away.

I love you Demon but that shit is insane to me-

5 Likes