Steam Distilled Terpenes

Hey There,
I’ve recently had some amazing cannabis derived terpenes and am looking for someone that produces them. The brand I tried was blue river and it’s amazing. They don’t talk much about their process but from what I hear they take the low temperature approach and it really makes the difference.

I am not super skilled in this world but am interested in trying to find out where I can get more terps like this. Blue river stopped selling online due to merchant issues. I’d even be willing to commission this.

thoughts, advice

5 Likes
1 Like

Are these guys for real? I assumed they used hemp derived essential oils, not drug-type.

If so, I need to talk to their lawyers because no one I talk to knows shit about their legality. Of course their website is .io, the British Indian Ocean, so that makes me wonder.

Nvm, they’re brokers. So god knows what kind of cannabis terps they have, probably steam stilled.

2 Likes

I have steam distilled Terpene’s
Quality is awesome And they are cannabis sativa hemp derived so they are legal to ship and sell

I’ve tried to source Turpines from at least 10 different sources and these are the best ones that I’ve ever found
All of my friends are completely happy with them and we all agree

I also have cannabis Indica derived Turpines that we pull with the sub critical CO2 So what I’m saying is I work with these a lot

1 Like

How much do u need? I used to do steam distillation under vacuum with nitrogen sweeps on the mini buds from fresh indoor trim shake
I have a couple ml’s left from a very nice Durban type plant. Scarlet Fire

5 Likes

I do the best out there, but they’re expensive. They’re comparable to Blue River, and if you’re willing to pay his prices, ours are less. I’m the lead PhD chemist at a top 5 brand, the largest cannabis derived terpene brand, and they have an entire fridge full of my work. Everything testing 95%, some even higher, but I know from experience that 97-98% is max, due to the other richness of yummy non-terpene flavor elements.

Ours are not steam-stilled, they’re not hemp, they’re better than every CO2 batch I’ve smelled. @anon42519203 raves about them. If you’re in California, arrange a tasting (we pen them in oil that we trust for this) and smell them yourselves. I won’t sell under 40 ml, unless the batch gets split into a smaller amount. I want the customer to have a unique product that stands out. Right now, I have Gelato and an OG blend. I’m working on 5 more batches, one being some amazing Blue dream. My forbidden fruit/cookies blend completely sold out (but I saved tasters).

If you’re not in California, hit me up anyway. We’ll be in every legal state soon enough.

9 Likes

I’m looking for 100ml week

Hey dr jack! This sounds amazing. Would love to hear more. Looking for 50-100ml week.

@drjackhughes Dying to know your method

2 Likes

I have water clear steam distilled terps. And I have CO2 extracted terpenes that range from a light yellow to dark, and honestly some of the best most pungent and effervescent batches have been rather dark.

But our CO2 extracted canna terps are def better than the cannabis/saliva hemp

4 Likes

Mind sending me a message with some details on pricing and availability?

1 Like

Everyone is. I’ll release it to the community when I’m in the position to.

Dude… dark CO2 terps…sounds like you got some non-polar pigments. I’m curious to know which ones now…

What did the CoA come out like? Did it break 85% of the 42 testable terps?

Getting 90% or 80% on your Terp COA doesnt really mean much. Theres hundreds of Terps in cannabis, we only test for 42 of them. In my opinion, getting closer to 99% means your stuff is fake or cut with food grade isolated Terps and just made a concoction of the 42 isolated terps we have now.
Highest I’ve gotten is 81% they were clear and had a rainbow whenever u shined light thru it.
It was SunGrown Boss OG. Indoor flowers showed a less diverse test, it was missing 12 instead of the 6. Same cut
The sungrown was missing
Alpha Phellandrene
3 Carene
Menthol
Eucalyptol
Gyrenal Acetate
Guaoil
The sun grown scarlet fire Terps was missing 6 Terps aswell, but three of them were different than the boss og

This is why I don’t use regular cannabis labs. The ones around here usually screw up dilutions on concentrated terps since they almost never test them.

You want a lab that has time to tell you if you have non-volatiles, and will scan the range of known compounds that could contribute to flavor. I have my own GC so I can see this. I’ll have to ask my guy what he thinks his error bar is like, but 15-10% wouldn’t surprise me.

If you steam stilled em, you probably have more stuff that won’t test, and is outside the “flavor” range. 75-85% was par for the course when we used them.

I’m gonna have a crap ton of steam stilled terps coming in the door of the extraction facility I work for soon, so I’ll be able to compare large amounts of data (we didn’t analyze all our samples back in the day)

You should definitely be missing terps. Having all 42 is weird. I think I counted 250ish known compounds in cannabis that would definitely be considered flavor compounds.

Our stuff isn’t cut (gross!) and it tests around 95%, it has no peaks that are outside the flavor/sesquiterpene range.

Really, it’s about taste. We had some steam stilled terps for a long time and they were decent. The product tasted fine, much better than fake. We don’t do them anymore…for various reasons, I’ll talk about this at an upcoming LA conference in July.

I’m wasted an entire lb of flower on a microwave method that was supposed to be the way to get the best steam stilled terps available. I only keep them around as a comparison and cautionary tale.

I’m coming to a point where I need my own olfactory mod equipped HS-GC-MS. You can only go so far with generic methods and standards. But this is by far my favorite part of the industry. Always glad to learn and share.

5 Likes

So the first complication I ran into when I tried to have them tested here locally was they did not have up-to-date equipment and they didn’t do the test as a Terpene
Even though I told them I wanted a Terpene content test, my understanding is that they estimated that there is less than a 20% content to begin with so their equations were off
Since then I was recommended to use pro verde testing out of Massachusetts

As far as the terpenes being dark. I though that the process started to pickup fats and lipids
And to be honest drjackhughes. I am not an expert on the subject. I’ve been Growing for 24 years and extracting for just about 5 years, and we got the IES 40 liter CO2 extractor just about nine months ago, and it is not my biggest priority , I usually spend my time building in gross, and lab space, and developing a 20;acre plot on our main highway here in MI

2 Likes

The sunshin4 and clementine terps both came out pretty dark. Most of the gorilla glue come out real light yellow. But I have a batch of GG 4 right now that are pretty dark, but they’re really good

Betroit

2h

Right now I have CO2 extracted
They range from light yellow , to dark. And honestly some of the best most pungent effervescent batches have been the dark ones.
The current gorilla glue batch that I have actually pulled a higher amount of lipids and fats because of run time, so they are cloudy and thicker but they are awesome.
Also I’d be glad to send pics of the actual batches so that you can see upfront range of consistency
Gorilla. Glue 4
Sunshine #4
Larry OG
And sherbert
40-50 ml depending on quality.

Also steam distilled hemp-cannabis/sativa terpene Water clear 15-20 per ml
Please let me know any questions , and Just let me know any info you may want. These are really good and we do very well with them.

2 Likes

I love it! I have made respect for growers. Chemistry is easy in comparison.

I feel your pain with testing. The lab literally has to be specifically told that is a high terpene sample.

I think you’ll find this intersting

1 Like