Static buildup in media

anyone have experience dumping large crcs ? (50 + lbs of media) I am worried about the static charge buildup due to the structure of the media. Trying to stay safe, if anyone has any tips other than making sure no gas is left in it before dumpout Thanks!

Sweep your system with inert gas.

3 Likes

does that work fully if its still kinda offgassing? WHat i have done is irrelevant but it takes me hours to purge a smaller unit. I still see the gas coming out even then. Its because its cold when im done and then has to warm up to offgas. I take apart the system and its not a cip. I move it outside and sometimes hit it with hot water but Im sure its still flammable when I open it and static would be an issue but im outdoors on a concrete slab when i open it.

You still have a small amount of gas especially while using N2 as it can leave a thin blanket of gas/atmosphere behind/below it. Argon IMO would be better to use as it’s much denser. Once fully recovered you should one loose .5-2% of your initial gas input.

1 Like

I second that argon would be best. If you want to get creative, you could use cheap vegetable oil. It would create a liquid seal as you pushed it through the column. It’s so cheap that it would be a waste of time to reuse it.

3 Likes

you guys are all about throughput. How to stop static? ground the tube seems obv.

3 Likes

Most large scale systems are grounded at a point… that’s given

1 Like

That doesn’t account for ungrounded operators constantly touching the column and spent biomass. The goal should be getting the flammable solvent out of the biomass, not over-thinking simple grounding.

2 Likes

im learning- i put the shit outside with the valves open not safe either huh? But whats the solution?

Degassing within a c1d1 ventilated area.

2 Likes

so im unaware of the way c1d1 works= does it make it so the gas cant ignite?

1 Like

@c1d1labs & or @Sidco_Cat can indulge you further

But for the basics of it yes as once your meter in said area reaches its set point well below what it would take for the area to fill up & all c1d1 spaces are specified to be safe from ignition sources as well.

i have no interest Just curious. My impression was c1d1 is for emergency leaks and the standard leaks during a non cip run. not to just do a butane dump in the room. c1d1 must take static into account- i just dont wear wool socks and keep my dog away.

1 Like

Sorry typing while flipping tortillas with hands :metal:t3:

1 Like

I ate barbacoa and lasagna today= leftovers. NIce garlic bread too, with italian meats but i didnt assemble it and ate mortadella soprasetta salami and provolone bite by bite. Im lasy and procrastinating again.

2 Likes

This is a totally simplified explanation:
C1d1 is where flammable vapors are common. C1d2 is when they could be present during normal operation, but aren’t a constant.

2 Likes

I see your description but in practice in a c1d1 do they open the column while it still has hydrocarbons? i dont plan on building one but just curious. Im here to learn. I do dumb ghetto shit. I hang a hose out the window and run hot water over the column/ it still seems to have alot of gas after an hour. then I put it out and if you look you can see gas coming out still .

1 Like

Do you clean each dump? I do but I dunno wtf Im doing. If you clean each time does water prevent the static danger?

When you pour out c1d1 go vroooooom

2 Likes

but you dont just dump powders? or do you?id be worried about residue everywhere. I do it outdoors into a bucket of water and then wash and scrub the tube- I prolly dont need to wash and scrub each time other than triclamp ends.