Statement from Oregon CBD on 2020

Their point is that no one has bred a strain that can go to full smokable harvest without going over. You HAVE to harvest early.

2 Likes

Right, but I donā€™t think I agreeā€¦ Our Otto II Stout wasnā€™t harvested 2 weeks early this last year and it was compliant.

And again, the CBG strains I have seen out there are like 0.1% total T and I donā€™t think that was all harvested 2 weeks early.

2 Likes

OregonCBD CBG genetics were selected, not modified.

GMO isnā€™t inherently bad, itā€™s how you use it thatā€™s the problem.

12 Likes

Gmo has been happening in nature for years. Genetic Engineering (GE) is what the real issue.

3 Likes

Certain things definitely need to remain in the lab until proven safe. The unknowns are a reasonable threat. I remember my biochem professor giving us the ethics/morals/values discussion of GMOs and the free transmission of information regarding a certain strain of influenza that was previously only spread through direct contact. The group researching it figured out how to make it airborne and more virulent, an obvious superweapon terrorists could use if they were to ever get their hands on that genetic sequence and replicate the organism. They ended up keeping the information confidential.

It can all be scary shit, but it can also be extremely useful in other cases. Iā€™m definitely not advocating for focusing our efforts on weaponizing GMOs or anything on that end of the spectrum, but more information is always better. It would be nice to at least look into modifying individual genes in cannabis, and once found to be safe, allow the public to vote with their dollars and make their own informed decisions. It is all in who holds the power and how they use it.

4 Likes

With the help of Elon Muskā€™s non reflective satellite network, Starlink.

4 Likes

Never said OregonCBD Seeds were GMO.

Iā€™m saying that the term GMO has been around for decades to describe the genetic NATURAL modification for adaptation. Forcing something to change and allowing it to happen naturally are two separate identities.

And yes, turning off (forcing) a gene to mutate is a form of GMO that inherently causes damage in other places. And thatā€™s what some of the issues are with being ā€œnot good for youā€. So, turning off a natural enzymatic antagonist is not going to be good because itā€™s going to cause unnatural mutations down the line. But, if itā€™s a natural mutation due to adaptation, itā€™s for the structured selectivity of existence and that plants ability to maintain existence. Prime exampleā€¦ ruderalis or ā€œauto-flowersā€.

A natural occurring polyploid is fine and happens often in plants. But we took it a step further and tetraploids are being pushed now causing 2 chromosomes to split to 8 to increase production. Thatā€™s not a good thingā€¦

An interesting article talking about the enzymatic pathways for the synthase of conversion.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02525-4

3 Likes

Not the DNA but I believe you mean the RNAā€¦

3 Likes

And a gene editing technique can be naturally occurring.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting at. The phrase ā€œgenetically modified organismā€ is not a ā€œbad wordā€. Most just donā€™t understand that itā€™s also naturally occurring as well.

3 Likes

Growing in hydro or a container will produce a hemp plant that makes about 60% of its cbd potential, but also makes almost zero thc. My T1 that tested .3 total in soil tested at 0.0% thc when grown in hydro. The smokeable flower market will still exist, and plus most buyers want indoor grown flower anyway.

Seed companies like to pretend that they can tell you the exact percentage of cbd and thc in their genetics, but the real truth is that there is a big variance based upon the plantā€™s environment.

7 Likes

Iā€™m wonder if the heavy metals in the farmers soil from the use of phosphate based fertilizers from previous grows has anything to do with it?

If you want more THC, stress a plant out. I have noticed in sample testing that biomass given to us with no heavy metals had much lower THC (if not just straight compliant in flower before taken to crude and filtered) then ones that contained heavy metals.

Especially lead, cadmium, and chromium which are all oxidizers.

2 Likes

Altitude has been suggested to have an impact on THC production relating to UV exposure.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m confused

1 Like

Selection ā‰  Genetic Engineering, right?

4 Likes

100% correct.

Thatā€™s why the strains that grow in the mountains of Afghanistan have always been higher THC.

Thinner pollution so more UV and more pure oxygen enriched soil

3 Likes

Noā€¦

I was using an example in the article I posted. I just never posted the article with the original comment. I posted it in the rebuttal.

My badšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02525-4

I agree with altitude impacting cannabinoid levels, but maybe not in a way that would help the 0.3% situation. Trichomes are, after all, a defense mechanism for predation, a metabolite garbage dump for plants, temperature regulators, and a UV shield. Higher altitude = less UV protection from the atmosphere = more metabolites or trichomes per area. Iā€™ve experimented with ~270W UV bulbs during late week 3 (critical trichome formation period for those particular plants) and definitely saw increased THC percentage in a side by side grow. Varieties without the UV had about 1/4 less THC than those in the UV side and the THC:CBD ratio remained very similar.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was getting at. Just the overall atmosphere impacting cannabinoid and terpenoid expression outcomes.

We built a light moving UVB bar that swept half our canopy using tanning bulbs.

The half that were hit gained upwards of 3% more overall cannabinoid count compared to the ones that didnā€™t get it.

2 Likes

That is really interesting. I was going to say that if uv made thc, then it would be part of indoor growing, someone would be doing it. With breeders chasing the highest thc percentage, it would seem like your idea could create a flower product with higher percentage thc than what is currently on dispensary shelves.

1 Like