Starting a soventless extract biz

I have the opportunity to get a license in western Colorado and was wondering if i could make a business work just doing soventless ? Can it be done without my own grow, are there enough grows wanting their products turned into rosin, bubble hash etc. ? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

2 Likes

No, it can not be done without a grow.

11 Likes

I’m with @triptribe; one can certainly go through all the appropriate motions without a grow, but actually making money from it when paying someone else a profit for their biomass seems extremely unlikely.

8 Likes

My neighbor does this. He makes money, but he has a ton of labor costs. He is not greatly profitable even with having 50+ stores.

2 Likes

Thanks wow not what I wanted to hear!

Grow six plants. Extract all of it. Keep cycles going and keep perpetual harvests.

6 Likes

Solventless primo brands are heavily subsidized by solvent. Tbh

6 Likes

Kinda what I do. Same trim and flower that doesn’t move from my garden. Gather 10-15#, then wash and spd.

6 Likes

I would think there would be legal issues with material from a personal garden

Thanks everyone I guess I need to put the stuff together for the grow. Anyone got a consultant for business plans and licensing in Colorado?

1 Like

Just do a personal grow and sell nothing

1 Like

I’m seeing CBD dabs selling for $70/gram in Upper Michigan, and they’re made from isolate. I imagine you could move solventless pretty well, however, the ratio of trim to final product is pretty dismal.

1 Like

If you’re not in control of the material from the second it’s cut then you’re going to be fighting an uphill battle with quality control

8 Likes

If those dabs are made from isolate wouldnt there be a trace of solvent in there somewhere?

I believe they’re combining isolate and terps, not sure on their exact process.

my rosin dude charges 25% and dude is paid lol people will give your lbs. of the most fire fresh flower if u da plug
example I’m going to grow 40-50 lbs of outdoor next year and put it all in a freezer and give 25% away and still make 3x as much slanging 50 a g white hash rosin boom !!!

5 Likes

I’d considered a mobile business for toll processing of solventless, under the table of course, as a means of building capital for an above board operation. Ultimately, the risk vs reward just wasn’t at a level I was comfortable with.

1 Like

Depending on the state you are in you can get approval from the state to work in the facility as a vendor/contractor. You would need to do this for every company that hires you but once you’re approved the first time with them you don’t need to do it again. I’ve spoken to lawyers about it and they said that as long as you performed the service in a licensed facility that you could do it and just transport your press, washer, and freeze dryer. They wouldn’t take long to set up at all as long as you’ve got someone to help you wheel it in. The #1 thing that would be necessary for performing this service is you need your equipment to be completely spotless before you leave the facility. No resin or anything on it since that could get you into trouble. Which is easy enough for the appliances and you’d just throw out the bags after every gig. It’s doable but you would have to be paid by an invoice, not as a cut of the yield lol

1 Like

My model, since i’m not going to do it:

1. Initial consultation and sample press to demonstrate yield.
  2. Flat rate extraction fee per lb.
  3. Back in trailer, plug into facility power or run off generator.
  4. Extract on site.
  5. Sterilize all equipment.

In order to avoid getting tripped up, all equipment would be in a storage configuration for transport, including benches (Just moving some equipment I own), but the trailer would have preset mounting points for everything.

2 Likes

Haha I considered it too. The ice cream truck that parks in your driveway. The car wash or something funny

2 Likes