Starting a legit mushroom company

Outdoor: $60-80/ounce, $20-30/eighth
Indoor: $100-120, $25-35

Now I’m going to check high times latest issue and see if they still have the ‘spot prices’ just to compare, but I’m assuming two things before I do: West coast is cheaper and that there is an informal golden ratio alongside cannabis spot prices. Right now, spot prices are high ($2400 / lb craft) so I’d expect the same here, a nominal 15-20% increase.

(Edit: I can’t find a current issue of High Times beyond what @squig dumps [latest I saw was 2011]. I’m basing spot prices listed here basically with no sourcing, take that for what it’s worth.)

2 Likes

What strains are they?

1 Like

From common to rare:

GT, B+, Mazapatec (sp?), outdoor azur., Outdoor cyan., APE/PE, tampansis / gillindoi sclerotia, liberty caps, indoor azur / cyan

Those are like the “80%” rule: There’s dozens of other varieties that make up only a small fraction of the market. You’d have to look them all up in the radical mycology bible or similar comprehensive resource to list them all.

1 Like

Psilocybin Cyanescens and Azurescens…especially Cyans… :heart:

2 Likes

Would anyone shed some light on the dos and don’ts of mushroom distribution where they are decimalized? [edit: I might start a thread on this]

1 Like

Distribution is only decriminalized in Ann Arbor as of 9/20. There’s even one company advertising their microdose on Adwords.

Use Google Business, but don’t buy any ads.

1 Like

Does this mean that in other locations it is pick-up only? or trip on location or both?

It’s a gray area. I think it means you’re free to grow and consume yourself in the cities that have decriminalized but selling to anyone is still considered criminal everywhere but in Ann Arbor. Of course, it’s still federally illegal, so even in Ann Arbor, one could run into trouble

Looks like the best strategy is start an edible mushroom business in state where shrooms are not legal yet but will be legalized in the near future (before 2025). witch many already stated before me.

build a costumer base, educate on the benefits of eating mushrooms and replacing other unhealthy protein sources, get them into cooking shows/classes, on menus and at your local supper market.
Exposer and education is key.

2 Likes

Guy here in Colorado tried that DEA was on him faster then a fly on shit https://www.westword.com/news/dea-uses-news-articles-social-media-to-track-down-alleged-denver-mushroom-dealer-11513764

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you aren’t talking about the same strain shrooms. These aren’t lions mane or chicken of the woods.

You arent supposed to start with the illegal ones… start with the legal ones, build your customer base and THEN, once its legal add it to your menu.

3 Likes

Anybody got the hookup on those dry land fish?

Is that some new hip term for drugs? “Dry land fish”

5 Likes

When y’all ready to scale up and build a commercial facility give me a ring. I didn’t grow up next to the mushroom capitol of the world for nothing.

3 Likes

“5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Growing Mushrooms For A Living”

6 Likes

Where was this talk the other day. I have to say, we both missed out on a good conversation.

2 Likes

(upload://q4KPv3SndjGJRDdXSGj1XhfFuYs.jpeg)

You can open an online shop if you want to start a legit mushroom company in Canada. There are lots of online site in CA that caters to mushrooms users. I'm not sure if they advertise, but when you do some research, they appear on top of Google searches. I learned microdose and discovered capsules by doing online research, so maybe it will work if you build your website and try to grow its organic traffic.