Standard Passive recovery time

yes pull a vac on the recovery if you have a safe pump and place to vent it. Theres still gas in it. I dunno how much it helps, temps do enough.

You don’t need any dry ice for your tank. The coil will condenser the hot vapor into liquid and the positive pressure will push the liquid out of the coil into your recovery tank which you have pre vacuumed down. The butane liquid enters the recovery tank extremely cold and after the first couple lbs into the tank it will cool its self down and even maintain it’s own vaccume but can build up later on in the run and will need to be burped threw a vapor port on your recovery tank. With a 1000w heater set at 110 on my collection I can evaporate and condense at a rate of 1lbs a min, at the end of 15lbs of solvent recovered it says 96 degrees. It tanks quickly even with a 1000w bucket heater.

1 Like

right place. now spend some more time reading.

2 Likes

Nope I bought the trs 21 just before learning about future. so passive is a thing of the past for now.

Cool story

2 Likes

as opposed to the (maybe 100W) “fish tank heater” OP is using…

how far away from your pipe bomb is that 1000W ignition source?

3 Likes

Lol it’s in the next room over. I have a jacketed collection. It’s a Cooler with a small Mag drive pump, 1000w bucket heater on a inkbird controller. It’s a lot better then people using a sous vide in a bucket with there collection pot.

2 Likes

Awesome!!

we’ve had tell of it in the bucket with the pipe bomb…

agreed!!

I’ve got pictures of it after I put a real thermostat on it around here somewhere…the OEM one had way too much hysteresis.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s bad. The really bad part is the inkbird controller. It has a relay inside that the contact point could cause ignition for sure. I found 4kw on demand style hot water heater on Amazon that will work on 220v with only 20amps. Only 160 bucks. Has a temp controller build in too. That would be my next upgrade. But I actually like the way it tanks on the end. I feel like it’s better for terp preservation when the solvent ratio in lower towards the end.

Would this be a decent way of heating water from a distance via pex pipe??? Also does having a jacketed collection chamber speed up recovery time?

You should be able to recover that in like 10 mins. Post some pics of your setup and tell a little more about how you run it; That should help get better tips on what to do

5 Likes

3kw is probably overkill for 6lb of solvent, but at that price…

how many watts is your fish tank heater?

see: Hot water circulation

which also has pictures claimed above…

edit: did I mention; READ :wink:

They have cheaper ones too was just wondering thoughts on that particular unit. There’s a couple cheaper ones if you scroll to the bottom of the page…

yeah, I try not to buy cheap heaters.

mind you, I’ve suggested turning a four by 6"x48" rack into a water heater by adding four of these…

https://www.glaciertanks.com/elemt-r18kw-208-delta-high.html

(you can certainly build much saner devices using parts available at glacier)

EDIT: best answer: @Soxhlet for the win

Pool Pump for Jacketed Base? - #15 by Soxhlet

1 Like

Gaining lots of knowledge just from chatting it up!!! Sure probably overkill for small uno lb unit but as I upgrade and move forward with this venture I’ll grow into the water heater. Sounds like running pex and tankless heater are getting installed this weekend with cooler for temp stability are best option. Then onto buying another column and building a rack mounted system for next upgrade.

Wonder if a 1000w inline aquarium or pond heater would work well???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-Aquarium-Pond-External-Heater-Professional-Series-1000w-300-650-litres-/283865474897?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

1 Like

Setup a Rheem retex13 kw on demand with a 75 gallon stock tank and a grundfundos hot water circulation pump this weekend. 85 degree 100% stabilized water bath all day.

5 Likes

New bath tank worked great with unions then ran 1/2 inch pex to and from tank with circulation pump in the middle. All in a separate room of course.

1 Like

I like using pig troughs lol

4 Likes

Switched to a jacketed bowl reducer and a 5 gallon bucket with a thermostatically controlled immersion heater and an in-line circulation pump