Stainless Steel Rotovap? /OpenSource Idea?

I thought about it long and hard and I think I came up with a solution If there was a way to make a free spinning shot gun condenser where the vapor tube is then the problem would essentially be solved here. As well as making the rotovap stand able to counter balance the weight of all the stainless added

Well what I figure is maybe I can see if @Soxhlet or @Killa12345 could make me some kind of free spinning hose parts attached to 1/2 inch water outlets on a jackets splatter platter and make a free spinning clamp… but I need to accumulate cash first. but I want to make the free spinning idea work and I want to be able to measure out the weight differentials and maybe even see if one of them can build me a heavier rotovap stand Then again my last post wasnt a bad thought either

Probably easier to adapt a stock rotary union

1 Like

I helped design and build something like this in 2017. It was a 200gal stainless steel jacketed vessel that had a large motor that stirred the inside contents with a teflon scraper. The solvent vapors were condensed by a shell and tube heat exchanger and the liquid collected in an 80gal receiver. It’s sitting in a storage yard in Coachella and it’s for sale haha.

1 Like

I think something like this would work best.

1 Like

I’m buying a Powder mixer, V-type, 200L capacity, it will run 5000# of Epsom salts every few months, in the off time it will be used for dangerous scientific experiments involving vacuum, solvents, and directed energy

4 Likes

Hi,
swiveling water connection are no problem, and can be done relatively cheaply.

@Killa12345 you in the custom fab game now? lol

1 Like

not at all. i can send a design to china and just about have anything made though…

But all that is needed is some parker stainless 60 series iso-b quick couplers should fix this problem easily and give you full rotation at the same time

or even generic if just water… probably could get a set for $50 if you look

4 Likes

Well right now I’m poor af on extra cash to spend on this stuff so this is all just ideas. But I’m greatful that I’m getting ideas for the rotation

2 Likes

What I would need made is a 6×2 jacketed splatter platter made with the hose connections on the bottom of the platter rather than on the sides of the platter. Then again though I’m not sure how that would work. I need to make diagrams and start being crazy with ideas. But in the end I’m gonna come back to this idea.

if you have an existing platter we could delete the ports and add new ones.

2 Likes

Can you add a jacket to a platter that has no jacket?

2 Likes

of course,no prob!

2 Likes

Well shit, I gotta save up some money :sweat_smile::yum:

2 Likes

Water doesn’t touch me …

Other than a couple of product segments, at a few scales that seems to be about the only way to get equipment that isn’t garbage or green taxed to hell or both.

5 Likes

Id beg to disagree, we aren’t either one. You’d be surprised what we can build for the $.

2 Likes

I wish I had the money because I would like to design a system that uses collars to hold the spools on versus having tri-clamp connections. I don’t how practical it would be, but I do know it should be able to hold some serious pressure!

1 Like

Are you talking about pipe flanges?

2 Likes

Either flanges, or screw collars. Just screw the spool down onto the collection, with collar joining both. But on second hand it might not be the most efficient because I can see weed, and plant matter getting into screw threads as you screw the spool down onto it.
If any of that makes sense! I’m definitely not a designer
I have wondered why I haven’t seen it anywhere, and I can only imagine that it isn’t worth it and that’s why I haven’t seen it done anywhere

1 Like