Stainless Steel Rotovap? /OpenSource Idea?

So I’ve recently been thinking to myself about building a still out of cls parts or something like that just for fun and because quarantine has me bored out of my skull

Then, I got to thinking why isn’t there a stainless steel rotovap? Then I got to thinking about how one of those would even work out to be functional.

So right now what I’ve been thinking is because the main thing that a rotovap provides is the rotational boiling flask as to provide a faster recovery than the traditional distillation of solvent; is how would I mimic that.

What I would do for a stainless rotovap is to use a cls base as a boiling flask. I figure the best way to mimic the spinning is to have something under the bottom of the base spinning in a counter clockwise motion.

Where I’m stumped with this is how would I make this happen.

2 Likes

because ffe

9 Likes

Yeah. Whenever I think about optimization of roots it always brings me back to the falling film. The thing there is to figure out how to build one that doesn’t need industrial installation.

Like if there was something like this on a triclamp set-up, then surely there could be a way to have a cls base spinning out etoh.

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of FFE. I prefer to recover the solvent, decarb, and purge all in one vessel.

2 Likes

@AlexSiegel showed me some cool metal SPD stuff. Bet he’d be able to work on that.

4 Likes

That one rotational piece is really all what’s needed.

1 Like

You better beef up the motor and gears. That roto Motor would never survive.

3 Likes

Well what I was thinking was maybe the heating element can have the motor to spin the base on the inside. Cause now I’m stuck in how I would get it to spin and heat at the same time. Maybe a digital heating mantle with a stainless steel plate disk that spins…

Shit this is gonna take some more thought.

2 Likes

Maybe there could be a way to have a jacketed base designed with the jacket to be flooded from the bottom and maybe there could be a way to make it so that area where you would put the hoses for the water is also on a joint that makes it so that the base would spin but the other areas stay stationary so that you could have something spinning the base but have it so the water is heating the base at the same time…

1 Like

Im pretty sure @Graywolf whipped one up back in the day.

3 Likes

Maybe @Graywolf can chime in. I’d love to know how he made his.

1 Like

I was close, I read about it on GW’s site.

The credit goes to Siskiyou Sam!

close enough design to copy or learn from anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dis is awesome

2 Likes

Haha yeah ive thought of this too!
Ive got a whole page of designs that uses pretty much off the shelf parts. Just gotta custom make 2 or 3 pieces. But the stainless will allow u to jacket any chilling column, and throw way more spiral tubing down the middle of it.
Most of my designs resembled summits max roto,
The idea was to mount it to a skid, and make everythinh triclamped for easy swapping. I had a design with two roto balls going into one condenser tube that splits into two cooling chambers. With a dib tube going into each roto ball, so u can just close the valve to one and swap out the ball while its continously running with the other roto ball.

Ill post my pics when i get into the lab tomorrow

6 Likes

Well I wasn’t thinking about a motor lifting up the base and mimic the design of a rotovap entirely. That’s insane, not even I wanna attempt trying to make a device able to balance that much weight.

I think the jacketed base with the area where you plug in the water would be a good idea and have that on a spinning plate with a hole on the bottom.

Again having the parts to make the base rotational while keeping the rest stationary would be needed as well as figuring out a way to get that kind of a base fabricated.

1 Like

Membrane skids! easy and plugging in and your done.

4 Likes

Maybe just think vertical? Have your CLS bottom sit flat in a bucket of water with a souvide, fab an over head stirrer lid for it, attach hosing to your preffered condensation/collection vessel, voila.

2 Likes

How big of a vessel?

I thought of an overhead stirrer, that doesn’t seem effective.