Stainless Steel Mason Jars

So I’m curious. Has anyone ever thought about or looked into using single walled SS mason jars in place of glass when collecting fractions? I’m pretty sure I’ve read that in some places laws prohibit labs from pouring out into glass jars due to the fact that they could shatter. Accidents happen, glass shatters. Full on diamond miners seem like a bit overkill so I was thinking this could be a nice middle ground. Just brainstorming and thought maybe this was possible. Open to all suggestions and input. Thanks!

2 Likes

Are you saying recover into stainless? That would drive me nuts not being able to see my receiving flask

2 Likes

When I said fractions I’m referring to fractions from a BHO closed loop with a chromatography column. Even without the chroma column some people choose to grow diamonds in jars. I was just thinking, if done right, stainless could be a safer alternative.

1 Like

Like a diamond miner?

6 Likes

Screenshot_20200627-183342(1) assuming he means something like this. Way cheaper than a diamond miner

1 Like

Haha, yeah, like a diamond miner, but like a jar, and stainless steel… I specifically stated that I though full on diamond miners were overkill. Especially for pulling lots of different fractions, diamond miners seem especially inconvenient.

They come in all shapes and sizes…because…metal.

Mine look like this.

16 Likes

And i still use a damn Mason jar having two of these. I do use them to decarb BHO for carts though.

How big is that triclamp? And out of curiosity, what is the purpose of two ball valves on it? Wouldn’t just one suffice? Although miners are the safest option, it still looks like it would take up 2x as much space in an oven, and cost 10x as much as a SS mason jar.

Edit: I think I finally figured it out, I felt like my brain was broken for a second. The second valve is to purge the headspace with nitrogen before adding additional pressure?

1 Like

Yeah like this. I was thinking it would be nice to have a visual so I imagined a SS jar like that with some sort of clear lid. Would anyone even consider using something like this if it were available? Or am I totally off down the wrong road?

Eagle stainless is “Cheapest” option I’ve found . Given this because I assumed they would approved in licensed setting if jars became a no no.

Grabbed a couple 2” tc ones off eBay years ago then went back to masons lol

It’s a 3" clamp.

I can get behind the idea of wanting a metal vessel for crashing THCa. During the crash process, I like to be able to see very clearly the inside of the jar. I watch the saturation level, viscosity to temperature consistency, crystal formation etc. Non of which would be possible with a stainless Mason jar, or the gadget I posted above. Basically, my SOP would not be possible with a metal vessel. All the information I am using to judge when to burp, to seed, to heat, to know when my crash is done, is given to me through the clarity of a glass jar.

How is your SOP such that capping and opening when done is possible without visual evidence?

3 Likes

This is the kind of feedback I like! Thank you. I haven’t attempted to make proper diamonds myself yet, I’m really just trying to put feelers out for if this would be a viable product. Basically just a SS jar with a clear lid. Something much cheaper, compact, and user friendly than a bunch of diamond miners. Slightly more expensive, durable, and possibly even more sanitary than mason jars; as I believe that the rubber ring on the normal lids are held in with glue and I’m not sure if either is chemically compatible with the solvent or terpenes they would be exposed to.

Do you think you would be able to accomplish the same visual observations and crash successfully if there were a clear lid and you could see in through the top?

2 Likes

I really like the side view, and the bottom to see crystal growth. However these are the points of view I have available, and I cannot view through the top. I think the top view is helpful over no visibility at all…obviously. people use miners that offer top view sight glasses, so I’m sure it would work just as well.

The problem is typically that any improvement over a Mason jar doesn’t offer the value that it costs financially…unless you’ve got those pesky legalities to navigate…

1 Like

The seal of a classic mason jar is just held mechanically, in a small groove under the lid.

So i left a little extra solvent and did a pour into jars i heard one of the lids leaking figured it was too loose as soon as i tightened it slightly the lid popped straight off and all the oil in the jar immediately muffined into my hand . So if you hear lids leaking probably better to not tighten anymore ! I was thankful the jar did not explode ! Back to scraping thick oil into the jars crashes way faster anyways .

1 Like

I’m with you on that.

I heard leaking before to and went to loosen my lid and same thing happened. Loud ass pop then lid flew off. Had wax all over my arm. Lost about 1/4 of yield

1 Like

Yes…I’m aware of how mason jar lids work lol. That small grove has some sort of rubber gasket adhered to it. What kid of rubber is it? What is it stuck to the lid with? Glue? Are either of them chemically compatible with terpenes and solvents? What about the painted steel? I understand people aren’t dropping dead from using jars, but if the objectives are safety and cleaner medicine are these not small downsides of a traditional mason jar lid?

2 Likes

I think I did not understand. Are you referring to another type of jar ?

Because there is no glue at all in a mason jar.
The rubber seal is usually made of silicone, most of the time colored in orange.
I guess the orange pigment is goethite, and sometimes hematite for the more red ones.

1 Like