Stainless Screw Press SOLVENT RECOVERY

Have a very nice condition Vincent CP-6 screw press for sale. Will separate 400 lbs/hour of biomass and solvent better than any centrifuge on the planet.

Specs:

5 hp EXPLOSION PROOF motor w/VFD (adjustable speed, runs off single phase power)
316L SS construction
2 sets of screens, wedge wire and perforated
Proven at 400 lb biomass/hour throughput into bone dry cake and laden ethanol for recovery

$40,000 firm, available NOW. These are $48,000 new with all the screens and a 4-month wait.

2 Likes

Why are you selling?

4 Likes

This press moves significant volume, big enough for a lab running 8,000 lbs a day. In 2019 and beyond, it’s get HUGE or have a defensible niche. Headed one of those ways, whoever gets this machine will be on the way to fat cat status.

2 Likes

Soooo… why are yah selling it? Haha

3 Likes

Been looking at those and spoke with a well known on this forum and he said when you start squeezing that hard you rupture plant cells and get undesirable matter in your solvent you now have separate different than if you used a fuge. Thoughts?

6 Likes

That’s been my experience with screw presses as well.

6 Likes

When running warm material at higher speeds, cell walls rupture and chlorophyll can become mobile.

This machine operates at 14 RPM while running frozen material, and excess mobile matter hasn’t been an issue.

Different processes I suppose.

1 Like

Do you think that a screw press would be viable for the purpose of coconut oil extraction and further processing into tinctures and salves?

Is this press still available?

There is still a wedge wire screen set available for a CP-6, but the presses have sold. Check out the screen set and other inventory: https://www.verdantbiopharma.com/inventory

1 Like

Screw press company told me running cold is fine running frozen is bad. Frozen material means the water content of the trim is ice. Units will make shrieking noises and ice is very hard on the screw.

you haven’t seen how folks in this industry abuse their equipment have you?

Was that a sales rep or an engineer?
were they discussing dewatering or solvent removal?

trying to dewater below the freezing point of water? yeah sounds like a dumb idea, and I’ll buy that it qualifies as abusive to the press.

extracting cured material with ethanol at -20C? might have problems with tolerances or elastomeric seals, but the concept that actual “ice” is damaging to the machine seems far fetched to me…and I pride myself on my decoding skills when it comes to the screams for help made by abused machines

I have to admit that I’ve only ever run into screw presses after they were decommissioned in favor of other tools. might look at dewatering for next harvest given how much biomass seems to have rotted in the field this time around.

1 Like

Come visit me like we was talkin’ and I’ll show you a screw press or two… the proof is in the pudding, and it’s really, really nice pudding.

2 Likes

It was a conversation with someone at Vincent.

I’ve been working with Dave at USA Labs and we went to a hydraulic wine press (30 ton and dual barrels) capable of 3500 lb a day consistently (with a crew of 2… easily more with a crew of 4). We run -80c EToH and pump directly into the barrels, add the biomass, building a mounted agitator, run it into a columned rack for filtration right into an FFE. Dialing it in as we speak and I can tell you it works like a dream with just a few more tweaks (pumps styles… trying different kinds, dialing in temps for the FFE).
We will be experimenting with flash freezing fresh cut and blasting with LN2 to flash freeze and then run it with the cryo EToH to free up farmers from drying and storing making it a more profitable for the farmers.

The future looks bright!

3 Likes

we had “someone at Vincent” sorted last time :wink:

sales rep? or engineer?

that is often an important distinction, when it comes to getting the skinny on what will and won’t work.

Water? or Ethanol?!?

because inquiring minds want to know…

It was ethanol and it was the (sales?) guy who called me back after a sales inquiry. Sorry i dont have more but i was drivimg and not taking written notes like inusually do. This info is from memory of the conversation.

2 Likes

It might have been me you spoke with. Rob is out traveling right now so might not be able to respond to this. He is the one who manages the Vincent Corp profile here on the site and responded initially. I work in sales at Vincent focused on the Hemp / CBD / THC market.

We wouldn’t run straight ice cubes through our press however the presses can be cleaned with ice water. Water is a beast. It doesn’t compress. Ice can be pressed so tight it won’t exit the discharge and could potentially bend the Stainless Steel flights. So can material left in the press over a weekend that turns into almost hempcrete.

We have performed multiple tests here in Tampa to duplicate what our customers have told us. One we haven’t duplicated is pressing material at -40 to -80 because we don’t have the means to get the material that cold. Feedback I have received is the press will screech like a whale but thats just friction and not necessarily bad as it can happen at ambient temps to with certain material. The bigger concern would be ice packing itself into something that won’t compress and causing damage inside the screen ie. resistor bars bent into flights or flights themselves bending and ice pushing through the wedgewire screen.

What it comes down to is whether you want more equipment up front to maintain that cold temp or you would rather have a little more on the back end to deal with. We have around 120 of these in extraction labs or part of that process and another 10 or so dewatering before a dryer. Some do it colder, some do it ambient, and many won’t tell us what they are doing. It is our belief that doing it at say -20 will result in less waxes, lipids, and chlorophyll into the press liquor than at ambient.

If these presses were not working trust me they would be coming back to us left and right. Whats happening instead is people are continuing to use them year after year and expanding the way they are using them (See Precision Extraction Vulcan at 14:29). Why use a piece of 70 year old technology in a brand new turn key extraction system? Its proven, its simple and it works in over 200 different industries.

I’ll try to monitor this page a little more to answer any questions. Im not a Chem E (we do have though) but I will never BS my way to an answer. I will seek the correct answer and if I can’t get it I will be up front about it. We don’t sell paper weights. We make sure it will work for the customer first.

We welcome anyone to Tampa to test on one if they like or sed us what you want tested.

Matt

4 Likes

thank you @MattVincentCorp!

so that would be a no on feeding them fresh frozen biomass to “dewater”, and a qualified yes on extracting with ethanol below the freezing point of water?

possibly even a yes on feeding fresh frozen material with -40C or -80 solvent, but nobody has admitted to that without making you sign and NDA :wink:

Edit: …and confirmation that folks in this industry will continue to run machinery even if it screams really loud :rofl:

2 Likes

i was told at MJbiz from vincent that when running wet material thru, you are effectively de-sugaring too. Fellow at the booth claimed something like saving over 100K$ an acre in propane drying when dewatering with the screwpress. The “high” brix water/sugar solution apparently can be further processed into co-products. Until then, I was very unclear as to why someone would want to put wet biomass thru this machine, now I can see how some folks might find the value proposition attractive - running wet material to dewater/desugar -

1 Like