Spray distillate onto flower

We had trouble with the ethanol dilution, spray, purge method. Needed a food dehydrator to purge to acceptable levels but it nuked all the terps. One idea I never tried was using terps to thin out the oil and spray. Don’t need to worry about purging as they will naturally degas and probably would enhance flavor.

Ever noticed distillate likes to create strands at the end of pouring? Use this property to basically electro sputter a large tray of buds. Not sure how this could be pulled off but is a cool idea as it would be highly controllable.

5 Likes

This is interesting, could even formulate a strain’s terpene profile to dilute your disty in, if you wanted to get fancy

6 Likes

I don’t think this is a good project, I don’t even really see the interest in such project. Well grown, the natural cannabis flowers get the right taste ane ammounts of cannabinoids (why more ?) and a correct ratio of fat and dry material to burn nicely. Perhaps such approach would be interesting for formulating synthetic smokable product, of exotic composition, but there again, a blend of natural flowers would still be better.

But just to participate in the technical discussion. The thing will only stick to the outer surface of buds. I can only see such process doable consistently on grinded buds, as what is practiced in tobaco industry.

The approach I would favor would involve a CO2 composite spray.

7 Likes

Rehydrate your buds. Use three parts water to one part dry bud.

Four oz bud will rehydrate to one wet pound. Calculate the amount of distillate you need in order to raise the thc to your desired level in 4 oz of dry bud. Warm the oil and pour it over the rehydrated buds.

Next, take the buds and put into a wide mouth jar or another suitable vessel. A one pint jar fits just about one wet pound of buds perfectly. This is what I found to be the ideal size for pilot experiments before scaling up this tech.

Use a tamper as you fill the jar and tamp down the buds with as much pressure as possible as you are filling. So, really squash them down, and try to do so evenly. You want as little airspace as possible in the jar and between the buds. As the jar becomes full, the juices should be oozing back out of the flower. This is a good thing.

Once you’re jar is mostly full, put some sort of plate or weight in there to hold the buds down below the water level in the jar. You are inducing an anaerobic fermentation. Lid the jar, and then optionally (yet preferably) you can use some sort of airlock mechanism to allow gases to escape but not enter the jar.

Place this jar in an incubation chamber in which you can maintain a temperature of at least 105 deg F. One easy way to do this is with a seedling mat hooked to a temp probe - put a piece of insulation underneath the mat and some sort of tote over the top of it. Place probe in the tote. Put a heavy blanket around the whole thing.

Keep the jar in the incubation chamber for about 48 hours. If you want and have time, after 24 hours you can remove the jar, empty it’s contents into a bowl, and air the material. Mix it up then stuff back in the jar using the previously described tamping technique. Put back in incubation chamber. You should see bubbling and activity in the jar after a short time.

Once this part is done, you have options. You can age it in a cool environment preferably underground, or you can use it as is. Aging is what was always done in the old days to both bud and hash, and was always the most prized smoke. Like wine.

When you’re ready to use, you just have to first obviously empty the jar, fluff up and spread out the buds and allow them to dry again in a temp/humidity controlled environment. When you cure this way, you don’t have to worry about rapid drying harshing up your bud. It will smoke smoother than anything you’ve ever tasted even if you dry it quick. Still, I recommend a low and slow dry. This bud burns to a clean white ash with almost no carbonaceous residue.

This is a tek that I invented from studying a combination of Malawi bud curing, traditional tobacco processing, and my own experimentation, and it makes fucking AMAZING smoke. Like nothing else you’ve ever tried.

Plus, you can chew on the buds that have been put through this process and you get high af.

You can also do this with isolate, kief, terpenes, and so on. If you are willing to experiment, fermentation can do INCREDIBLE things with cannabis and hardly no one has even cracked into this universe of possibility. Enzymes and microbes are EVERYTHING in nature’s chemical processing. Enzymes make what is not water soluble become water soluble. Enzymes cause what is non-homogenizing to become homogenized. Enzymes are responsible for miracles of nature.

31 Likes

External terps on flower is whack and also will leach with packaging and be extremely harsh to smoke. Like painfully harsh.

It seems like a good idea because it’s a solvent that won’t fail you for testing but that doesn’t make it any less dangerous. If you could do this with 1-2% terps i wouldn’t against it but to get distillate liquid enough to spray youd need to introduce a dangerous level of fake terps

5 Likes

True… what about playing with a cheap airbrush?

I know some people who have used the Malawi fermentation method with high CBD cultivars. They found no improvement in aesthetic or effect.

Excuse me for the noob question but what about mold? That much water scares me. Not saying I’m not going to think about this concept more since it sounds like it has some really unique potential.

3 Likes

HFC 134a if you can figure it out - would Be the best way to aerosol it.
But if you got that far, might as well make MDIs and be one the first people to do this the smart way.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/7104252689621762804?q=spray+gun+for+undercoating+schutz+gun&client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=414&bih=622&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=epd:702598700254282350,paur:ClkAsKraX95WiYf-nZwS_TiEaaokGQ-99g57a9VtyfDAO7biakEOJ3u5coh0qdgYFJDdlI8Af9bbOMum_PBizoMA3yrXFkG0qBeTYA98JKj7PZ3Knq6fHJDXKRIZAFPVH73SmXWzxyVn561i3Uh3_FyEqPEIZQ,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Preheat that oil Lmao should be good.
Hope you got more than 100lbs

Might as well use co2 clear with terps or diamonds in a foil / glitter :sparkles: gun attachments for auto paint.

3 Likes

Thats cool,I can understand that. this is not the malawi tech though. My experience has been the opposite of your friends. I thought we were talking about thc in here anyway.

Regardless, with cbd ive found it definitely improves the smoothness, taste, and body of the smoke. Effect is subjective but my old lady doesnt want to smoke anything else now. :grin:

1 Like

If your flower already had mold would be the only chance of contaminating the batch.

Even then, theres a possibility this process would actually eliminate the mold by allowing beneficial organisms to dominate the fermentation.

Its important to get out as much air as possible and to keep the buds submersed in their juices. An airlock lid also helps. As long as oxygen is not coming into contact with the buds, you are safe from mold.

Its like making sauerkraut. Like sauerkraut, a bit of salt thrown in there is useful to discourage dysbiotic microbial activity.

4 Likes

That is super intriguing. I’ve been playing around with the idea of a fermentation cure for hemp flower. That’s why I mentioned the high CBD cultivars results. The usual strains used for cob curing are sativas. I’ve eaten some and found it to be more trippy than jar cured. These guys just cob cured some Harle-Tsu and another strain. Love to hear more about your results.

3 Likes

I also thought of a bedliner sprayer

1 Like

Can you expand on that. I was thinking the same but wasn’t aware of these suggestions.

Dissolve in butane place in a plant spray pressure pump s

Place biomass in a cement mixer turn it on and spray

13 Likes

I’m assuming this is all nonfiction and for entertainment but point of the 134a is non flammable and nontoxic and not ozone depleting and is available almost everywhere

This makes me wonder if it’s worth looking into again. Last year there was a supplier but they started to sell contaminated r134a so it was a fail.
I’ve heard the terp profiles are amazing

—-ya I just looked that up and residuals will make a poison so don’t use it if there will be residuals and smoking involved

2 Likes

All treu but it ain’t cheap :smiley:

2 Likes

The purpose is to sell a Luxury product to the privileged, made out of standard quality meds.
Possibly consider spraying nuggs with the blood of the poor and dusting with gold leaf.

16 Likes

I don’t get why your so salty bro.

I read your little rant about being broke and needing medicine, so do it. I grow a fuck ton of product and extract it all for a minimal amount of cash. Either add to the conversation or just ignore it.

No need to cry about everyone else being able to do things you cant. Improve your lot in life instead of complaining about it.

Edit: Hell man, I’ll even send you some diy led lights, for free, if costs are that big of a deal. You can grow and process so much for so little, if you’re not doing that, that’s on you man. I don’t care if you live in an apartment or wherever, you can grow shit anywhere. There’s no need to call everyone bougie and shit.

9 Likes