SPD - Last few steps before finish line - help!

Honestly the bentonites seem to do the most for us. AC can rapidly redden the solution if it’s exposed to air so I consider it for “heavy lifting”. You can always re-run if you find one scrub is not enough and since you are going to distillate, it doesn’t need to be perfect gold color on the input side. Remember that you are preparing to make the distillation process selective, not to make pretty oil that you will then distill

1 Like

Copy, so possible a similar bento cake as previous and must try to dial in the AA if not suggesting only using the bento and celite under.

Definitely helped a bunch a right now unlocking the small doubts that lead to head rubbing instead of scrubbin lol @SidViscous @Renchi thank you good men.

Will post back when im at it following days

2 Likes

Keep us updated, I’m always on here so if you need a quick answer just tag me and you’ll probably get one lol

1 Like

Thanks sir, i will :pray:

I Saw somebody suspend oil in hot water, i tjougjt might me good step before diluting in heptane, if not doing more scrubbing/powders

Hot water>oil>Drain water>dilute in heptan>continue the LLE

I’m not sure what exactly the hot water would be accomplishing. You definitely want to exclude as much water as possible during the scrub so I wouldn’t intentionally add water to the process, even with the low miscibility of water in heptane.

The only way I can think of that being useful would be to devolitilize/terp strip the oil but doing it properly is pretty involved and probably not worthwhile at small scale. Just my impression though, I’d be happy to hear otherwise

1 Like

it was properly from here Fractioning off MCT Diluent - #10 by square_root_pharms

looks like was mostly for terp strip, all new to me until i do it hehe so was thinking the hot water might take some the heptane/water lle didnt,

Yeah, keep us updated and good luck.

On using hot water, i would do that when degumming and the oil is suspended in heptane. It’s easier for the water to grab the unwanted compounds when the oil is dissolved in solvent. But depending on how you degum you can’t go hotter than 50c of your using enzymes.

When you are doing lle wash until the water is coming out clear before switching to the next ph. When using the neutral ph make sure you end the washes with pure water, not brine, and that the ph comes out the same as it went in. That is how you know you’re neutral.

4 Likes

Not going to use any enzyme, dont have any also hehe.

Got 100g t5, 100g AA, and celite for cake in the oven baking at 100*C 3hours

Got my oil suspended in heptane 3:1, around 300-310ml og crude at this stage

Ethanol was testing around 5-6 ph, never used ph strips lol, i got 1-14 range on the ph’s

Dosnt anybody use a ph meter? Surely must be more accurate in the ph water stages

Obvously need Some practice making cakes, i feel like the celite behaved d7fferently after i baked it.

Or behaved diffrent in etho making the cakes :thinking::thinking:

How do you put paper inbetween layers when the paper on top of media doesnt lay flat

I tried making them without inbetween but pouring on a lid to disperse liquid

The “better” side lol… Looking forward to be able to crc

Is this the One i should follow? Does one filter the soulution or is it good to go after mixing @SidViscous

That looks like a pretty solid write up. I’ve had mixed success with dissolving the salt in the solutions, it’s only really necessary if you have a large emulsion form or if you have a lot of THCa (the solubility of d9 in water is essentially zero)

No need to filter although you may consider using a suitable drying agent to dry the heptane solution before recovering and distilling so that there’s no water in your oil. Probably overkill because the solubility of water in heptane is very low but if you use hexane it’s definitely a good idea

Edit: I highly suggest reading the sections on LLE and drying in Zubrick to get some background

2 Likes

Thanks mate, so no salt. I didnt decarb it before dropping in heptane tho. Useally still a good amount of thca left in kief judging by the oil in boiling water decarb i done prior to this setup lol

But its Also been in the roto for quite some time, first on 60C for severale hours for winterizing then severale hours getting etho out and heptane in, only did 46C ,bath temp there tho.

Ya Will properly skip any dehydration step i got mol sieve tho but cant do Everything in first go either hehe

If you didn’t decarb you are dealing with thca. The reason I’m recommending brine is that i had emulsion layers doing the heptane lle which i lost a severe amount. Until you’re real familiar with lle you should use brine (3-5% is fine) for your ph washes as it makes the emulsion layer smaller and you should also separate the wash water from the emulsion layer. Save the emulsion layer separately and you can put more heptane in there and recover any cannabinoids stuck there in a later wash.

As i said before use pure water in the end with the natural wash. Make sure you measure the ph in the water before and after the wash, preferably with a ph meter.

When it comes to your layers put the aa on top as the last layer, no solvent needed. Use alot of solvent when making the slurry with the other powders so when you pour into the funnel the powders are in liquid and not a putty. I keep stirring my beaker until i pour it into the funnel. Then the layers should be even. I only have a filter paper underneath the powders and one on top when filtering the oil. You don’t need them inbetween the layers. It becomes easier the more you do it.

2 Likes

i have a 2l and 5 liter funnel, i had read the one with saving the last bit of water and doing in a smaller funnel, though the bottoms of 2 and 5l’s sep funnels are about same size.

i have distilled water for last wash, deionized for the others, i just calibrated the cheapo ph 009 meter hehe.

ya might be that i didnt use enough solvent wasnt my best attemp for sure hehe

Just normal table salt? and for 1liter 30-50milliter of salt.

i have my crude ready in 1:4 oil/hep, preparing ph stages now but will wait till tomorrow if need to use salt also

Dont have any NaCi :thinking: but can read people just use plain cheap salt.

Just got my seps cleaned, will do wash tomorrow.

I have used kosher salt and that worked aswell, so you should be fine. I go by weight, not volume, so 30-50g salt/liter.

It’s possible to not use salt, if your emulsion layer is to big you can put some salt in and shake.

Google says:
Add table salt (NaCl). If you know that your sample forms emulsions, you can add the salt to the sample prior to shaking with the solvent. If you are trying to break an already formed emulsion , you can shake the salt into the sample.

1 Like

Ah can read that salt doesnt Change the PH, thought it would.

Will give it a go

1 Like

Takes forever to get the clean ph 7 wash to separate, only drained out around 1200ml of water in 24 hours lol, trying to separate the stubborn layer in different funnel, got dry ice coming tomorrow so I gotta get finish and decarb so can run tormorrow

It takes so long to separate without salt because its crude oil and not first pass ?

Got the kitchen “sep-up” going here

Edit: a bell rang, it was what you guys said witj thc-a, i Will never perform a LLE on non decarbed again, that is a bitch to separate.

Im sure it must me all the thca just havin lunch break in the funnel doin nothing.

Not sure it Will ever seperate 100%

Will do heptane extraction from now and only have to revocer solvents 1 time, and then after sep funnel, making decarb step before more easy feasible

If I knew it would take this long I had decarb before or did on first pass

Huge mistake, can’t get I to sep, even reintroduced 5% salt again to the thca solution only, it still won’t. Got it sitting on top of my radiator now hoping higher heat will help a separation

1 Like