Spd help. Head temp keeps dropping

Having a huge issue with a new clients run. Nothing was changed, same etoh wash/rotovap/ decarb sop. Same equipment. Just new clients material.

Having an issue with the head temp not staying up.

Pv 200
Sv 200
Hv at 183.2, then drops to 80’s (have to increase heat to get hv to raise)
Micron 230
Heater 75c
Spin 1400

I’m beating my head against the wall since noon. I have aprox 2g in the mains.

Was told they foliar spray safer soap, and may be 6mo-1yr old trim.

The initial etoh cryo wash was done normally, BUT the etoh was 2x darker than prior washes. Same sop. Weight for weight vs prior washes netted ke aboit the same amount of crude.

I shut her down so I dont fubar the crude.

2 Likes

I still think it s in the gear not the crude
Are your vac lines not clogged somewhere ?

2 Likes

your mantle might be going out or not hot enough. you need to boil stuff in order to get temp into the head, the spikes in temp are distillation starting and stopping.

4 Likes

It’s a bubbling and boiling in the bf.

Sv and pv were steady at 200c

Drip drip then nothing when the head temp dropped and stalled. Sv/pv stayed at 200c

Sporadically the heat temp meter would read HHH.c
Then go back to normal

I’ll pull the vac lines later tonight and check.

Thanks for the help.

Try turning your spin bar down until your head temp rises, i often get better flow rates with lower spin bar speeds especially with a full load

2 Likes

Vac lines were clear

Fired her back up again
110 microns

1 Like

Pulled down to 78 microns
Swapped head temp probes
Still at 155 mantle temp and 155 pv, 78 microns, no clogged lines, and still the head temp is 34.1c.

I’ll try cleaning the head, cow, and all the vac lines, change pump oil again, and try again tomorrow.

Could just be that you need higher temp to get flow for the mains? My last run I didn’t have mains flowing until 205-210 in the head even with >10 micron.

3 Likes

Is the bf and head well insulated ?
If the room temp feels the same but the air is dry this also can effect thermodynamics making. Things different

1 Like

Yes, I used to use fiberglass rope, but had a great month, so splurged on thermoshields gor the bf and head.

I dont think it’s a vac issue. I was pulling down to my normal 80 microns. I tore her all apart today. Soaking in acetone, and cleaning all vac lines.

Keep the help coming. Much appreciated!

was it refluxing above the ground glass joint on the bf?

1 Like

Occasionally when the head temps were up, then magically it lost “power” and dropped head temp. It’s weird. I got thru the terp/residual solvent phase in the 1st recieving flask.

It’s like it was just starting to pop, then falls on its face.

There are no clogs in vac lines, anywhere. Microns go down w/o issues.

raise the mantle temp, you were just below the fraction it sounds like, a vac leak/ deficiency will raise the temp needed to distill.

2 Likes

I had it steady at 80 microns

I was afraid to go higher than 200c mantle and pv temp due to creating cbn vs thc.

My previous 2 runs went perfectly. Beginners luck I guess. 2 runs prior was MY personal boimass. This run was a clients.

I tried raising it before, I was at 205sv and 205pv and still nothing

Depending on the mixture of stuff in your bf you may want to use a little more heat, I have worked with mantle temps that were in the 220c range that produced 170C head temps in the main body fraction.

1 Like

I’ll give her another go on Tuesday. My brain need to relax before I end up in the er again with another super migraine.

1 Like

Headaches aren’t fun, have you considered psilocin or psilocybin monthly to treat headaches?Sufferers of cluster headaches get relief like this.

5 Likes

I’ve been on immitrex for 4yrs now.

I have found doing a dab of disty and cbd isolate to help the pain, but it only works for 20 mins.

I have a 6yr old, I cant grow shroomies at home due to the fear of accidental exposure.

Shroomies are for cluster headaches (prooven relief), not sure about migraines

1 Like

That sucks bro, hope you get it figured.

1 Like