Solventless Terpene Extraction

I guess it depends on what we define scaleable is; it’s nothing more than a co2 setup with a step beforehand, and (in my opinion) a faster extraction afterwards. Would probably have the same runtime to yield as a co2 setup, with better turps? It’s always going to be less and less scalable for the higher and higher turpene retention though I’d assume.

Unless something new has been developed, to my knowledge inert gas stripping doesn’t work well on a large scale.

1 Like

I guess really hard vacuum on large tubes can be an issue? Any guess as to what it would top out at? Or what limitation you’d need to overcome?

1 Like

I believe the vacuum is the main issue, at some point it’s not cost effective to have the capability of getting a vessel that holds 10 lbs down to the appropriate depth.

1 Like

Guess I’ll just run an army of 5lb tubes :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

Well that isn t really a problem full vac is 1kg to every 1cm2 so 32" diameter ss pipes can hold that straight

1 Like
4 Likes

Cheers, I posited the chilled 4th vessel to my lab partner way back. It can be recovered from the recycler if timed properly, hardly worth it in my experience.

I would imagine the chilled vessel utilizing a bypass of the first 3 collection vessels would allow for better quality and preservation as opposed to having it exposed to varying pressure and higher temperature. If it were up to me, I’d have extracted at much lower temperature and higher pressure.

2 Likes

I don’t deal with c02 but that sounds ideal

2 Likes

Does the lower temp higher pressure increase turpene solvency but not pickup the thc?

Also, there’s mention of the extra expansion chambers… If you were only doing the turpene pull without the thc pull, could you do it on just the single chilled chamber? Or would you still need multiple?

1 Like

It would just be a means to avoid terpene degradation, depending on the parameters you could pull it all to one vessel. It would be pretty painstaking though,

2 Likes

You’re correct as far as seeing solventless,meaning one and only not co2,but sho solvenltess rosin,hash,ice wax,live hash rosin,full melt etc

You can seperate natural terpenes simply by cold curing,pressing at different temperatures,repressing,leaving in jars on heat etc. Ive foind between a sweet spot of temerstures oils from both hash rosin and rosin eill crash out into a cake badder,sauce sigsry form then finslly decsrb and clear out depending hoe long you take on the heat.

Hadnt seen to many people do it before myself other than the few id watched on instagram out of california then shared temps with a couple others in the pnw and some of yhe best on the shelves is clesr now.

I prefer cold cure,low temp press and the “clear” is cool for looks obviously. Roisn and hash rosin are yer to be the future but already were .

3 Likes

Even if you distill subcritical CO2 terp pull, you’ll still have colour.

Ever heard of a Myer’s Vacuum? Essentially a centrifuge instead of wiped film distillation process. I’d imagine that those could be clear but I’ve never used or seen one before.

We extract Terpenes using CO2
I do it all the time and I get a good amount of money for them

We pull our Terps off of our plant material before we decarb and then pull the THC

3 Likes

Decent strategy. OP does that too I believe. They were asking about solventless strategies.

Do you tell your customers your process is solventless?

Do you consider it to be “solventless”?

2 Likes

I do not
I do not tell them that it’s solventless and honestly the thought hasn’t crossed my mind until I read about this debate with people the other day

The reason my client likes the Turpines so much is because their cannabis derived and that’s as far as their stated interest has gone

Honestly they’re very very good even though they range from the light yellow to dark the lightness or darkness is not really The big indicator of the overall pungency and flavor quality

Honestly some of our sunshine for Turpines are the best I’ve ever experienced anywhere and usually they come out pretty dark

3 Likes

Awesome!

CO2 has some very useful properties, my only issue with it is the marketing baloney surrounding it.

Some of it is coming from the equipment manufacturers, some from the producers. It’s all aimed at the uneducated or uninformed.

Glad to hear such nonsense had not crossed your mind until you ran into it being confronted elsewhere :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It certainly would be misleading and moreover it would be incorrect to call CO2 solventLess

THC and THC aCBDCBD a Turpines and all these other plant compounds enjoy different degrees of solubility in CO2

I noticed you’ve got a lot of experience Around here

I’ve heard of c02 extracts referred to as solvent free, id assume it’s cause there is no co2 left in the extract once finished. I think a lot of the marketing ploys now a days do a disservice to everyone.

1 Like

There is “solvent free” for those who want to claim there is none left in their product. Solventless should be reserved for those processes that don’t use solvents.

And then there are folks like this who will try and pretend they did not use ethanol after they used CO2

The solvent may be Kosher but their ad copy isn’t…

5 Likes