Solventless -> insert solvent of choice-> Extraction

lol years and years ago, back in like 2009 maybe 2010, i recall having one of the growers i worked with come to me with about 15lbs of some very rough looking, bulk trimbin sift and ask if it was possible to turn this into dabs in any way. and yeah this was before rosin and back then was the prime days of open blasting lol. i told him you could probably blast it, but seeing how dense it all was i suggested using some loose trim to break it up and to keep it from blowing out, but he decided to ignore my suggestion and packed a half lb tube

What happened?!

3 Likes

Super bad cliffhanger lol

I was like wtf, then what…

3 Likes

Terpy hair gel

4 Likes

lol fuck my phone died hahaha… but shiiit yo… 2 n a half cans in thst thing exploded like a fucking pipe bomb, tooo much pressure, the butane just pushed the kief down but didnt soak thru so it all just built up maaad pressure. ripped thru dudes hands n arm n chest, he had to get his left arm amputated from right above the elbow… i hated to do it, but i had to tell him i told ya so… lol i warned him not to, i offered to do an ethanol wash on it vs that but he just wasnt bout it…now, i make his solventless meds for him onna monthly basis

4 Likes

Thats why ya need the rubber stopper lol

Hopefully your friend has a decent quality of life still thats nuts

but yeah man, apparently in everyone’s experience, running any sort of solventless extract w solvents is just a huge waste of time and money and suuper risky. if ya got some kief you wanna play w, at the very least, sprinkle it in w a flower run… but best bet would be to just smash that shit or toss into oil for edibles…

1 Like

Realistically you could pack your kief into a liquid bag filter and do a “primary extraction” into a holding chamber, then send that through staged micron filters before you evaporated any gas.

It’d be a pain in the ass in terms of how often you’d change bags and such but not terrible.

But mainly you’d be changing the post-primary extract bag more than anything, that’s why I suggest separating them.

Clogging is a huge issue w kief and it’s gonna take a lot of trial and error to figure out how to do it perfectly—but this is probably a good initial setup

4 Likes

which rubber stopper are you talking about? and anyway this was a good decade ago so tech n equipment wasnt what it is today loll. and homie is fine, he’s just one arm short and scarred tf up these days but still good…

Fuck!

Yeah some folks just know better than to listen.

Not much that can be done.

a) that needs documenting in Failures
b) one up’s the traditional “kiefs a bitch”…and as such needs immortalizing as Kief is a fucking bitch to solvent extract. Squish it! so we can point people at it.

although maybe over in failures :wink:

1 Like

Those dog hair terps tho…mmmm mmmm

Thank you all for your replies! Ive been crazy busy in lab, and just had time to scope this thread today. Thanks again for all the input! Peace fam!

Clogging is another issue besides the color that I’ve ran into.

Lots of cotton balls.

I have done this countless times. dry ice sift then pack the material column with marbles periodically pouring keif into the column… needless to say, it does work however you definitely need to do a pass via a buchner funnel and some decoloring medias., ALSO VERY IMPORTANT - DO NOT TRY THE MARBLE SHIT VIA OPEN BLAST! I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE! I HAD A MARBLE SHOOT OUT THE BOTTOM LIKE A BULLET AND IT JUST EXPLODED THE DISH I WAS COLLECTING MY RUN INTO AND I ENDED UP WEARING IT ALONG WITH EVERYTHING IN MY GARAGE MANAGED TO GET FUCKING NICE AND STICKY.