Solvent tank condensing coils, are they worth it?

Looking at buying a condensing coil for my solvent tank and would like to know what the pros / cons are if you’ve used one?

Does the outside of the tank still require cooling with an internal coil?

Couldn’t find much on the search bar any info apprecieated, thanks.

1 Like

Best of both worlds is jacketed with a coil, so if tou want to use the tank to push with tou can bu warming and the coil can chill it, also depends on your chiller size and bow much gas your recovering and how fast

7 Likes

Pros, chills vapor, hopefully into liquid, best used in a dry ice slurry to maximize heat transfer along the length of the tube. If using single pass coil, inlet in the side that winds down with gradual slope, outlet is the leg up from the bottom.

Cons, none. Every hydrocarbon extractor needs at least one heat exchanger between the collection vessel and solvent tank. Type and size determined by solvent blend, speed of recovery desired.

Yes, the solvent tank should still be chilled whether with an internal coil, extenal jacket, or other means, to lower its pressure and send cooler solvent over your material.

5 Likes

@SamuraiSam A little off topic, on a double wrap coil, would I want my inlet on the inner wrap, or outer wrap? I have thought about this a lot, but this is the first comment I have seen referencing anything regarding the appropriate inlet/outlet of a coil.

I use 50ft double wrap coils for injection and recovery.

2 Likes

The reason I do it this way on single pass is that solvent cools gradually as it travels downwards and coldest part of bucket is at the bottom then it exits straight up

On a double wrap coil it shouldn’t matter since it’s taking its sweet time to go up and down

But I put inlet on the outside coil in a big bucket and inside in a small bucket the coil barely fits in

Whichever side has more contact with the cold stuff.

Probably percentages of a percentage here but I’m good at overthinking simple things

5 Likes

I like bottom draining coils so you can use gravity, i have a 50’ 3/8 bottom draining above my tank and below my pumps.

4 Likes

Used a bottom outlet coil in a tube from BHOgart years ago. Worked great. Also have never had an issue with pressure from collection / pump keeping everything flowing

1 Like

Ya I prefer them no added pressurw from having to go up and down, i also have a valve and then a T so i never empty mt coil and can re vac the system,always felt like i was loosing alot of gas in the big coils.

2 Likes

If anyone is looking for some coils I have 4 stainless immersion coils available:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info guys! I’m having trouble finding a coil attached to a 6" triclamp lid with a diptube anyone have a source?

Best value sells some coils like that nust mot aure of rhe size

2 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/i/274239686628?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274239686628&targetid=883687709934&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9033728&poi=&campaignid=9343998924&mkgroupid=94993840979&rlsatarget=pla-883687709934&abcId=1139336&merchantid=113680357&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-s_uu9Do6QIVuhatBh0FjgrkEAQYAyABEgLe7vD_BwE

3 Likes

We can make one for you at Pinnacle Stainless if you cant find the one you are looking for. hit me up troy@pinnaclestainless.com

1 Like

Not always. I run dual tanks with a hot coil in one.