Solvent-less: Bubble vs Dry Sift

Hey everyone!

Recently we’ve been working on our hash game. We’ve managed to nail down a really solid bubble hash process that has been producing top results. As we start moving toward a more complete solvent-less offering I’ve been putting some thought into bubble hash vs dry sift. I’ve noticed that all the top solvent-less products seem to be produced with bubble hash. I can’t find anyone doing it with dry sift. Is there a solid reason why bubble is preferable over well-refined dry sift for this purpose? Is there a quality or yeild difference? I spent some time with the search bar earlier and didn’t come up with a good answer.

Are there any solvent-less artists out there who care to offer some insight?

2 Likes

Blue River’s Flan is supposedly nitrogen dry sift rosin. If you go the dry sift route dry ice (or apparently nitrogen assisted which I know nothing about really) is what I would suggest. I know that’s not exactly your question, but in my opinion it’s superior to bubble hash in that there is no terpene/flavanoid loss from water.

4 Likes

dry sifting takes more time vs bubble hash.
i make dry sift much better flavor. i think a
better high but that’s me. i use a vibrating flat
screen over glass. i do not do the dry ice or
anything. just dry leafs/buds. i think there is
a little better yeild with bubble hash. with
tumblers they have now it might be faster
than a flat screen.
Lrus007

3 Likes

Dry ice sift absolutely sucks because the plant matter freezes and becomes super frangible and then ya got a lot of impossible to remove (mechanically)plant product

2 Likes

Afternoon @TheLostBiologist,

@_joe is correct that the dry-sift brings out considerably more plant material into your material. With that said, you should be able to dial-in your pressing parameters (or other solvent-less post-refinement processes) to separate the good from the bad. One example could be grading your presses and re-purposing the low grades as an edible/topical feed material. This will limit efficiency of yields, but keep process steps minimal. As for bubble hash - solid design as it’s own skew - but seems less efficient when considering extra drying steps.

Regards,
-Reefer

5 Likes

How do ice water hash yeilds compare to dry ice and bho yeilds?

Also has anyone experiermented with Temps just above or just below 32 degrees for dry sift? And has anyone experimented with adding a very small amount of a solvent like ethanol to there ice water hash to allow for a lower temp?

a solvent like ethanol would gum up the bubble bag screens.
to drop the temp you could use salt water. then wash hash after.
as for yields i do not know. but i like dry sift better.

1 Like

I wonder if you could build a jacketed cylinder with an open top that holds iquid Nitrogen. Then you could insert entire branches(while holding them with some heavy duty gloves), and just shake all the trichomes off, drain off the Nitrogen, then recover the kief.

3 Likes