Solvent allowance survey

Hi,
I would like to open a discussion about how much solvent storage each municipality is allowing.
Lets talk about fire code, occupancy, and fire suppression.

5 Likes

Long beach follows nfpa and cfc closely. Our building is allowed 150lb butane per control area.

No transfilling indoors even in a c1d1 enclosure

10 gal open use pentane/hexane, 30 gal. In closed systems. (Class 1a liquids)
30 gal open use ethanol, 120 gal in closed systems. (Class 1b liquids); both per control area

2 Likes

I think all the local AHJ’s just make shit up because the industry is still relatively new to them. I’m an hour North of LA considered H2 and allowed 150 lbs compressed liquid per control area. Having sprinklers allows me to double to 300lbs. Spoke with my local fire chief the other day and he said he thought I could do even more than 300 because of my firewalls. I’m waiting to hear back on this one in writing. Liquids in drums I forget the exact MAQ but I do know I can have at least two drums inside as long as they’re in flam cabinets and not in the extraction room. Not allowed to store any solvents in extraction room. Can only store tane outside in cage. MAQ for liquid whether it’s EtOH ISO or pentane is the same. I’m only allowed to fill inside my C1D1, no filling outside, but I think this is due to my proximity to other buildings. My cage location is within 25 feet of another business.

2 Likes

Where would one go or start to learn more about proper storage and handling of solvents and hydrocarbons?

I mean this is pretty much just all written out in the NFPA code. NFPA 400 should elaborate on MAQ. Are municipalities superseding the NFPA code for what is allowed and restricting it further?

Edit: I’m in Michigan and I pretty much just follow whatever is written in the respective NFPA chapters and I haven’t had any problems from my fire inspectors.

4 Likes

Thank you I’ll definitely give this a look

Yes, a lot of places make a more strict code than nfpa when it comes to MAQ’s.

1 Like

Oregon Fire code attached, it also covers a lot of questions people usually have.

Brushett-Hash-oil-extraction-and-the-Oregon-Fire-CODE.pdf (2.0 MB)

5 Likes

Ah, that’s unfortunate! I guess I’m lucky that I’m only held to NFPA standards and nothing more stringent.

As @thesk8nmidget has mentioned, it sounds like there are plenty of places that will hold you to more stringent guidelines than what is listed in the NFPA chapters.

Having said that, I still think it is worthwhile to get familiar with the NFPA chapters and codes, and then of course look into if your local inspectors are going to hold you to more strict amounts.

EDIT: If you make an account at NFPA.org you should be able to access all NFPA chapters/codes at no cost. There is a ton of information there so I would start with NFPA 1 and NFPA 400. These are going to be your best starting points in my opinion.

4 Likes

To my understanding:

It’s up to the fire Marshall to determine how to best translate and implement NFPA

in my state I’ve seen 150 to 300 lbs of hydrocarbon with and without sprinklers

Some spots with multiple burn locations so that could be multiplied with sprinklers

And in others states I’ve heard the same.

This is a great link. Thanks.

1 Like

Don’t forget about IFC…

https://www.ci.independence.mo.us/userdocs/ComDev/2018%20INTL%20FIRE%20CODE.pdf

2 Likes

No problem! It lays it out there pretty well.

1 Like