So... who said you need to winterize?

Yeah 2013-2014 off this was where I learned it from and this is my only cannabis related forum I ever frequented.

I learned about rso and washing buds with ethanol and then I had the brilliant idea to Google what happens when you put BHO in ethanol and that came up and I went “holy shit” did it exactly as followed but then started to incrementally upgrade to actual lab glass with ground glass joints and vacuum filtration. I didn’t know I was doing anything right for as long as I was. I was just going off of extremely basic stuff and then eventually I found this site and I learned I wasn’t doing too bad and that everyone here has the same interests and I stayed here. … Now I have an addiction to a forum…

5 Likes

Haha yup, that’s how I did it for the longest time. Sooo many coffee filters!

2 Likes

It didn’t take long for me to upgrade to a vacuum funnel. Maybe about 5 months or so.

Before I went vacuum filtration there was a learning phase in between the coffee filters and the vacuum filtration where, I got a flask and a non vacuum assisted buchner funnel and was keeping my mixture in the non vacuum buchner in my freezer overnight and by morning it would be done.

My roommates that were living here at the time were getting a little annoyed by it and I learned they had vacuum assisted buchner funnels and then I upgraded to the vacuum assisted filtration.

I used to use syringe filters to get really low micron so I’d do that with jumbo syringes filled with ethanol and dissolved material. I’d have to tell my roommates to be extra careful if they opened the freezer.

2 Likes

I still have a whole bunch of 0.2 micron restek syringe filters. Haven’t been able to bring myself to toss them.

Hi there.
Yep. I’ve skipped open blasting.
I’m pretty new, and read a lot when I have time. Future4200 gives me tons of information. My goal is to break into extracting, but I’m pretty busy with current project. So I read, and read and wait and ask questions until I’m informed enough to buy some gear and get started.
I’m going to keep asking new guy questions and wont get offended by people who are offended.
I appreciate your guys’s open sharing. Thanks.

7 Likes

Good on you for skipping open blasting.

There are some things you can learn from it.

A really clear demonstration of evaporative cooling.

Welcome. Keep asking questions!

Remember, chances are someone else has already asked most of the questions you’re likely to have.

Doesn’t mean they’ve been answered, certainly not unequivocally, but it does mean you should poke around a bit and see what clues you can find before asking most of the time.

Response time here can be phenomenal if you’re stuck…but if you want someone to do your homework for you, then you should be willing to compensate them for that.

Edit: …and posts all in italics are taking the piss. Which I was doing. As was @FicklePickle. AND evaporative cooling is a thing…and the Pros do use tricks such as I described.

6 Likes

One more suggestion for an eager new member: if you link to the topics you have read about a particular topic when asking a question, it’ll help us help you with what the missing knowledge is. Also makes some of the crankier regulars more happy to chime in

6 Likes

I agree 100 percent. I usually only ask if I run across something that I haven’t read yet, or something that some says that I don’t understand. Thanks

I was more so laughing at the thought of just letting your solvent evaporate to atmosphere as a form of cooling it. It would be funny to hear that argument…

4 Likes

If it was bho done cold this is possible but what are you after and how reliable are the test results. To me its piece of mind and integrity. If theres lipids and thisbis supposed to be disty… get rid of them… if there are heads fractions makingnit look like theres no lipids because theyre in solution… get rid of them… i dont trust trst scores. I trust my process. Just my twin pennies

5 Likes

:exploding_head::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, in principle. The lab we use knows their stuff. All brand new Agilent equipment and qualified staff running it.

The client wants single pass disty and it has to be at least 80%, but I’m pretty sure I can’t help but be over 90.

I don’t think there’s any way there’s heads in it. I run my condenser at 97C and decarb/deterp beforehand at 105C under 29" of vac. When I vac on my feed flask after loading up some crude it pulls to 150 mTorr with little/no bubbles.

The run pictured below I ran yesterday. It was run at 165/97 and 130 mTorr at .5L/h feed rate. I got a 70% disty to crude yield. Run took me about 3.5 hours start to finish. 1030g from 1476g crude and 6500g of bio.

Crude was extracted from dry flower with 70/30 butane heavy solvent in your typical shatter recipe (-40 solvent)

The run I’m doing today is extracted with 100% n-butane. I can already tell it’s different. I’m already 12C hotter on evap than I was yesterday to get the recovery rates I’m looking for. Might have to back down the feed rate.

2 Likes

Theres your kicker, -40C will get rid of most “waxes” (but not all lipids). So seeing this looks right. But yea define your goal by the customer and over achieve. Honestly it doesnt matter to me… my clients only ask that i make the best i can… so every detail is done.

Good work on the sop layout sounds right to me.

3 Likes

Thanks brother! Much appreciated.

The 100% n-butane run clouded up completely once it cooled down. Looks like propane being present helps immensely in avoiding wax and lipid pickup. Extraction was done with the same recipe as the 70/30 n-heavy.

1 Like

Dissolve some in methanol and you will know the wax lipid content

5 Likes

It has been my hunch for a long time that cold propane picks up significantly less fats than cold butane.

I think it probably has to do with the smaller size and surface area of the molecule effecting the London Dispersion force.

The very few times I have ran crude in my propane system there were hardly any fats at all when the extract was redissolved in etOH and chilled.

I was using decent quality crude trim though, not garbage.

It would be interesting to see a controlled side-by-side test for fat content with the same input material and extraction parameters but the only difference was butane vs. propane.

I am a big propane fan and I honestly don’t understand why people use butane over propane.

So many advantages to propane.

2 Likes

In my limited experience with propane, it’s much less effective at grabbing cannabinoids, probably for the same reason it leaves behind fats.

I’ve yet to find the magic ratio between butane and propane that maximizes cannabinoid extraction without pulling fats, but we’re working on it. Also want to try straight ISO for the same purpose.

2 Likes

Hi @Tech1145 HNY,
Can u tell us more about your liquid separator please? How is it constructed? I wanna try it in lieu of a sieve.

Mod edit: see Liquid separator instead of molecular sieve

2 Likes

check it out…

1 Like