So... who said you need to winterize?

I know it’s always been said that you have to winterize before distillation, especially hydrocarbon extract. I’ve done it without winterizing in the past and my disty always went cloudy after cooling.

Why, then, can I now get disty in a single pass on a 2" pope that looks like this without using ethanol? This isn’t a brag, I’m genuinely curious. I’m not saying this is fat/lipid free. In fact I’m sure there are still a few lipids present, but obviously not enough to cloud the distillate.

It tests in the mid 90s. My bio to disty yield is just under 12%. What’s going on here, in y’all’s opinion?

Am I wrong thinking that it’s kind of a big deal to take hydrocarbon extract direct to distillate without going through ethanol winterization first?

Extracting with -40 solvent, no inline dewax, decarb/devol under vac, using hot condenser tek on the pope.

5 Likes

COA so you know-a

2 Likes

@spdking made up winterization to sell more pig filters and expensive filter paper, the rest of the industry gear guys caught on and used the myth to sell everyone giant rotovaps and filling films and chest freezers etc

17 Likes

Good enough

15 Likes

I was winterizing back in 2012 to make “absolute amber” for omicrons long before I heard of summit. Learned it from skunkpharm/gray wolf/icmag forums.

15 Likes

I mean, if that’s all it is…

fuck… :man_facepalming::joy:

4 Likes

Lol! Maybe hot condenser does something? @anon42519203

3 Likes

If you are maintaining those cold parameters your initial extraction is selective enough to leave out the fats and lipid compounds that would need filtered out

7 Likes

It’s not that hot, I’m still running plain water in my condenser. Been thinking about switching to a pg blend to go hotter but haven’t yet.

I will say that I’ve only tested non dewaxed/winterized material in the past that was extracted with solvent warmer than -40, so that indeed may be the ‘good enough’ point.

2 Likes

I made quite a bit of distillate from warm butane extractions. That definitely had to be winterized.

6 Likes

Same. It was a grand day when I got my first rotovap and 20l filter flask. Always wanted to try and make candles with the waxes.

2 Likes

Cold hydrocarbon extraction straight to distillate is nothing new at all.

8 Likes

Well where TF have I been? :joy:

4 Likes

How do you get -40 extraction? New guy here. Thanks

1 Like

Bad ass chillers are ideal…

6 Likes

Well, dry ice is about -70C, so not a bad place to start.

6 Likes

if you’re using propane, you can vent half your tank and get into that general temp range…

17 Likes

that’s how the pros do it

8 Likes

the process of venting drops the temp?

did you skip open blasting?

even releasing 200PSI air from your solvent tank will cause the outlet to frost over.

yes, @PharmExOregon is correct, you really should know wtf you’re doing if you’re gonna use evaporative cooling to chill any part of your system…and @FicklePickle is also correct, it is a trick the pros use.

I for instance have run a couple of lbs of solvent into my vacuum jacketed columns and recovered that to chill them down before filling and soaking. I used the head pressure I gained by recovering to push the -70 solvent (no head pressure) out of my solvent tank.

Edit: @grawolf was kind enough to share the maths behind this trick. figured a crosslink was worth the edit. see: Recovery tank capacity - #38 by Graywolf

20 Likes