So I made a thing to decarb with

Sorry if i’m misunderstanding, but i was under the impression that the higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. Water stays liquid at 450F and 1800 PSI.

2 Likes

That’s my understanding also. But I’m dyslexic so I just assume people flip shit backwards in their heads too lol.

1 Like

Yes correct by placing the oil in a butane mixture the room temp is
At 2.3 bar
All compounds are therefore suppressed of their boiling point
Also the terps you want to save
Heating this mixture will raise the pressure and boiling points
And hopefully not degraded the terps

7 Likes

Will raising the pressure also raise the minimum decarboxylation temp?

2 Likes

No. Decarb temp has nothing to do with pressure. temp only.

@Photon_noir mentioned that adding pressure during decarb could create some unwanted isomerization. I will give it a shot with an oxygen free atmosphere, at a slight positive pressure. I am hoping to find or make an adjustable pressure relief valve so I can control the pressure in the vessel through the decarb process, while not allowing pressure back in to the vessel. Basically, a pressure check valve.

Edit - found a 0-20psi adjustable PRV valve that’s good for 250 degree F

9 Likes

Dunno if you have seen this post, but I was going to give this a shot I think at some point myself. I can put a ball jar in a little 4" tri clamp pot similar to your setup, then pop that in a sous vide bath.

2 Likes

Am I to understand decarb happens at a certain temp no matter the pressure or lack there of? So when changing pressure you alter boiling point of terps and there for can keep alot of wanted substances while making this product active orally? So essentially you can make a better medicinal product? From what I have read before pressure does not change decarb. If you can change pressure, save desirable’s and still do a decarb process I believe this could be a really good device to have.

6 Likes

Yup, that’s the thought behind it. Adding a decarb catalyst should also help negate degredation from heat.

5 Likes

So now a correlation chart between decarb temp and pressure to retain desired substances is valuable. Where is the cross curve between perfect temp and pressure?

1 Like

That’s the idea. I will be trying this in a few days. Made a nice little PTFE cap for the cup today. It has vent holes and an O ring for retention. Fits under the vessel lid with .200" of clearance.

I’m hoping to have an opportunity to to get photon to expound upon the isomerization under pressure, as I’m completely ignorant on this stuff.

I need to hydro the little guy so I can run it tomorrow or Saturday. Off to the shed…

10 Likes

My question was obviously rhetorical. The idea of decarb and not having to huff your meds is the future in my mind. This topic gets my balls rolling :upside_down_face:. I believe we are made to ingest cannabinoids but there is so much better ways than smoking them. I love my doobs and all but I do not want to be that person you can hear a mile away hacking there lungs up.

3 Likes

I still have this coa for reference to lack of degradation of terpenes

11 Likes

That’s pretty interesting… I’d worry some of the more delicate/volitaile ones or trace ones would change. Much like wine isn’t the same once it’s gotten over a certain temperature. How was it qualitatively speaking? Same flavor/smell?

What is the specifics of the COA reference? Is this showing the post decarb terp profile? Was there a pre decarb profile to compare to? Sorry…I’m slow…

3 Likes

Hydrostatic test at 150 psi was good. Got an ounce of oil in it. Vacuumed down vessel, filled with nitrogen, vacuumed down again, filled with 7psi of nitrogen. Just went into oven at 240 degrees.

Had a few free min Friday…and got some Teflon in the lathe. Made a few more oil cups, lids, and a little sample dish for shits and giggles. Gotta make something out of it or it gets thrown away…

24 Likes

I really wanna know if this helps retain terps. I guess a side by side w test would tell.

I wonder if mixing some bho sugar w disty to flavor then decarb in the disty to retain terps

3 Likes

Well, I ran it last night. The terp profile seemed nearly identical, but I only left it in the oven for 80 min. I think next time I’ll leave it in for two plus hours.

The oil is partially decarbed, and is fine in a cart.

After removing the vessel from the oven, I let it cool a bit on the counter, I put it in the fridge for an hour, and let it cool off. When I opened the valve to vent it, there was slightly more positive pressure than when I put it in the oven.

I won’t say it was a massive success, as I need to dial in the decarb tek. But I think the value is here, in that my extract was still quite tasty. It will take some playing with, but I think it kicks ass. Yall can basically build these with off the shelf parts…I just made a purpose built rig for it.

12 Likes

edit, answered while I was typin!

1. Year using cheap good flavored sugar decarb as flavoring for carts
5 Likes

I wonder how this translates to typical pressure in cannabis. I was going to pressure test my bho setup with compressed air tomorrow and control pressure from outside my control area—but I’d like not to ruin my room when testing at 200psi

4 Likes