Simple Winterization SOP

I’m going to be posting a new SOP every week on our blog! Please check it out. We look forward to any and all feedback.

https://www.grmlabs.com/blog/winterization-101

21 Likes

Great write up s :clap::clap::pray:

3 Likes

awesome

1 Like

Awesome write up! thanks for sharing!

I think one thing may need cleared up for less experiences users,

"Step 2: Primary filtration

Using a buchner funnel, insert into the funnel a 1/2 in layer of Celite or Diatomaceous Earth (DE). With the filtration layer added, run your solution through the funnel."

I would add put in a filter paper then the 1/2 layer of Celite or DE

2 Likes

Thank you sir, definitely an oversight.

3 Likes

Good job, ive been using methanol for a few yrs and it is the best for winterizing. I only do 1 cold filtering down to 1 micron.

5 Likes

no no thank you!

1 Like

Is a 1/2" layer of Celite or DE enough for filtering large volumes material? Is there a point where the filter media needs to be replaced?

Thats all dependent on diameter of filtering surface and also what you consider a large volume, but usually you would replace the bed of DE every run.

Heres an updated link to the blog above.

https://www.grmlabs.com/post/winterization-101

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but is there anything you can do during the winterization step to also filter out the chlorophyll that might have passed through??

Sorry if this isn’t the correct place - I’m new here, and if this isn’t the right place I’d appreciate any pointers!

Yes there is something you can do about that!

If you hit the search bar you can find plenty of threads on it.

How are you currently winterizing? You could probably implement some of those techniques to remove chlorophyll during your winterization process

3 Likes

Currently I am decarbing, then washing, then I winterize over night in the freezer.

My whole purpose is to make edibles so I am trying to use ethanol while avoiding heptane & methanol.

Thanks for the reply tho! Will deff try to search more!

Methanol is actually the best solvent to perform winterization in. Regardless of making edibles or not… If you properly purge your extract after filtering, and winterizing it really doesn’t matter which solvent you use. Go ahead and use the best solvent for the job, methanol.
Another question, just came to mind… Why the hell are you even winterizing if you’re making edibles? Leave the fats in there…Winterization is generally used for products that you’re going to vape, or smoke… It might even help bio-availability by having the fats in there when it is consumed

3 Likes

The blog post was very helpful but I had a few questions!

Regarding the DE, does the filter paper have to be a specific size??

Those the DE filter out the lipids and waxes because they are in solid form as the mixture is super cold?

Also, would the waxes and lipids stick to the bottom of the container or would it rise like oils suspended in water?

Wouldn’t leaving the fats in the mix leave a bad taste??

I’d love to create something that is potent while leaving out the unpleasant plant tastes.

I’ve never had an experience like that from the fats in an edible. You might be thinking about an MCT tincture that’s been sonicated, which is allegedly something that has a horrible taste to it.
I actually always seems to get a decent terp profile with my extraction that carries all the way through to the finished product. I generally make sugar cookies when I make batches of edibles. The reason I prefer sugar cookies is because of the blandness (or lack of flavor), and the terp profile carries through to the finished cookie. So they taste like tasty weed cookies

1 Like

How cold?

They fall out to the bottom

Probably not, they are going to be so diluted, however IME waxes in your food products lessen shelf life

Long story short take a few trips around the search bar on QWISO/QWET, winterizing, and chlorophyll removal and you’ll get er done pretty quick. I would recommend looking at buchner filtration with a bed of powders to try and remove the chlorophyll and waxes in one go.

1 Like

No, but AO does. Celite acts like a fine filter paper to stop fine material.

I’ve addressed this on F4200 before but I’ll ask again in case there is some better feedback than I’ve gotten in the past, but why the necessity of 10:1 solvent : crude ratio? I do just fine with half that…

What is ao??