Simple Winterization SOP

Appreciate the insight!

In your experience tho, what do you think can cause bitter, flower flavor??

I think atm I am getting very good potency but the flavor is a bit strong, and I am having a hard time figuring out where I’m going wrong.

Probably the flower

Sorry couldn’t resist. Without removing terps via distillation you’re probably gunna taste em.

2 Likes

I definitely don’t have any issues with the terps, I’d actually like to keep them in there if I could.

I’m also having a hard time pinpointing what could be cause the flavor - maybe the soy lecithin or mct oil.

Also wondering if the mct oil is pointless as I’m putting the extract into the edible mixture with lecithin so maybe it’s not necessary?

When I make my edibles I use a 50/50 mix of mct and butter. Maybe trying that will help?
Edit: I’d be willing to bet to problem is the lecithin. If I remember correctly I’ve heard others identify that as the issue

my question is will a long duration for the jars inside the cryo freezer hurt the potency? I currently am filtering several jars at a slow rate due to filter size etc… Im keeping the others stored in the cryo along with some other oil thats in 10:1 eth…

could not access the website…is there any other link also for this?

I think the lecithin is the issue personally.

If anyone is still reading this I would say that 10:1 solvent:crude is a good starting ratio for winterizing an extract with unknown amounts of waxes and fats. If you extract with CO2 this is a more preferred ratio as there are a lot of lipids in there compared to other common methods. You can winterize at a ratio of 4:1 with crude oil from other methodologies like hydrocarbon and alcohol extraction, especially when initial extraction was performed cold. I’ve tried winterizing CO2 crude at 4:1, came out of the freezer like custard.

1 Like

Distill your crude first and 4:1 is cool

1 Like

Do the waxes char the glass or anything? Always been tempted to go this route but never wanted to risk ruining crude.

1 Like

Did this on steel wipers for years

1 Like

Waxes will melt, char comes from sugars, gums carbohydrates, etc

Rule of thumb is only distill hydrocarbon crude without winterizing. Distillation of unwinterized crude obtained from any polar solvent will likely char if the extraction was done at any relatively “warm” temperature. You can take this polar solvent derived extract and extract it into a hydrocarbon, filter out the solids, distill the hydrocarbon and then distill the crude with no charring.

3 Likes

Could you please provide an updated link? Thank you!