Silence of the Labs

What up lab testing community. Y’all gotten real quiet :shushing_face: lately and I was wondering what’s new and has anyone gotten any cool standards or fun stuff to test lately?

Just curious. Haven’t seen anything lately. Been pretty busy maybe I’m missing it.

What’s the latest and greatest topic? Has d8 gotten more compliant? What’s this I hear about top Secret selectively held standards.

11 Likes

Last I heard KCA was making CRMs for some of the iso-THCs, I’ve seen one company saying that is what is being interpreted as d9

The HHC standards being locked down is definitely strange

6 Likes

Yeah I ripped on this on a sales ad the other night but this view is still going strong.

Wasn’t trying to point a finger at the Slanger either, but the subject matter of hhc has me at my limit because people don’t know what they’re getting

Which is why we have the hhc topic now going about the two types. I hope

2 Likes

It hard to believe labs cant make those standards themselves. I bet if I had a prep hplc like a gilson and a few different columns I could make pure standards and I’m by no means an expert.

6 Likes

I can smell the BS from reading on my phone.

2 Likes

Remember now GC is now recognized as more important lately. sup @Dr_Jebril

I say both, both is baller.

2 Likes

Any labs that are accredited (ISO-17025) are required to buy standards from an approved source who is also accredited (ISO-9001 or ISO 17034).

A lab could make standards, but likely would not be able to utilize them for reporting results. For R&D purposes, sure.

15 Likes

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnn

Yes for testing but not for making the standards themselves. I’d imagine doing some chemistry to make the molecules less similar, running them in small prep amounts to get some sort of resolution, and cutting the fractions tightly. Then removing whatever was modified, and throwing it over a prep column again. I’m not implying commercial viability for producing standards, but making enough in house.

I suppose the labs I worked for before cannabis had more tools at their disposal and could justify the cost because they were making commercial products, but it just difficult to believe professionally equipped labs couldn’t make a few nmol of pure product for themselves to use in house.

3 Likes

Didn’t know that, cool facts.

1 Like

I think the lack of knowledge of consumer and most business users in this subject matter is taken advantage of

6 Likes

It’s also the end of harvest, this ignores isomers but that would be a reason why labs have been absent no?

1 Like

I’m still waiting on a lab that is certified for CBE and CBT who has the plug?!

1 Like

Any lab worth their salt is also purchasing at least two separate standards for each cannabinoid. Standards can be made poorly as well, really messes with your accuracy if one of your standards is off haha.

1 Like

The lab I was working for back in the day had an LC/MS with a fraction collector that we were going to use to get our own standards. It was 2011 and there weren’t many on the market. The MS detector shit the bed though.

How the hell is an accredited lab supposed to use standards made by some rando to put out trusted numbers on their CoA? Where is the traceability?.. Dr. Smuck says them molecules do be in there at 1000ppm?

What kind of lab would do this? What kind of client would trust this? Fuck my certs amiright

2 Likes

Still working deeper on the topic. :man_detective:
I’m upgrading to other methods.
Just bought a brand new MS at an auction.:ok_hand:
I’m also buying a brand new hplc, but that will be intented for other analysis such as metals, toxines, pesticides, and trace analysis of thc.

What level of precision are you looking for ?

I believe I can do correct tests for CBT with GC FID
I could only find one standard from cayman. I was actually not that satisfied with std purity and peak shape, but at least it helped me to spot the correct retention time. So far, using FID, I rely on CBD calibration. Precisions is perhaps a bit off dealing with other isolates (still below 2% for CBG, CBN and thcs)., but is pretty fine for mixture where most component are below 25%. I still have to find CBE, or at least make some.

4 Likes

Really just looking for an accredited lab that can place these cannabinoids on a legit COA so I’m not missing 10-30% of my cannabinoid total We have SKUs that would be 80-85% TAC with those included. KCA will quantify them currently but they wont include them on the ISO certified COA which goes out to customers, it’s essentially only a R&D tool.

1 Like

It is fairly easy to ascertain that what you have in your flask is actually one and only one chemical species. With a combination of chromatographic techniques you can convince yourself, doubters, manuscript reviewers, etc., that to be the case.

As to actual identity of the molecule, that usually follows from published procedures and/or comparisons with published NMR data, optical rotation, etc.

Traceability can be achieved by keeping good notes in your notebook.

3 Likes

I’m actually working on getting kca the hhc standards so they can test hhc for the community

Supposedly I have the standards coming in the mail, if they do not arrive this week I’m going to buy some hhc and run chromatography with a partner of mine to make the standards for them