Sift Seeded bud before turning into distillate?

The link posted above is a zig zag seed cleaner. I built one last year from those free but very frustrating drawings. I did upgrade the triangles by using aluminum 90 degree angle stock. It works best when used to suck the chaff out of dusty seeds. It also does a fair job of pulling off immature white seeds that weigh less.

This year, I upgraded and bought a clipper office tester: https://atferrell.com/equipment/clipper/clipper-office-tester

With enough patience, you can mimic a gravity separator by bouncing a plastic box in your arms. I used to use a 12"x24" clear plastic bin. If you take a handful of material, and this works best if you have tossed it over a screen first to remove some dust, place in far end, and bounce the box up and down as you tilt from side to side, the seeds will roll out and collect on the downhill end. It is super easy, and also super slow. I had about 350 pounds of material to process, which is why I bought the Clipper. Using the box would have given me carpal tunnel before I finished.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I know it’s been a while. I can’t believe I hadn’t came across this in my search. What screen sizes did you use, how much did it run you?

I glued a piece of aluminum insect screen into what was the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Bouncing the material in the bucket is faster than just moving across a screen. Prior to that step, I ground the buds with a paint mixer and sifted through a one quarter inch screen. Obviously, I am a low budget operation.

I just cleaned several thousand seeds a few days ago and didn’t even hook up the zig zag (sold my clipper). I am faster with the plastic box. As you bounce the box, the plant material separates from the seeds and can be removed a small amount at a time until it is gone.