Shatter stability question?

How cold r u running. Are you soaking? Are you dewaxing?

Truly, it’s oven technique for a proper shatter. I’ve have yet to perfect it. But from what I’m able to offer is there’s a prime, temperature, vacuum depth, and vac time that will create a perfect shatter.

What I’m struggling with is most of my product is sugaring up if it’s fresh and quality. Which isn’t a bad thing unless you’re trying to make the others…

Longer vac time, and constant vac depth will more than likely, sweat out the terps, don’t worry still favor as F, but create a crisp sugar like product.

Good luck with your research.

1 Like

Tane, temps(wax content) of system all play a role in your finished product.

1 Like

Apothecary36 “Shatter” tek
I think that it is best to let the material tell you what type of concentrate to make. Whether it be shatter, sauce or crumble, there are types of trim/ nug that work better than others. That doesnt mean you cant force your concentrate to be your desired outcome, but some things just wont shatter. Not without seriously degrading the product.

You can start by putting a dehumidifier next to your open bag of material for a day. Or try throwing some 3a dessicant beads in your bag to soak up some moisture? Havent tried that yet.

Run your material with cold af n tane. Dont do any extravagant dewaxing steps in your closed loop. You want to make sure you dont crash your thc out and any fats will help you stabalize your shatter a bit. But if you run warm you will pull too much fat and it could end up being doo doo butter.

After you extract, get your collection pot warm to ensure no nucleation occurs. Your solution should be crystal clear before the rest of the solvent is purged. Pour your slabs when the solution is thick, but still runny. place any scrapings on a seperate slab in case you whip the fudge out of it.

Oven temp 100 f

Throw slabs in, let them sit for 20min to an hour
Or
Throw slabs 1-2 at a time (depends on oven size)

Pull vac and throttle with nitrogen back fill ( or oxygen) to ensure that your slabs dont muffin to the next tray.
The bigger and tougher the muffin, the more stable your slabs will be. Pay attention to that muffin size. It can be a telling point as to what your oil’s viscosity is going to be like.

Once you have broken the muffin by pulling your vacuum to a full depth of -28 hg, you may set it and forget it
For 12-24 hours.
After time is up, turn off heat and let slabs chill for an hour or 2. Break vac, and throw a piece of parchment or ptfe on top of slabs. Stack em up and put them in a fridge. Pull em out one by one after 20 min and flip immediately. If youre struggling, its not cold enough you can try dry ice.

Keep cycling between the fridge and your 100f oven (under vac) every few hours. Flip the slabs every time you pull out of the fridge. Repeat for 12-24 hours.

This should make you a great product that is terpy af and will not sugar up on you. This does not guarantee shatter. I have an alternate tek to make glassy shatter. But i dont want to write about it until ive done it. I honestly get irked when people demand shatter. I feel that it is an inferior product and i dont go out of my way to remove terpenes for custies. I will do it for the famalam on future and will post about it soon. Until then…

29 Likes

Lightly heat gun, flip, repeat. Til you achieve your desired stability. Ive used this method for years.

3 Likes

If you know you’re going for shatter, it also helps to dehydrate the material thoroughly before extraction. I usually leave the material out in a dehumidified room for at least overnight, if not 24-72 hrs.

5 Likes

You can also put a bunch of mol sieve in your oven during purge which i suggest doing anyway.

5 Likes

Tried this an had no success

I’ll give this a try in my next run.

Solvent -30 soaked for 30minutes in a columb sleeved with acetone and dry ice

1 Like

I left it in the oven at 100f for a couple days and it may have got a bit more stable but not what I’m looking for.

Is there some material that just won’t shatter?

What did you try? Are you referring to heat gun tech or vac oven tech?

Heat gun. Lightly heat flip repeat several times. Didn’t change stability at all

Heat gun lightly, let cool, flip. And repeat. It works. If not you have a moisture problem. Or you arent heating enough. Its delicate but you want to heat it to the point where air bubbles pop on their own but the slab itself isnt liquidy. Too much heat will darken your oil due to oxidization and potentially degrade your oil. Its a balance, it works, just take your time, find the sweet spot.

2 Likes

Did you see no change? What kind of heat gun are you using? What temp does your gun go to? How stable is youe extract currently? I used to fill shatter orders this is my bread n butter.

1 Like

It stayed about the same at 15c it is pull/snap at 21c it won’t snap. I’m not sure what temp my gun gets to but I waited till it started to melt a bit and I could see the oil on top move but it wasn’t completely melted. I may have a bit of moisture in my system but I’ve ran three different strains after this and they all game out perfectly.

1 Like

Never heard of this… I think he is pretty much just cooking his terps out honestly lol

I grow my own material, have been running the same strains for a few years now. When I first started growing several years ago, every run of BHO would come out as rock hard shatter. I made some changes to my grow regimen introducing microbes and no till soil techniques and since my first harvest that way I cannot make shatter to save my life. Every run sugars almost instantly and is either super terpy sap or crystallizes extremely quick. Some starting material will be too high in terpenes and will simply just not shatter. I know it’s the material causing this because my extraction process hasn’t changed at all in several years.

I have no science to back that up, just something I noticed in my experience.

11 Likes

So leaving it in the oven at 100f helped a little but not a lot. I’m going to see if I turn my water bath in my recovery up to 80c from 36.5c will evap enough terpenes

Dont go over 90° in your water bath. I like to be in the 80-85°f range.
Im having a simular problem with my material right now and ive tried everything. Took 2 weeks to get it yo shatter proper and by then if was half sugared.
Im going to try getting some different solvent from a different supplier as i have done everything possible to change it so its either pesticides (which they swear they have changed nothing) or its on my end which only leaves the actual solvent at this point.
Do you close loop blast? What are the temps outside?