Shatter stability question?

Correct! It also helps slightly decarb enough to the point where there wont be any nucleation because ive had customers/growers who who would rather have shatter than sugar.

2 Likes

Makes sense! I know what ya mean, some people are dead set on shatter or wax and don’t understand when you try to explain to them why their slabs are not all glass-like shatter. So being able to make that consistently is sweet :+1:

3 Likes

not sure if ypu do this already but ut in oven heat up for 30 mins until oil is up to temp then pull vac

4 Likes

3 days @ 90°f and 99°f flip every 12 hours gets me shatter. 12 CFM and 29.8Hg

1 Like

Ok so after looking through the back threads and not finding a total answer, I’m going to add to this with a bit of an observation and a question.
Backstory:
I have a mini openblaster for on site and micro tests before we buy large batches of biomass. 95% of the test runs I do come out insanely stable, especially if the product is good.

I then run the same product through my cls. The stability is nowhere near the same.
I am going through every variable at this moment, to troubleshoot this.
I have a couple of ideas of why that may be.
1)moisture buildup in my closed loop solvent tank.
2)terpene buildup in my solvent tank.
3)thinner film when purging solvent from the solution.
4)pressure variable changing the chemistry of the extract?

I have been able to produce amazingly stable shatter in my closed loop, it just seems inconsistent. I am doubtful that it is my oven tech, seeing how stability can be observed within the first 20 minutes of being in the oven, at nearly any temp, based off the density and shape of the bubbles in the muffin and the way it muffins.

Does anyone else have any insight on this or any ideas as to why open blasting produces more stable results than closed loop? I’ve tried solvent temps at -40 and room temp. Done my best to mimic everything from open blasting except the recovery process.

(Should this be in its own post?)

2 Likes

@Cosmicmonkeybear What blend of solvent do you run? And do you ever clean out your tank? I use 70/30 butane propane

I found this thread Extraction & van der Waals Force

I noticed my psi in my tank at room temperature was almost 100 at room temp and only got down about 50psi at -30. I emptied my tank there as a decent amount but if ice in there as well and when I replaced it. So I’m thinking I must’ve been told running with a really high% of propane as well as having a decent amount of moisture in there.

1 Like

I’ve been running straight N tane since I read that thread to avoid picking up moisture through iso. I do clean my tanks, but not very often, that’s what I’m doing today, so I can see if it’s a tank issue. I think more moisture and terpene traps before the tank would be awesome in any system. Maybe a heavy carbon filter would grab terps before they enter the tank … I usually run around 114-125 in my system until it’s reduced about 75% and then I drop to 105-110

1 Like

I believe your pulling more fats when doing open. And when running your cls you pulling less of the fats. Just my guess

2 Likes

I’ve done it from a non chilled tank to see if the fats were stabilizing and it didn’t work for stability just dropped my clarity. I’m testing out of a fresh tank of solvent right now and not out of my closed loop tanks to see if I can tell the difference.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. I thought I heard ice in my tank the other day. Changed my sieve beads out and changing the gas. I’m not having the stability issues but more a color issue which I think the water is contributing to.

Just got me a new tank of gas just to make sure

2 Likes

I added a bunch of 3A mol sieve to the bottom of my ovens

1 Like

So, after extensive tests I have isolated it down to 3 possibilities.
Not running enough solvent through my material
Not properly drying my biomass.

I believe it’s one of these 2 issues , seeing how I ran a test with solvent from my tank, new solvent and old solvent not from my tank. All 3 were stable.
Ran a 3# text x 2 into my system and it was stable as well, although not quite as solid as the open blast (I did run at -40 on those tests)
Ran one more at room temp and I just have to wait to pull it out and check when I get home.

Also that was all on the same strain. I will switch strains tomorrow and retest to confirm.

I’ve never dried my biomass and I’ve been able to make great product before. Although all my biomass minus trim is vacuum packed and frozen

Does anyone know at what % waxes start to affect stability?

Equilibration is key!

2 Likes

For the most part in my opinion it depends on the grower, some batches come more stable than others really just depends on what they did in the grow cycle. We’ve tested different nutrient lines in the same room and have had one sappy and the other super stable.

1 Like

Do you know if there is a way to test to determine if it’s not shattering up because of that? I’ve researched for weeks and removed every variable in my power

You’re not running enough solvent I would guess. The solubility of thc in -40 butane is lessened compared to room temp. You could be losing thc a in your column

5 Likes

What temp dosnt sugar start to effect stability? :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Dewaxing favors sugaring so cold and fast. Dumping

1 Like